Heatpipes: The Investigation Begins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no offence but..

I'm sure you know plenty (if you are who you say you are, but I'll assume for the moment you are) on the subject of cooling and heatpipes, but I don't buy that on top of that you speak 4 or 5 asian languages and know all those CEO's and they like you so much that they tell you tradesecrets.
    That part seems a bit incredible to a seasoned internet user.

Oh and I DID search the name you use and that person certainly knows things aren't so straight-cut and simple and that MANY factors play when designing a coolingsystem, so if you are that george meyer you would agree that the choice of liquid depends on various circumstances and conditions where the heatsink was used for.
    And I personally think that person would also be intelligent enough to admit that he can't know the liquid used by all manufacturers.
    Last edited by Wwhat; 10-31-2007, 11:11 AM.

Comment

I do admit that I never said I spoke 4 or 5 Asian languages, only that i lived in asia. I struggle even to speak a little Mandarin. I don't understand why you have such an issue with water as a working fluid. There are other fluids used for special applications. For example, if using aluminum you can not use water, it is incompatible. You can use ammonia. Same with stainless steel. If you want operation at very low temperatures then you may want to use an alcohol. If you want high voltage standoff then use one of the FC products. If you want high temperature operation then use sodium or potassium. If you simply want to cool a processor or graphics chips then use water.

Water is in the heat pipe under a vacuum, so it will vaporize at temperatures down to the freezing point. It has very good surface tension and latent heat as well as good vapor pressure at the temperatures electronics operate.

An estimated 300 million heat pipes are used every year and 99.9% of these are either sintered, groove or wire wick structures and use water. They come from Furakawa, Fujikura, YCTC, AVC, CCI, CoolerMaster, Novark or a number of other small companies making heat pipes.

You do not get this information only from knowing the CEO's, you get it through many channels, by having tested and taken their product apart or knowing where they got their heat pipe technology or knowing people who have been through the factories. Engineers and buyers from companies that buy heat pipes.

So, what other fluids would you suggest, maybe I can learn something? You have to consider safety so alcohols and acetone are out for consumer goods. The latent heat and surface tensions of the FC products is too low. Am I missing something?

Cheers,

George

Comment

Ah!

Interesting, but no alcohol/aceton for safety? seems a bit weird, it's minuscule amounts in a closed metal tube, acetone is used in abundance by girls to clean nailpolish, and alcohol is used in abundance by common senators and people (also available in any supermarket in pure-ish form for cleaning)
        And there are many parts used in electronics that have much more radical chemicals of course, very poisonous and flammable materials.
        Anyway thanks for expanding on the water question, now that you explained the logic and how you got the information it all makes sense again.

You can't blame an internet user for getting a little cynical I'm sure you know that from your own experience.

Comment

Yes, big companies can be a little weird about safety. They are very concerned about some things and oblivious about others. Like the 20 gallons of gas riding behind you in your car. But, that is the way it is! I wasn't making these things up or trying to impress anyone. Just trying to share what few things I do know about.

Comment

This company http://www.norenproducts.com/Heat_Pipes/what_is.html
            was passing out samples of their heat pipes earlier this week at a vendor show.
            I been moving the sample back and forth between a hot cup of water and a cold cup of water.
            It amazes me how fast the temperature is transferred to the opposite end of the pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by gmeyer View Post
              Yes, big companies can be a little weird about safety. They are very concerned about some things and oblivious about others. Like the 20 gallons of gas riding behind you in your car. But, that is the way it is! I wasn't making these things up or trying to impress anyone. Just trying to share what few things I do know about.
              What Luck i finally found someone who knows about heat pipes....I need some advice if you can spare some
              I am trying to build my own CPU heat sink with the base material being Fine 99.9 Silver, I have 6mm Sterling silver 925 tubing to use for my heat pipes..(fins will also be Sterling silver 925) Now the questions... how do I get the wick material into such a small Dia. pipe and still have it hollow?
              I bought copper screen that i was going to try to put into the pipes for the wick but after all the reading here I am assuming there is a more efficient wick material than copper screen, I just need to know what that material is and where to buy it and how to install it into the tubing.

Also the Sterling tubing I have (6 PCs)is cut into 12 inch lengths...My idea was to bend the 12" tubing in half, the bend would be silver soldered to the Fine Silver base and each side of the base would be a heat pipe, it would look like two heat pipes but it would only really be one bent in half..complete with Wick and working liquid...

Your help would be so good as I am desperate for info to help me with this crazy CPU heat sink idea build.

I have just about everything to build it just need some intelligent helpful information.

Thanks

Comment

:P:P

Comment

Working...
                X