AMD 690G chipset under linux?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M2a-vm Hdmi

Thanks for replying. I think the USB issue was the device itself, it did not work properly upside down. I also added an Nvidia 8400GS, and an MAudio Revolution 5.1 and the PCI FM radio card, but they fitted so closely I was concerned that they might touch and short. Kinda defeated the purpose of an all-in-one board. It all comes down to the limitations of fglrx. I have temporarily retired the board. I will use it in my daughters system when AMD make the drivers work (Ubuntu Studio 7.10). I spat the dummy and bought a Gigabyte GA-G33m-S2H and an Intel 6750, plugged in my drives and Ubuntu started up, reconfigured X, found my widescreen monitor and correctly configured it and I got to my desktop without any intervention on my part, and everything works correctly. I had to repair some bits that the fglrx installer had changed, but that was straight forward. The Gigabyte board has a good quality sound chip that sounds as good as the Revolution, and that is saying something. The fan on the Intel is noticeably quieter than the AMD one on my X2 5000+.

As an aside the M2A-VM HDMI seems very fussy about RAM, I helped build one for a friend and it was unstable with generic DDR2 800, but worked well with Corsair (at twice the price). This was running Vista. The generic chips work fine in an Intel system.

I await newer versions of fglrx or advances in RadeonHD, I hope by the middle of the year this will all be a bad memory.

Originally posted by rugger View Post
    Hmmm, I am running slackware 12.1 on an Asus M2A-VM HDMI, with a custom compiled (2.6.23.1) kernel.

My notes are:
    1) Performance is good, SATA works fine.
    2) Stable as a rock. Never crashed.
    3) I have had no problems with USB .... maybe i'm not pushing it hard enough
    4) The fglrx drivers install and "work", for very limited quanities of "work". I have put in a Nvidia 7300LE to replace the onboard and is so far working much better.
    5) I don't use the line-in on the onboard sound, so I am unable to comment on it.

Comment

Has anyone had any experience with this chipset configuration under Fedora 8? I am thinking about buying a motherboard with the 690G/SB600 chipset and installing Fedora 8. Since I'm going to use it as a server I'm not concerned about X Server support for Sound or Video - as long as it's stable, fast and will dislay in text mode and work with a 200Gb HD I'm going to be a happy camper.

Thanks!
      Ron

Comment

Hi,

I put the board into a new case - an ANTEC NSK4480B with a 120gb sata drive and a Pioneer IDE DVD burner. The cpu is a X2 5000+ with 2gb of Corsair DDR2 800 Twin2X also called XMS2. Running the latest fglrx and a 1280x1024 LCD it functions flawlessly as my wife's office computer under Ubuntu 7.10. All of my issues revolved around a widescreen monitor and PCI FM radio card that are now attached to my new setup. It ran before with 2x320gb SATA2 hard discs. For what you want it will be fine. If you used a 45w CPU (BE-2350) and a Western Digital Green Power hard drive and an 80PLUS certified power supply it would sip very little electricity and stay very cool and quiet. Even a standard X2 CPU is only going to add 20w. The ASUS M2A-VM HDMI is a very energy efficient board, this article is most interesting.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/12616/1

Use quality ram, cheap stuff might not work.

Originally posted by rmerts View Post
        Has anyone had any experience with this chipset configuration under Fedora 8? I am thinking about buying a motherboard with the 690G/SB600 chipset and installing Fedora 8. Since I'm going to use it as a server I'm not concerned about X Server support for Sound or Video - as long as it's stable, fast and will dislay in text mode and work with a 200Gb HD I'm going to be a happy camper.

Thanks!
        Ron

Comment

I am having an Asus barebond P2-M2A690G, which is also integrated with the 690G/SB600 chipset. It is running Ubuntu 7.10 Gusty.
          I was having a problem with the USB mass storage. I have two external USB harddrives. The system hung randomly when I copied large file(s) (10G or more) from one drive to another.
          I googled a few days and found out there may be something related to USB IAA bug on SB600.
          Luckily, I found a patch for this bug on Kerneltrap.

http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/li...7/12/11/489824

After compiling the new patched kernel, the bug is gone. So far, the system haven't locked up when transferring large files via USB mass storage.

Bruce

Comment

Thanks bulyst! It helped me to fix my problems.

Comment

OK for me

Finishing a FC8 HTPC based on this board and the BE-2400. Mixed bag so far, but I'd recommend it.

I needed the most recent bios (1604) to get the ati driver to work. BUT TexturedVideo (the new XV system for the IGP) isn't yet supported in 64-bit. I think the 32 bit one works unofficially, and I hope the 64-bit might come out soon. Minimal hardware acceleration would be nice (needed for HD!)

Major problem: with 4GB (2x2GB) ram, S3(STR) had a nasty issue, corrupting the filesystem. Works fine with one module.

Sata works well, with an 80+ PSU, idles at 40W stock with one 160 GB samsung PATA, CD, 2GB RAM, and some usb peripherals.

Performance seems quite snappy, but I haven't benched it yet, and won't be optimal until the video driver works properly.

RADEONHD (opensource) video driver also works nicely, albeit with no acceleration.

I couldn't pass on a $40 openbox at the egg. I'm keen to try undervolting, as the BIOS has some decent options.

Comment

experience with other *nixes?

Hi all,
                I'm looking for a replacement for the dying nforce2 board powering my headless fileserver/mpd box. So far the combo AMD690G + BE-2350 looks great value for what I intend to do, especially since I currently don't own an HDTV (and thus will be happy with HD support at some point in the distant future).

Anybody got any experience with either opensolaris or FreeBSD on this chipset? I'm currently quite happily running 32-bit Arch on this machine, with LVM+RAID1, but I figure if I upgrade to a 64-bit and a decent amount of RAM I might give ZFS a go.

Comment

Working...
                X