2012 Entry Level Desktop - Intel Celeron G530 Performance Guide

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tgui View Post
    My HTPC is a Core i5 2400, 8GB, Gigabyte Mini-ITX motherboard. A little more than you want to spend, but the Intel graphics worked just fine with Ubuntu 11.10. Once again, I have had zero probs with that motherboard.
    Well, if you use Intel graphics with that cpu, you have an Intel HD 3000. The cpu I was looking at, the Celeron G540 has Intel HD which is like a HD 2000 but crippled. The HD 3000 and 2000 are entirely different animals. I read that the Intel HD is fine for all-purpose graphics but might not be too good with HD 1080p video. So, I am back to deciding whether having more processing power is worth it over the AMD choice which is the other way around.

I'll probably go with the Celeron as I might not need the new build for 1080p video but if I ever did, cards like the Nvidia silent 520 low profile card is about $40. I guess it wouldn't add much more power consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
      Hey, wait a second... I havenīt seen even small reference to Linux in your whole "review". What the ack were you reviewing, OEM boxes?
      Exactly.

it was a good "windows" benchmark, but it was just that another windows benchmark, which too many online.

I would like to see some linux benchmarks, unigine ( if possible) , etc.

well anything linux would do with a few screens

Am not sure if everyone knows this but phoronix is mainly a linux site.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
        Well, if you use Intel graphics with that cpu, you have an Intel HD 3000. The cpu I was looking at, the Celeron G540 has Intel HD which is like a HD 2000 but crippled. The HD 3000 and 2000 are entirely different animals. I read that the Intel HD is fine for all-purpose graphics but might not be too good with HD 1080p video. So, I am back to deciding whether having more processing power is worth it over the AMD choice which is the other way around.

I'll probably go with the Celeron as I might not need the new build for 1080p video but if I ever did, cards like the Nvidia silent 520 low profile card is about $40. I guess it wouldn't add much more power consumption.
        My previous HTPC ran a core 2 duo with an Intel MHD 4500 which is slower than the HD2000. I played 1080P MKVs without issue. I could also play quake wars and nexuiz on medium-ish settings. The HD2000 should be fine.

Or... spend some extra $$ on a core i3 2105.

Comment

Working...
        X