Someone lay person who is examining comparitive results are the target for most of Phoronix articles. The key is "available at arms length" benchmarking, ie: easily available - out of the box.
If you want to create a recipe that shows KVM to the the best capability, can I suggest the following
1) Identify all the steps needed for the tuned setup
2) Create a fully described list of directions for building the tuned setup
3) Execute the list, keeping track of the length of time to do it.
4) Repeat the benchmark (Michael can probably supply a PTS test suite to do so)
5) Post the collection here.
I'd be interested to see the effort and results.