No announcement yet.

Athlon II Passive cooling?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like he went a little too low with 1.088.

Comment

Just received the motherboard and set everything up. Well, it works great! With the Phenom II heatsink and no thermal paste, the Athlon idles (bios) at 50. Can I expect a much better result with some paste? (Just not to open everything up again in vain). Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by kbios View Post
        Can I expect a much better result with some paste?
        I would say so, yes. The paste provides for better contact between the heatsink and processor in the event that there are any irregularities on either surface.

Out of curiosity, why didn't you use it in the first place? Or did I miss something?

Comment

Hi, thanks for your reply. Since I am using a Phenom II heatsink (which I previously used on another processor) I have removed the original paste to use a new one. I'll now try putting it on again and post the results.

Comment

You didn't use _any_ paste? Then I'd expect improvements of 10C or even more. Paste is very important.

Comment

Hi everyone! Posting this from the media center :-). With the termal paste (and no fan) and undervolted to 1.25V, the system idles at 35 and stays at 43 after a few minutes of stress with 4 threads, being more or less inaudible. So all is working as I wanted. I would like to thank everyone for the great advice.

Comment

Never use no paste. It is important to get really good contact.
                What kind did you use now? There are silicon based and silver ones, silver is a far better heat conductor. (But you have to be carful since it is also one of the best electric conductors.) Normally I use some of the fine milled silver grease. Boxed coolers often come with some silicone based attached which is also ok if you just want to set it up quickly. And it is less liquid (more like chewing gum) and it should not have much electric conductivity if you spill some of it.

Comment

It was the OEM paste supplied with a Cooler Master V8 I bought for my Phenom II X4 940 BE (for which I used another one). It seems quite "solid" and has a dark colour.

Comment

Working...
                  X