Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Ideal (Hypothetical) Gaming Processor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Pickle View Post
    Petteri then the Q's raytracer doesnt support "unlimited fps"
    I know. I just ignore the first 6-7 pages to avoid headache.

    The point seems to be that it is easy to guarantee fixed rendering times (fps) with raytracer (especially if random mess is considered to be correct output )
    If we are not going to extremes, it does make some sense because slight noise in image (murmuring) isn't as annoying as judder and stutter caused by changing rendering times.

    But it isn't a magical solution because after making fps synced to display, you have to adjust rendering resolution, refresh rate or raytracing parameters to get the amount of murmuring down.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Pickle View Post
      ok there we have it, you are constructing a final image to put into the buffer to be displayed. Petteri then the Q's raytracer doesnt support "unlimited fps"
      The "big idea" behind Q's hypothetical raytracer is that it stops constructing the image once a predefined timelimit elapses. If you set the timelimit to 0 it stops constructing the image immediately (hence a blank screen), but your framerate is theoretically "unlimited". The "murmuring rate" simply expresses how many rays the raytracer manages trace before the timelimit elapses. You can't do both vsync and unlimited, because vsync equals a timelimit > 0.

      I can't believe I'm actually discussing language and grammar on Phoronix...

      Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
      Unlogik is a german word: http://de.wikiquote.org/wiki/Unlogik its a combination of 2 fragmentation of un-logik
      and in english logic is writen with C and "undo" is the same in english its a combination of 2 fragmentations un-do
      Yes, great, Unlogik being a German word totally proves that it absolutely must exist in the English dictionary, my fault

      If you want to discuss the English language try using a dictionary like http://www.english-dictionary.us/meaning/unlogic.asp, http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/unlogic or http://dictionary.cambridge.org/spel...ish/?q=unlogic. None of these know "unlogic" as a word.

      The link to "http://www.beatportal.com/artists/unlogic/" on the other hand doesn't prove anything. This is an artist's username for crying out loud. Yes you can also find examples of people using "unlogic" because they're just as confused by different prefixes as you are. That doesn't make its usage correct (Maybe it will be in the future, because natural languages evolve). Your Star Trek wiki cites a fan made movie. They used "unlogic" as a noun to define something that is the opposite of logic (also a noun), which is not necessarily the same as illogical (an adjective). Simply put: They made that word up because it makes sense in their context.

      http://translate.google.de/#en|de|illogic, woops, it translates to Unlogik. At also translates unlogic because it’s a common spelling mistake.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic (Try searching the article for examples of illogic).

      Btw, go ahead and translate my first sentence to German using Google. Doesn’t that translation look unnatural to you? You can make out what it says, but it sounds weird. And on some occasions machine translations can be either wrong or even possibly insulting.
      Last edited by Wildfire; 03-14-2012, 01:40 PM.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Wildfire View Post
        Your Star Trek wiki cites a fan made movie. They used "unlogic" as a noun to define something that is the opposite of logic (also a noun), which is not necessarily the same as illogical (an adjective). Simply put: They made that word up because it makes sense in their context.
        i write the same with a friend hours ago and she make the same mistake as you do.
        she also think the adjective illogical is right in the first time.
        but then after a long fight i called here dump and stupid and other bad names she get the point noun vs adjective.
        this means illogical is wrong and unlogic is right because i translate a german noun to a english noun and not to a adjective.

        and you also do this mistake "Unlogik" is a noun not a adjectiv
        but there is another way to prove it wrong.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationality
        vs
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic

        the words Logic and Rationality are incompatible words
        this means irrational and unlogical are not the SAME!
        Rational is not the same as Logical!
        it can be Rational to be unlogical!
        and Rationality can be unlogical!

        Originally posted by Wildfire View Post
        Yes, great, Unlogik being a German word totally proves that it absolutely must exist in the English dictionary, my fault
        this link was only to make sure you unterstand what kind of german word i try to write.

        and the german word was a "Noun" not "adjectiv" and the german word was a word based on the word "Logic" not based on the word "Rationality"

        Originally posted by Wildfire View Post
        If you want to discuss the English language try using a dictionary like http://www.english-dictionary.us/meaning/unlogic.asp, http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/unlogic or http://dictionary.cambridge.org/spel...ish/?q=unlogic. None of these know "unlogic" as a word.
        this only prove these sources are bad ! because the Logic and the Rationality prove it within my links.

        you just acting unlogicaly and irrationaly if you don't accept my prove.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
          [...] but then after a long fight i called here dump and stupid and other bad names she get the point noun vs adjective.
          this means illogical is wrong and unlogic is right because i translate a german noun to a english noun and not to a adjective.
          Natural languages need not be symmetrical. This means not every word in one language must have an exact representation in another language. This is what I meant when I said it may be possible to express something with a single word in English while you need several words in German (and vice versa).

          In other words: There are two nouns in German, "Logik" and "Unlogik", but this does not mean there need to be two nouns in English as well. There either is logic or there is an absence of logic. There is no real opposite, hence no "unlogic". Something can be illogical if it doesn't follow a certain logic (which means there is an absence of logic), but that doesn't make it "unlogic". The word does exist in German because it makes certain things easier to express, but if you think about it logically, the word Unlogik actually makes no sense.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Wildfire View Post
            Natural languages need not be symmetrical. This means not every word in one language must have an exact representation in another language. This is what I meant when I said it may be possible to express something with a single word in English while you need several words in German (and vice versa).

            In other words: There are two nouns in German, "Logik" and "Unlogik", but this does not mean there need to be two nouns in English as well. There either is logic or there is an absence of logic. There is no real opposite, hence no "unlogic". Something can be illogical if it doesn't follow a certain logic (which means there is an absence of logic), but that doesn't make it "unlogic". The word does exist in German because it makes certain things easier to express, but if you think about it logically, the word Unlogik actually makes no sense.
            again FUD i use the english wikipedia to show you there is a difference between Logic and Rationality!
            because of this you can not use rational for logic!
            because its not the same!

            also FUD... in german a noun is a noun like in english is a noun a noun you can't speak a noun like a adjectiv just because you are to stupid to know the noun version of the word!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
              again FUD i use the english wikipedia to show you there is a difference between Logic and Rationality!
              because of this you can not use rational for logic!
              because its not the same!

              also FUD... in german a noun is a noun like in english is a noun a noun you can't speak a noun like a adjectiv just because you are to stupid to know the noun version of the word!
              Go away, stop trolling.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by fackamato View Post
                Go away, stop trolling.
                defence yourself = trolling ?

                your claim about "trolling" is trolling.

                Comment


                • In response to the OP's question:

                  In general, video games benefit and take advantage of high-bandwidth low-cache systems. If you take a look at the PS2 for example (and old console, yes, but relevant to this example) you'll find that it had a very small amount of onboard RAM and cache compared to other computing devices of it's day. Even today, if you look at the current consoles, they too had small amounts of RAM and cache even on the day of their initial release. I can't say much in regards to the benefits of increased FP performance on the CPU, but I do know that large amounts of cache are often times unnecessary in a gaming console.

                  This is a very old article, but worth a read if you're interested in console architectures: http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2000/04/ps2vspc.ars

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X