Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Core i7 On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel Core i7 On Linux

    Phoronix: Intel Core i7 On Linux

    Back in November Intel had formally launched the Core i7 series, but Linux benchmarks were not to be found. However, in the weeks that followed, results began to emerge through the Phoronix Test Suite and Phoronix Global. Over time there were many more Linux test results from the Phoronix Test Suite community, but now we have posted some of our own Intel Core i7 numbers from Ubuntu Linux.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=13681

  • #2
    Something's missing here... I've no idea what those numbers mean. How much faster is this than my 3.33GHz Core 2 for example?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Something's missing here... I've no idea what those numbers mean. How much faster is this than my 3.33GHz Core 2 for example?
      Or a Phenom or Opteron for about the same $$$.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        Something's missing here... I've no idea what those numbers mean. How much faster is this than my 3.33GHz Core 2 for example?
        Run phoronix-test-suite benchmark michael-23540-28957-28437 and you will know precisely what it means compared to your Core 2 3.33GHz system.
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          Except that we're not testing on the same setup. I would need to setup an ubuntu :P

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Run phoronix-test-suite benchmark michael-23540-28957-28437 and you will know precisely what it means compared to your Core 2 3.33GHz system.
            That's fine and well, but for the sake of the article -- there's nothing to compare the i7 to. Surely you see our point?

            Comment


            • #7
              Wouldn't have hurt to include q9650 or q9550 to have something to compare with.

              I sort of totally expected at least that much.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ayumu View Post
                Wouldn't have hurt to include q9650 or q9550 to have something to compare with.

                I sort of totally expected at least that much.
                If only Intel actually sent out processors to Phoronix...
                Michael Larabel
                http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Missing the idea

                  People, you are missing the idea. What Michael wants you to do is post YOUR results from YOUR setup.

                  That way, when someone post his from a Q9XXX, you will know. You can't expect Michael to have all those processors.

                  As soon as I get Phoronix Test Suite installed, I will post.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Well E8400 would be nice to add it in the charts, as for c2d family.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks so much for reviewing this processor, I know it is not a cheap one to purchase and go benchmark.

                      It really doesn't take much time or intelligence to go to Phoronix global and search for a system with similar specifications to compare processors. Unless the processor benchmarks are really close, it isn't going to matter a whole lot of some of the hardware like ram or motherboard is different.

                      By the way, did you take any temperature readings or remember what they were like at the different clock increments? I would be interested to know

                      If I ever get 5 hours (), I will benchmark my system against this since I might be getting an i7 in the future.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The shame in that story is that no manufacturer / retailer or any big company has been able to send a sample review to Phoronix.

                        It's a real shame, knowing that there is not so much Linux site hardware review and that I guess that Phoronix has many visitors...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
                          The shame in that story is that no manufacturer / retailer or any big company has been able to send a sample review to Phoronix.

                          It's a real shame, knowing that there is not so much Linux site hardware review and that I guess that Phoronix has many visitors...
                          Absolutely agree. That is one of the reasons why I appreciate this article so much.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Well some tests did not work with PTS 1.8.0 final - also Nexuiz is now a different test.

                            http://global.phoronix-test-suite.co...-628-6932-9485

                            Very interesting is the Parallel BZIP2 Compression test which is much faster on my test system. The kernel is basically the same, just the basesystem is Debian 5.0.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              FAIL

                              This was such a pointless benchmark.

                              Its quite obvious what the results were going to be when you put 3 i7s against each other.

                              Without Phenoms and C2D/Quads this article is pointless

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X