No announcement yet.

How to update ECS Z77H2-A2X firmware without windows?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to update ECS Z77H2-A2X firmware without windows?

Michael Larabel's article gave this motherboard high marks. I always research hardware on Linux before buying.

And it performed quite well using arch Linux for about a week, then began allowing me to boot ONLY AFTER I log into BIOS. No change in BIOS is needed, just enter BIOS/exit BIOS, and boot continues successfully.

ECS support of course only supports windows, but a tech did helpfully suggest I install windows to see if the boot problem occurred.

ECS only supplies windows-based firmware upgrade utilities. There is not even a dos-based exe. My request as to whether they might supply a raw BIOS image was ignored.

Does anyone know of any way to perform firmware upgrade on an ECS Z77H2-A2X without having to buy some really overpriced utility (i.e., Windows 7 or 8)?

[solved] How to update ECS Z77H2-A2X firmware without windows?

Based on a tip, I used the CMOS jumper to clear the CMOS, reset default settings, reapplied BIOS settings for my machine particulars, and voila! the machine now boots normally. No BIOS update was needed.

I think you enabled vt-d and you use intel onboard gfx. That does not work. Btw. i looked at the ecs webpage and everybody who can read will see that it is possible to update the firmware with a dos tool. Even i wrote a tool to put freedos on an usb key and i am sure you find others as well. From the update procedure i would not recommend ecs, when you know that asrock has builtin internet access and can download the latest update automatically when it gets internet via a dhcp request then i prefer that solution.

The zip archive for the bios update contains this tool as well even when it is in the Win8 section. Better download it before you cry loud!