Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Core i7 On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Thanks so much for reviewing this processor, I know it is not a cheap one to purchase and go benchmark.

    It really doesn't take much time or intelligence to go to Phoronix global and search for a system with similar specifications to compare processors. Unless the processor benchmarks are really close, it isn't going to matter a whole lot of some of the hardware like ram or motherboard is different.

    By the way, did you take any temperature readings or remember what they were like at the different clock increments? I would be interested to know

    If I ever get 5 hours (), I will benchmark my system against this since I might be getting an i7 in the future.

    Comment


    • #12
      The shame in that story is that no manufacturer / retailer or any big company has been able to send a sample review to Phoronix.

      It's a real shame, knowing that there is not so much Linux site hardware review and that I guess that Phoronix has many visitors...

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
        The shame in that story is that no manufacturer / retailer or any big company has been able to send a sample review to Phoronix.

        It's a real shame, knowing that there is not so much Linux site hardware review and that I guess that Phoronix has many visitors...
        Absolutely agree. That is one of the reasons why I appreciate this article so much.

        Comment


        • #14
          Well some tests did not work with PTS 1.8.0 final - also Nexuiz is now a different test.

          http://global.phoronix-test-suite.co...-628-6932-9485

          Very interesting is the Parallel BZIP2 Compression test which is much faster on my test system. The kernel is basically the same, just the basesystem is Debian 5.0.

          Comment


          • #15
            FAIL

            This was such a pointless benchmark.

            Its quite obvious what the results were going to be when you put 3 i7s against each other.

            Without Phenoms and C2D/Quads this article is pointless

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
              FAIL

              This was such a pointless benchmark.

              Its quite obvious what the results were going to be when you put 3 i7s against each other.

              Without Phenoms and C2D/Quads this article is pointless
              Here we go again, cruiseoveride. I still have not seen a positive post from you.

              This article is supposed to be informative and engaging of readers to go test their system against the i7, something that takes advantage of the newly release PTS 1.8, which was big news.

              Seriously, amaze me and appreciate something for once.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
                The shame in that story is that no manufacturer / retailer or any big company has been able to send a sample review to Phoronix.

                It's a real shame, knowing that there is not so much Linux site hardware review and that I guess that Phoronix has many visitors...
                Why do you think there are so many AMD hardware articles?

                Comment


                • #18
                  Comparison

                  Although I understand everyone can benchmark his own machine, we can't all buy a machine to benchmark against the core i7. I could of course benchmark my C2D E8400 (and I will when I have more than just a few hours of free time), but I can't benchmark it against any of AMD's recent offerings because I simply don't have anything in AMD's recent offerings. Also phoronix could benchmark the E8400 with DDR3 memory, while I can't (iirc both an E8400 has shown up in tests as well as a socket 775 motherboard with DDR3 memory).

                  Anyway, it would be nice to see more of a comparison IN the article, but if that's not gonna happen then we'll have to do with what's offered right now.
                  Regards,

                  Michael

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    we will be back shortly with more benchmarks, including virtualization benchmarks, but we just wanted to get this information and numbers out there now for people interested in seeing how their system stacks up
                    That should have been in bold. Seriously, do you guys even read the article, or just blast through the graphs?

                    Anyway, I haven't bought a computer in a few years, and I just recently discovered Nvidia's coverup with the 8 series gpus, and seeing how Intel and Nvidia are nowhere near as generous as AMD when it comes to Phoronix, I think I know what my next purchase will be.
                    Also, Intel can take their chips and shove it. I refuse to buy anything Intel until they either come out with a reasonable gpu or drop out of the market entirely.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by GreatWalrus View Post
                      Here we go again, cruiseoveride. I still have not seen a positive post from you.

                      This article is supposed to be informative and engaging of readers to go test their system against the i7, something that takes advantage of the newly release PTS 1.8, which was big news.

                      Seriously, amaze me and appreciate something for once.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulVDM0a49Lw

                      I try. And I try. But i dont get no.. all this useless information... its meant to drive my imagination?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X