X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was a very good test, Michael.

Thank you for disproving me!

Comment

Typically in virtualization software, the guest operates on 'virtual CPU cores'. These virtual CPUs are (depending on the hypervisor) treated as threads which the hypervisor can schedule. Depending on the workload this scheduling can have bad results (the hypervisor scheduler can fight with the guest OS scheduler). Expect issues during high load. A solution is to use what usually called 'cpu pinning' which allows you to lock each virtual cpu to a specific physical core. This might be something to look into.

Comment

how about xen?

dear Phoronix,

A few years ago, there was a paper about performance comparson between xen, kvm, virtualbox, linux-vserver, openvz. In that paper, kvm does not scale well with multi-core, too. I am not sure if it is the same linux issue.

Will Phornix plan to repeat the test with Xen 4.01 to see if it has same problem? Xen alway claims scalability and stability up to 128 cores. If this is still the different between kvm and xen, kvm will have a hard time going to major cloud servers replacing xen.

Comment

Originally posted by soldcake View Post
          A few years ago, there was a paper about performance comparson between xen, kvm, virtualbox, linux-vserver, openvz. In that paper, kvm does not scale well with multi-core, too. I am not sure if it is the same linux issue.

Will Phornix plan to repeat the test with Xen 4.01 to see if it has same problem? Xen alway claims scalability and stability up to 128 cores. If this is still the different between kvm and xen, kvm will have a hard time going to major cloud servers replacing xen.
          Phoronix didn't leave any resources for the host operating system in their test, so the results are invalid and you can't use them for anything or make any conclusions based on them.

Comment

Working...
          X