ASUS P8Z77-V LE, USB 3.0 and Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS P8Z77-V LE, USB 3.0 and Linux

So, I was reading the manual on this ASUS P8Z77-V LE (http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Int...155/P8Z77V_LE/) motherboard, thinking about purchasing it for my new system build, and came across page 2-39, where it says (paraphrasing) that USB 3.0 is only usable in Windows, due to limitations set forth by Intel with the chipset ports and ASMedia with the USB 3.0 controller ports.

Now, I'm wondering is this true? Are these ports essentially dead when used with Linux?

According to this ASMedia controller is supported under Linux kernel 3.0 or later.

However, your specific board uses ASM1083 PCIe-PCI bridge, and indeed has some problems.

Originally posted by Linus Torvalds, above link
    warning: this
    pcie-pci bridge is dodgy
    Also, I suggest you use MSI, because ASUS recently plays game like Gigabyte "We support only Wincraps". Leave it on shelves.

Comment

Thanks for that info, crazycheese. It seems like building a solid machine in general is getting harder and building a solid linux machine much harder. I had never even heard of some of these companies that are involved in some of the motherboard components, like ASMedia and Etron, before yesterday.

Comment

The Z77 chipset itself has already 2 usb 3.0 ports integrated, when a board has more than 2 with intel series 7 chipset then it needs additional chips. Intel series 6 chipsets had no built-in usb 3.0. I would not consider it hard to get a board for Linux, Asus has just a bit broken UEFI, but you could work around it - you can not add 2 entries for the same efi binary with the same spelling but different options. At least they added a recovery flash feature from usb key as it is really annoying when you have to get a new firmware chip first when it does not POST anymore. I guess too many boards from series 6 had that fault so they changed the board design to allow flash even without working cpu.

If you wait 4 more months s1155 will be outdated and s1150 the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
          Also, I suggest you use MSI, because ASUS recently plays game like Gigabyte "We support only Wincraps". Leave it on shelves.
          MSI also says "We support only Wincraps" when sending an issue into their tech support with listing linux or any other OS issue. They are no better.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            MSI also says "We support only Wincraps" when sending an issue into their tech support with listing linux or any other OS issue. They are no better.
            Any proof of this? Because they officially list Linux as part of their motherboard software : http://event.msi.com/mb/tech/winki-3.php
            And their site is PHP which is a rarity between motherboard vendors.

Originally posted by septima View Post
            Thanks for that info, crazycheese. It seems like building a solid machine in general is getting harder and building a solid linux machine much harder. I had never even heard of some of these companies that are involved in some of the motherboard components, like ASMedia and Etron, before yesterday.
            Nah, just a crappy chip vendor with NDAs over the place. Don't buy crap if its crap
            Last edited by crazycheese; 06 January 2013, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
              Any proof of this? Because they officially list Linux as part of their motherboard software : http://event.msi.com/mb/tech/winki-3.php
              And their site is PHP which is a rarity between motherboard vendors.
              I've have reported several bug reports to them in the past that they have refused to help if it was not a windows issue. You get the same line from them as any other vendor pretty much. The only vendors that I have found that actually do take linux bug reports are Tyan, supermicro, and intel (abit used to as well when they were around). I wouldn't take your link as a sign they support linux. it's just a bit of software that they offer that is really no different then what Asus has done in the past with their EEE PC's and their Splashtop. I'm not sure how you draw the parallel with using PHP on their site as a sign of supporting linux either.
              Last edited by deanjo; 06 January 2013, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                I've have reported several bug reports to them in the past that they have refused to help if it was not a windows issue. You get the same line from them as any other vendor pretty much. The only vendors that I have found that actually do take linux bug reports are Tyan, supermicro, and intel (abit used to as well when they were around). I wouldn't take your link as a sign they support linux. it's just a bit of software that they offer that is really no different then what Asus has done in the past with their EEE PC's and their Splashtop. I'm not sure how you draw the parallel with using PHP on their site as a sign of supporting linux either.
                Ok, thanks... Tyan & SM are server only. Intel might be an exception. Abit, yes, still have NF7-S, shame stupid management ruined them. Regarding Splashtop, ASUS has carefully conceived everywhere, incl. handbook, that its Linux-based (Splashtop site did the same, but they eased up abit later).

Comment

Ya it is a shame that the Linux Foundation doesn't put some real effort in trying to improve the linux support situation but it seems like they are happy with bandaid efforts like shims.

Comment

Working...
                  X