Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New tool for undervolt/overclock AMD K8L and K10 processors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Seems not to work for me:
    Turion Power States Optimization and Control - by blackshard - v0.422

    cpuid: pread: Invalid argument
    K10Processor::K10Processor - Fatal error during querying for Cpuid(0x80000001) instruction.
    Wrong node. Allowed range: 0--1
    Wrong core. Allowed range: 0--1
    Main processor is
    Family: 0x0 Model: 0x0 Stepping: 0x0
    Extended Family: 0x0 Extended Model: 0x0
    Package Type: 0x0 BrandId: 0x0
    Machine has 0 nodes
    Processor has 0 cores
    Processor has 0 p-states
    Processor has 0 boost states

    Power States table:

    I have cpuid module in the kernel (3.2.9). (TPC 0.40 didn't compile for me so I try 0.422). I have AMD Phenom II 960T (fam 10h, model 10). Is this one supported?

    Comment


    • Just to note, straight after this failure I compiled k10ctl and that one worked fine. From reading the docs it seems these programs have exactly the same requirements (kernel modules, /dev/ nodes etc).

      Comment


      • Thanks aceman.
        At the moment I have one situation like yours, where the call to cpuid 0x80000001 fails.

        The guy who had the same error was working on a machine with a EFI bios that, my guess, is preventing some kind of cpuid calls. Maybe if you're used to tweak bioses, you could check CPUID Max Limit settings.

        Stay tuned, in the meantime I'll take a look to k10ctl if it is going to do the same cpuid call tpc does.

        Comment


        • Thanks for looking into it.

          I have no cpuid level set in the BIOS. This machine runs Linux solely. I do not have EFI. Normal Asus M2N68 board, AM2+ socket (yeah with an AM3 CPU).
          /proc/cpuinfo shows cpuid level of 6.

          I can test any code if needed.

          Comment


          • There are some strange calls (in strace):

            open("/dev/cpu/0/cpuid", O_RDONLY) = 3
            pread64(3, "\240\17\20\0\0\10\4\0\t \200\0\377\373\213\27", 16, 1) = 16
            close(3) = 0
            open("/dev/cpu/0/cpuid", O_RDONLY) = 3
            pread64(3, 0xbfae4100, 16, 18446744071562067969) = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)
            dup(2) = 4
            fcntl64(4, F_GETFL) = 0x8002 (flags O_RDWR|O_LARGEFILE)
            fstat64(4, {st_mode=S_IFCHR|0620, st_rdev=makedev(136, 17), ...}) = 0
            mmap2(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0xb775d000
            _llseek(4, 0, 0xbfae3efc, SEEK_CUR) = -1 ESPIPE (Illegal seek)
            write(4, "cpuid: pread: Invalid argument\n", 30cpuid: pread: Invalid argument
            ) = 30
            close(4) = 0
            munmap(0xb775d000, 4096) = 0
            write(1, "K10Processor::K10Processor - Fat"..., 92K10Processor::K10Processor - Fatal error during querying for Cpuid(0x80000001) instruction.
            ) = 92

            Comment


            • Mmmh... most references I find about denied access to 0x80000001 cpuid register are referring to virtualization.
              That's strange, it should not interfere at all, but if you can maybe try to enable Virtualization/Secure Virtual Machine in your bios if you haven't it yet active.

              Comment


              • I have SVM enabled in BIOS (use it for Virtualbox). But the commands I write are in the host system.

                Comment


                • 990fx chipset nbvoltage?

                  Hi

                  I use TurionPowerControl to slightly overclock my FX-8320 and get very good results. I got 3.8Ghz, at low voltage 1.29V which keeps my CPU temperature underload about 55oC, with open air room (no air-conditioner). I do scientific computations and this fits well with my need. My BIOS settings is not working reliably, and I find TPC much easier to work with than messing with my BIOS.

                  My problem is the North Bridge gets very hot. About 86-87oC underload. I'd like to undervolt it to reduce the temperature, but it seems TurionPowerControl doesn't support my 990FX (my mainboard is MSI 990FXA-GD65) yet. Are you going to add support for this chipset soon?

                  Thanks!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by blackshard View Post
                    Mmmh... most references I find about denied access to 0x80000001 cpuid register are referring to virtualization.
                    That's strange, it should not interfere at all, but if you can maybe try to enable Virtualization/Secure Virtual Machine in your bios if you haven't it yet active.
                    Since my previous comments I now run with a 64bit kernel. When I run my compiled 32bit binary of TPC it still fails with this error (kernel 3.13). But I can now run your precompiled 64bit binary and that one seems to works (I tried the information retrieving options like -l for now).

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by aceman View Post
                      Since my previous comments I now run with a 64bit kernel. When I run my compiled 32bit binary of TPC it still fails with this error (kernel 3.13). But I can now run your precompiled 64bit binary and that one seems to works (I tried the information retrieving options like -l for now).
                      Sorry, that was with version 0.422. Now I noticed you already have version 0.44. With that version both of your precompiled binaries (32bit/64bit Ubuntu) work for me fine. I also noticed a change in display of -l where the boost state is now shown as disabled (that is correct). It is still showing a Vcore of 1.3V, which is not right as I have about 1.47V set in the bios. But k10ctl shows the same problem.

                      Comment


                      • Hot northbridge can use a fan

                        Originally posted by ntt2010 View Post
                        Hi

                        I use TurionPowerControl to slightly overclock my FX-8320 and get very good results. I got 3.8Ghz, at low voltage 1.29V which keeps my CPU temperature underload about 55oC, with open air room (no air-conditioner). I do scientific computations and this fits well with my need. My BIOS settings is not working reliably, and I find TPC much easier to work with than messing with my BIOS.

                        My problem is the North Bridge gets very hot. About 86-87oC underload. I'd like to undervolt it to reduce the temperature, but it seems TurionPowerControl doesn't support my 990FX (my mainboard is MSI 990FXA-GD65) yet. Are you going to add support for this chipset soon?

                        Thanks!
                        I had similar problems when using a 990FX for Crossfire experiments back in early 2012, I just put a small fan on the heatsink and the problem was fixed. Most AMD chipsets I have seen when used on entry-level boards with just small finned heatsinks run far to hot to begin with, if you use chipset graphics, crossfire with no bridge connector, or anything like that you really need the fan. I've seen this all the way back to an Nvidia chipset supporting an AMD Athon 3200+ with the ancient Nvidia 6600 LE type graphics. If the chipset graphics were used while running up the base clock, the chipset would get so hot that severe graphics corruption would occur in about 10 minutes. The identical GPU on a separate card solved that problem and a video freeze by overloading the memory bus problem.

                        Comment


                        • Bumping this thread because TPC is awesome, I still use it.
                          Does this work with the latest AMD CPUs?
                          BTW, looks like the author(s) moved it to github: https://github.com/mh0rst/turionpowercontrol (judging by the username and the emails of the devs in the code.google.com repo).

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
                            Bumping this thread because TPC is awesome, I still use it.
                            Does this work with the latest AMD CPUs?
                            BTW, looks like the author(s) moved it to github: https://github.com/mh0rst/turionpowercontrol (judging by the username and the emails of the devs in the code.google.com repo).

                            I doubt that something jaguar based would work without some code tweaking as it is a vastly different architecture than this has been tuned for.
                            However it should work with anything bulldozer and piledriver based... Last few updates added interlagos support.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X