Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel's New Clarkdale IGP On Linux Not So Pleasant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    has the IGP matured a lot more for hw assisted VA yet?
    Almost done with my build but would rather not buy a gt220 if it can be avoided.

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by jalyst View Post
      has the IGP matured a lot more for hw assisted VA yet?
      Almost done with my build but would rather not buy a gt220 if it can be avoided.
      Currently, the Core iX processors with integrated GPU will only support MPEG-2 and H.264 at this time on Linux. In terms of maturity, it seems the code is derived from other drivers like the one used on former MacOS X platforms. If you want 3D performance or advanced OpenGL functionality, you'd better get an NVIDIA card.

      Comment


      • #23
        Can't see why I'd want 3d performance or advanced OpenGL functionality unless I'm gaming, which won't do.
        Or is there other reasons?

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
          Currently, the Core iX processors with integrated GPU will only support MPEG-2 and H.264 at this time on Linux.
          Reliable MPEG2 & H.264 VA are really the only 2 things one would want for hw assisted VA right?
          So that's great!

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by jalyst View Post
            Reliable MPEG2 & H.264 VA are really the only 2 things one would want for hw assisted VA right?
            So that's great!
            nVidias VDPAU also accelerates VC1, which afaik is used for most (or atleast many) blurays and thus is also a pretty important codec.

            Comment


            • #26
              bummer, hopefully my Core i3-530 alone can deal with it?

              Comment


              • #27
                And this anyone? Thank-you.
                Originally posted by jalyst View Post
                Can't see why I'd want 3d performance or advanced OpenGL functionality unless I'm gaming, which won't do.
                Or is there other reasons?

                Comment


                • #28
                  Stability issue still not resolved?

                  Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
                  Currently, the Core iX processors with integrated GPU will only support MPEG-2 and H.264 at this time on Linux. In terms of maturity, it seems the code is derived from other drivers like the one used on former MacOS X platforms. If you want 3D performance or advanced OpenGL functionality, you'd better get an NVIDIA card.
                  OK, but for the time being I'd be happy if the i3/H55 combination was stable. Until then there is no point worrying about 3D performance.

                  If anyone cares, I have opened a bug report on freedesktop.org.

                  Martin

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    i don't care about 3d performance (can't see why i'd need it other than for gaming) just VA, is that not working reliably for you?

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by jalyst View Post
                      i don't care about 3d performance (can't see why i'd need it other than for gaming) just VA, is that not working reliably for you?
                      No, it's not. Nor was it for Michael Larabel in January. That's why he wrote the article "Intel's New Clarkdale IGP On Linux Not So Pleasant" on phoronix.com, which in turn I found four months later when researching my instability issue. And since this thread is the discussion thread for the article, I asked the question whether the issue has been resolved in the meantime.

                      Martin

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X