Gentoo Does An x32 Stage 3 Release Candidate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh how I loved (as in loved to hate) the near and far pointer rubbish :P
    And EMS was truly awful! You had to raise an interrupt saying you want this 64k block allocated in this highmem block...

the Flat 32-bit model was just so much easier to work with!

But seriously x32 is what ia32 _SHOULD_ have been. 8 registers where 2 of them are "special purpose' -> so only 6 registers...

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
      But seriously x32 is what ia32 _SHOULD_ have been. 8 registers where 2 of them are "special purpose' -> so only 6 registers...
      You're right, ESP and EBP are anything but 'general purpose', meanwhile those extra 8 registers we get in x86_64/x32 all are. The x86 architecture is indeed really register starved.

Comment

omg, someone mentioned main mem and EMS. I had just sealed these old wounds.
        EMS was so horrible. Some progs needed it, some hated it so you always had to reboot when you wanted to use a different program.

on topic:
        Gentoo rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          If it's multilib, yes. Just like now with x86-64 distros who also provide 32-bit libraries. Gentoo is not multilib, btw. It can only build x32 packages. (Just like Gentoo AMD64 can't build 32-bit packages.) A true multilib distro might not have those limitations.
          Hm, how did I build 32bit mesa (and supporting libs/software) then?

Comment

Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post
            Hm, how did I build 32bit mesa (and supporting libs/software) then?
            Manually or through third-party tools/repos. But you already knew the answer to that, so why did you ask the question to begin with?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: Gentoo Does An x32 Stage 3 Release Candidate

Gentoo is one of the first Linux distributions to release a packaged installation for the Linux x32 architecture...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTExNTE
              Mozilla should obtain x32 from Gentoo soon. Gentoo's x32 development lead to a patch that is being pushed upstream, as does many of the other things Gentoo does:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=767759

Comment

Working...
              X