Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte EP45 DS4 or ASUS P5Q Deluxe

Hello,

I am in the process of changing my PC, my AMD64 3500+ has served me long enough and it's time to give it to my wife

That PC will be a dual boot between XP and probably the upcoming FC10.
    It will get some Raptor, 4 GB of RAM, a Q9550 and a GTX260 (+ or not depending on availability).

As the title suggests after some browsing, I have decided I would go for either Gigabyte EP45 DS4 or ASUS P5Q Deluxe.
    What can I expect of Linux compatability on both these motherboards ? Network, sound, SATA and so on?

Thanks

Well for ICH10 you should get a distro with kernel 2.6.26 or newer. Should be no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      Well for ICH10 you should get a distro with kernel 2.6.26 or newer. Should be no problem.
      The problem is not ICH10(R) support but rather the more or less exotic Ethernet and audio support. For instance, IIUC RTL8111C is not present in 2.6.26.

Comment

Would be very curious, because for example the P5Q runs Linux by default with an even very old kernel 2.6.20 (only legacy mode for SATA) called Express Gate (SplashTop)... You can be sure network does work. Also many new distros will use 2.6.27. Sound could be a little problem, but you can always update kernel or just update alsa - in most cases an alsa kernel option should be enough in case of problems.

Comment

Would be very curious, because for example the P5Q runs Linux by default with an even very old kernel 2.6.20 (only legacy mode for SATA) called Express Gate (SplashTop)... You can be sure network does work.
          You know that if a given distro works it doesn't prove anything especially when it's made by the constructor

P5Q and P5Q-Pro for instance have issues with most (all?) current distributions:
          ASUS forum
          Ubuntu forum

Sure one can make it work, but I would like first hand experience on these boards

Comment

Overall gigabyte seems better equipped and less troubled.
            But I heard bad things about Gigabyte boards only supporting ACPI 1.0b. Power management may be worse than with Asus.

Comment

As long as you don't OC the board EIST does work with Gigabyte. That means the cpu will slow down in idle mode when for example powersaved is installed.

Comment

Well as a user of Gigabyte EX38 I may add that EIST works even when using the automatic overclock setting, that dynamically raises FSB under load.
                And frequency still changes if you tweak CPU voltage.
                But if you tweak FSB manually, it doesn't.

Nut sure what ACPI regulates. There has to be something...

Comment

When you raise Vcore with Gigabyte EIST is useless because the Vcore has to be lowered too to save energy. Did not try that automatic oc - if I oc i want full control over it...

Comment

Don't know why but my answer to Kano has been moderated.

Basically I was giving links to forums that show people have issues with recent kernels and the ethernet controller found in P5Q and P5Q-pro. That's just an example of why I would like *first-hand* experience on these boards

As far as ExpressGate is concerned it obviously works, but that doesn't prove anything for general distros

Comment

It is absolutely no problem to exchange a kernel. I can provide you for debian/ubuntu systems always the latest precompiled ones. Kanotix gets every new kernel as update. I do not support FC howerver

Comment

When you raise Vcore with Gigabyte EIST is useless because the Vcore has to be lowered too to save energy. Did not try that automatic oc - if I oc i want full control over it...

Thats the trick, I LOWERED Vcore BELOW the idle mode setting.
                        Default idle 2GHz@1.12V and load 2.66GHz@1.18V
                        Resulted in 2GHz@0.998 and 2.66GHz@0.988, because my E8200 can do it

Comment

Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
                          Don't know why but my answer to Kano has been moderated.
                          It was moderated to prevent spambots from appearing. As long as you got <5 posts, all your posts that include links are sent to the moderation queue. Since spambots usually just create a small number of posts, this stops most spam messages from appearing in the forums and leave the moderators to deal with the accounts.

So far I have had a great experience with my Gigabyte P35-DS3. I think most chips are basically identical on the EP45-DS4. That is the same network chip and such. I have not tried onboard audio, but that should work, too. The only "real" change is the northbridge which is not too much of a change in regards to Linux compatibility. My board worked without any problems with kernel 2.6.24 with AHCI mode active. It is the same ICH10 southbride, that is also used with P45 boards.

Comment

It is absolutely no problem to exchange a kernel. I can provide you for debian/ubuntu systems always the latest precompiled ones. Kanotix gets every new kernel as update. I do not support FC howerver
                            Oh I can recompile a kernel and have even ported Linux to new CPU's

It's just that it's not obvious to be sure a given driver works correctly and this can be blocking: I don't care if sound doesn't work now, but if ethernet is broken and I have to wait for a newer module to be released then I will be prisoner of MS gaming OS For instance, it *seems* RTL8111C (found on GB board) was added to the r8169 driver, but if you look at realtek own driver it *seems* much more complete. As you can see, my problem is to get rid of guesssing

Comment

Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
                              It's just that it's not obvious to be sure a given driver works correctly and this can be blocking: I don't care if sound doesn't work now, but if ethernet is broken and I have to wait for a newer module to be released then I will be prisoner of MS gaming OS For instance, it *seems* RTL8111C (found on GB board) was added to the r8169 driver, but if you look at realtek own driver it *seems* much more complete. As you can see, my problem is to get rid of guesssing
                              I got this one on my board (regarding to lspci -v):

Code:
                              04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)
                                      Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Device e000
                                      Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
                                      I/O ports at c000 [size=256]
                                      Memory at e7000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
                                      [virtual] Expansion ROM at e8400000 [disabled] [size=128K]
                                      Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
                                      Capabilities: [48] Vital Product Data <?>
                                      Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/1 Enable-
                                      Capabilities: [60] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
                                      Capabilities: [84] Vendor Specific Information <?>
                                      Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting <?>
                                      Capabilities: [12c] Virtual Channel <?>
                                      Capabilities: [148] Device Serial Number 68-81-ec-10-00-00-00-00
                                      Capabilities: [154] Power Budgeting <?>
                                      Kernel driver in use: r8169
                                      Kernel modules: r8169
                              It works perfectly with the in kernel driver as of currently kernel 2.6.25.15. Before I was also using with with 2.6.24, no problem at all. Gigabyte themselves do not say which one it is, the website just speaks of a "Gigabit Lan Controller". Though I assume they use the same chip on all boards.

But I have to correct what I wrote about the southbridge. I just have the ICH9 on my board, the EP45-DS4 got the ICH10R. Looks like support is a little different than ICH9, but recent kernels should have it. Cf the phoronix article about a board with x4500hd:

Originally posted by http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_x4500hd&num=8
                              Aside from the graphics, you will also need to use a very recent distribution using the Linux 2.6.25 or 2.6.26 kernel for supporting Serial ATA on the ICH10 motherboards.
                              So with a recent distribution you should be fine. Since every distribution that is released this autumn will be using 2.6.26 or higher (several probably even 2.6.27).
                              Last edited by ivanovic; 10-07-2008, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X