Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is AMD dying as a server platform?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is AMD dying as a server platform?

    Looking to build a new AMD based server to replace my dying Opteron 285 based system I of course checked Newegg for available CPUs. The results for server CPUs were sad:

    Intel: 57
    AMD: 13

    So okay, I begin to think that maybe my most trusted online hardware buying site has jumped the shark and become another Intel mouthpiece so I go to amd.com and see a lot of nice cpus listed there, and find myself particularly interested in the 2389. A server based on those processors would be a perfect upgrade to my 285 based systems.

    So I try searching Google and can't find a dang'd one. Where oh where can I find a good, trusted, reliable site that sells the latest AMD processors?

  • #2
    http://www.serversdirect.com/product.asp?pf_id=CP2843

    you diddnt look very hard. I would phone serversdirect before you purchase as I cant say i have used them before.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
      http://www.serversdirect.com/product.asp?pf_id=CP2843

      you diddnt look very hard. I would phone serversdirect before you purchase as I cant say i have used them before.
      I've used them. Nothing bad to report, the items ordered were delivered exactly as expected and everything was in perfect working order when received. Bought a mainboard, couple of CPUs, RAM, PS, and a bunch of SAS disks.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        I've used them. Nothing bad to report, the items ordered were delivered exactly as expected and everything was in perfect working order when received. Bought a mainboard, couple of CPUs, RAM, PS, and a bunch of SAS disks.
        Thanks for the input. Never heard of them and I try to stick with familiar sellers when buying on the internet. Still, it sure isn't this hard to find Intel processors.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by EzInKy View Post
          Thanks for the input. Never heard of them and I try to stick with familiar sellers when buying on the internet. Still, it sure isn't this hard to find Intel processors.
          Intel is a bigger company, and has also been known to provide considerable "incentives" conditioned on not selling too many AMD products (something they were fined for by the EU).

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
            Intel is a bigger company, and has also been known to provide considerable "incentives" conditioned on not selling too many AMD products (something they were fined for by the EU).
            When I built my first generation opteron boxes finding the processors was no where this difficult. I went ahead and placed a small order from serversdirect to see how it goes. Been wanting to build a low power file server for a while now and this atom board seems to be perfect for it: http://www.serversdirect.com/product.asp?pf_id=MB4454

            Comment

            Working...
            X