Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ACPI Power Management Gets Improved In Linux 3.8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ACPI Power Management Gets Improved In Linux 3.8

    Phoronix: ACPI Power Management Gets Improved In Linux 3.8

    The ACPI and power management updates targeting the Linux 3.8 kernel were already submitted to Linus Torvalds this morning. There's a whole lot of new work to look forward to when it comes to power management in this next kernel...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI0ODg

  • #2
    What's the difference between "devfreq" and "cpufreq"? I get the impression that devfreq is more capable and comprehensive, but I'm not sure if it's meant to supplement cpufreq or replace it. I've been a longtime cpufreq user, but am curious, since it appears that devfreq may be better. However I haven't found much in the way of userspace packages (Gentoo ebuilds, for instance) for devfreq.

    Comment


    • #3
      ..." and yours truly."

      Too much copy pasta, I thought for a moment Michael had started writing kernel patches too, lol.

      Comment


      • #4
        Not enough of a hardware guy to know this offhand... will any of the items listed actually improve power consumption on linux systems running 3.8 kernel compared to 3.7? or is this mostly "fill in whats missing from the standard" stuff and "Has to be implemented by individual drivers to be useful" stuff?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
          ..." and yours truly."

          Too much copy pasta, I thought for a moment Michael had started writing kernel patches too, lol.
          If Michael had started writing kernel patches, it would be "single handedly", of course

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by phred14 View Post
            What's the difference between "devfreq" and "cpufreq"? I get the impression that devfreq is more capable and comprehensive, but I'm not sure if it's meant to supplement cpufreq or replace it. I've been a longtime cpufreq user, but am curious, since it appears that devfreq may be better. However I haven't found much in the way of userspace packages (Gentoo ebuilds, for instance) for devfreq.

            DevFreq controls DVFS and lets you hook chipsets other than a cpu into dynamic power management based on some sort of state notification.

            From what little I can tell it can turn parts of a SoC on, off, and places between. based on demands. (appearrently the memory controllers are the main target)

            http://lxr.linux.no/linux/drivers/devfreq/exynos4_bus.c

            However cpufreq is still used for the cpu because it a lot more refined towards that purpose.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Drago View Post
              If Michael had started writing kernel patches, it would be "single handedly", of course
              I'm really scared about what Michael does with his other hand...

              Comment


              • #8
                S3

                As far as 3.2 any kernel release crashed when waking up from suspend to ram
                ( using an Intel Core i7-920 & ArchLinux x86_64 )
                Hope this issue is solved

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                  I'm really scared about what Michael does with his other hand...
                  Holding a cold beer of course.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X