Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Kabini APU Support Comes To Coreboot

Phoronix: AMD Kabini APU Support Comes To Coreboot

As of today there's initial support in Coreboot for handling AMD Kabini APUs...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQyODc

Is there any modern, usable mobo that supports coreboot that a consumer can actually buy and use with all latest processors. If not those stuff only matter to OEMs.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      Is there any modern, usable mobo that supports coreboot that a consumer can actually buy and use with all latest processors. If not those stuff only matter to OEMs.
      Agreed. Coreboot would be especially useful for things like laptops. I would love to be able to use coreboot on my laptop if I knew how to set it up and not risk bricking it.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Agreed. Coreboot would be especially useful for things like laptops. I would love to be able to use coreboot on my laptop if I knew how to set it up and not risk bricking it.
        Laptops have a chip for handling flashing, battery charging, keyboard, trackpad and other related features. This chip is often undocumented witch makes it difficult if not impossible to get CoreBoot working on a Laptop. That being said ChromeBooks are using CoreBoot afaik.

Comment

Chromebook Pixel has coreboot for sure.

Comment

That is very cool, and as AMD appears to be working on Chromebooks, we may see Coreboot running on AMD notebooks soon.

Personally I think the Acer V5-122P would make a great Chromebook, or at least a notebook worth running Coreboot on.

Comment

Single-board computer

I wish there were a AMD Kabini-based single-board computer.
              Something to compete with Raspberry Pi.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                What do you mean by "single board". There are numbers of mini-itx boards with Bobcats soldered in, and it is just matter of time to be replaced with Kabinis.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                  What do you mean by "single board". There are numbers of mini-itx boards with Bobcats soldered in, and it is just matter of time to be replaced with Kabinis.
                  But these you need a case, power supply, RAM, storage, and then it gets all very expensive.

I want something in the Raspberry Pi size and price range.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Thows are in completely different market segments. It's like saying Hummers should start comparing with segways.

Comment

Working...
                    X