Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAEON EMB-BT1: A Linux-Friendly, Mini-ITX, Atom "Bay Trail" Board

Phoronix: AAEON EMB-BT1: A Linux-Friendly, Mini-ITX, Atom "Bay Trail" Board

For those after a low-cost mini-ITX board for use within an HTPC, SOHO file server, or other low-power situations, AAEON has out an interesting board called the EMB-BT1, or more formally the AAEON EMB-BT1-A10-3825. This mini-ITX motherboard has onboard an Intel Atom E3825 "Bay Trail" SoC for delivering decent performance out of the six Watt SoC and having open-source-friendly graphics under Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would like to see some information regarding availability, specifically international (i.e. non-US) availability. I've read with interest the other similar articles (such as the Kabini), only to see talk of newegg availability and rebates, which are US-centric availability notions. Given that I'm in Europe, probably like a sizeable proportion of your readership, I'd like to know whether I can get my hands on this board without having to fire up Google.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      Would like to see some information regarding availability, specifically international (i.e. non-US) availability. I've read with interest the other similar articles (such as the Kabini), only to see talk of newegg availability and rebates, which are US-centric availability notions. Given that I'm in Europe, probably like a sizeable proportion of your readership, I'd like to know whether I can get my hands on this board without having to fire up Google.
      Kaprikawn, see AAEON's global offices: http://www.aaeon.com/en/contact/?pin...767e192ce8e327

Pick the office closest to you and give them a ring and they will be able to provide you with costs and where to buy the boards. I can tell you AAEON has some inventory levels right now, so lead time will be 1~2 weeks.

Comment

Kaprikawn, see AAEON's global offices: http://www.aaeon.com/en/contact/?pin...767e192ce8e327

Pick the office closest to you and give them a ring and they will be able to provide you with costs and where to buy the boards. I can tell you AAEON has some inventory levels right now, so lead time will be 1~2 weeks.

Comment

Would like to see some information regarding availability, specifically international (i.e. non-US) availability...
          ditto

Also, Michael, since you are running ubuntu 14.04 could you post output of command
          Code:
          cryptsetup benchmar
          ?

I wonder what is encryption performance (handy with home NAS scenario) of this CPU since it's the first ATOM with AES-NI

Thanks.

Comment

This is the first Bay Trail vs Kabini benchmark I've seen. Is the relative performance between this new Atom and the new Kabini cores similar to other benchmarks eleswhere? I thought Bay Trail was supposed to do better than this.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
              This is the first Bay Trail vs Kabini benchmark I've seen. Is the relative performance between this new Atom and the new Kabini cores similar to other benchmarks eleswhere? I thought Bay Trail was supposed to do better than this.
              That mirrors quite well what I've seen elsewhere on the cpu side of things at least. Silvermont core seems to be about 20% or so slower per clock for general integer performance, and worse on the FPU/SIMD side (the SIMD cluster still is mostly in-order even).
              Kabini has definitely quite a bit faster GPU though (even the low-clocked variants), but the open-source radeonsi driver apparently isn't that well optimized yet (which you can clearly see from other benchmarks with GCN chips).

Comment

If someone is interested to compare (mainly aimed for server needs), here is most powerfull PC Kabini to date tested on Linux - socketed Athlon 5350:

The AMD Athlon 5350 will be the highest performing AM1 processor at launch. It provides solid low power CPU performance for this segment and GCN based GPU

and also just lower CPU clocked model Athlon 5150 is also tested:

The AMD Athlon 5150 is a lower cost part that provides SoC capabilities at low power consumption levels. This allows platforms to be small, inexpensive and quiet with minimal complexity.

i think tomorow Sempron 3850 benchmarks will appear, etc.

But of course i would mostly like to have GL performance tested on Linux that would be
                Last edited by dungeon; 08 April 2014, 03:23 PM.

Comment

E1-2100 comparison

It sure would be nice to see the catalyst driver in the Kabini vs. Atom graphics comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    If someone is interested to compare (mainly aimed for server needs), here is most powerfull PC Kabini to date tested on Linux - socketed Athlon 5350:

The AMD Athlon 5350 will be the highest performing AM1 processor at launch. It provides solid low power CPU performance for this segment and GCN based GPU

and also just lower CPU clocked model Athlon 5150 is also tested:

The AMD Athlon 5150 is a lower cost part that provides SoC capabilities at low power consumption levels. This allows platforms to be small, inexpensive and quiet with minimal complexity.

i think tomorow Sempron 3850 benchmarks will appear, etc.

But of course i would mostly like to have GL performance tested on Linux that would be
                    the true shock is seeing kaveri outperform the i3 4130 in several tests- i would love to have a deeper look at is since i'm in the process of getting one of these exact 2 models.

Comment

Working...
                    X