No announcement yet.

Gummiboot: A Simple UEFI Boot Manager

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read BURG backwards then you know that it was a GRUB(2) mod. Some of its options are included in GRUB 2.

But gummiboot only shows a textlist with all title entries which are defined in the loader/entries dir (+autodetected win/default). That's not fancy, well maybe a picture could be shown in the background as well, would be a nice addon.

Compared to UEFI quickbootselection you can use edit mode, this should be possible to disable/pw protect.

Comment

Pretty bootloader

I don't want a pretty bootloader.

I just want a quick, fast, simple, easy, smart bootloader that doesn't fuck up.

Plus if it avoids screen resolution switches so the screen doesn't change resolution forth and back.

Comment

I dont get what you mean by smart, but gummiboot is very tiny (just 60k compared to grub) as it is more or less just a simple menu for efi binaries (and is of course itself an efi binary). when you know efi shell then you understand the efi syntax directly. the linux/initrd variant was just added to make it simpler to use. When you look at current git commits then you see that the devs work now on hooks to write the loader/entries config files based on the installed kernels.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/gummiboot/

I wrote my samples manually, which was not too hard. Yesterday i talked to Harald Hoyer in the #fedora-devel irc channel and found out that on fedora udev creates /dev/disk/by-partuuid/... entries so that root=PARTUUID=... will work with an initrd as well. I compared the code to debian's udev and found that the lines are basically there as well which should create those symlinks, but it does not happen with wheezy. in case you use gpt you can get the partuuid as well using:
        Code:
        blkid -p -s PART_ENTRY_UUID -o value /dev/root
        if you have got a suitable kernel this will work without initrd. If you want to use UUID+initrd then you get those by
        Code:
        blkid -p -s UUID -o value /dev/root
        With the scripts around gummiboot.efi you will usually not have to write that on your own, just if you want to test it without.

If you want to learn a bit more about uefi i would suggest to try efi shell and boot linux or whatever you want with it manually. it is like dos, just instead of a:, b:,c: it is fs0:, fs1:,fs2:. rename the vmlinuz to whatever.efi if you want to use the shell to start it.

Many uefi implementions can start shellx64.efi even from a fat formatted usb key (or just rename it to EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI. You get it like this:
        Code:
        wget -O shellx64.efi 'http://tianocore.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=tianocore/edk2;a=blob_plain;f=EdkShellBinPkg/FullShell/X64/Shell_Full.efi;hb=HEAD'

Comment

Working...
        X