Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASRock Z68 Pro3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by buzz View Post
    as of

    commit 70090424e59652c4b2e777b533cc23134b176b83
    Author: Hayes Wang <hayeswang@realtek.com>
    Date: Wed Jul 6 15:58:06 2011 +0800

    r8169: support RTL8111E-VL.

    (3.0.0+) the ethernet is working correctly without using the vendor driver.
    Thank you, thank you and thank you for pointing that out. I'd been pulling my hair out over the r8168 driver not building on >=3.0.0 (the makefile pops-out a 2.4 kernel module!) and I hadn't realised that the r8169 driver had now been updated to play nicely with my/our NIC.

    Wonderful stuff. No more compiling my own NIC drivers every time I install a new kernel.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by tomm3h View Post
      Thank you, thank you and thank you for pointing that out. I'd been pulling my hair out over the r8168 driver not building on >=3.0.0 (the makefile pops-out a 2.4 kernel module!) and I hadn't realised that the r8169 driver had now been updated to play nicely with my/our NIC.

      Wonderful stuff. No more compiling my own NIC drivers every time I install a new kernel.
      I actually posted a link to a copy of the vendor driver earlier in the thread, and I had fixed up the installer to build against 2.6/3.0 properly. Guess you missed that

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by buzz View Post
        I actually posted a link to a copy of the vendor driver earlier in the thread, and I had fixed up the installer to build against 2.6/3.0 properly. Guess you missed that
        Apparently I did. No harm; running the included driver is a much more preferable solution.

        Comment


        • #19
          ASRock Z68 Setup Issues - Dual Boot XP/Kubuntu

          Here's my experience:

          Its been awhile since I built a PC, but as I wanted a state-of-the-art system that runs Windows XP. I purchased an ASRock Z68 Pro3-M motherboard along with an Intel Core i7 2600K processor, 8Gb of memory and a couple of 2.5 drives (64Gb 6Gb/s SSD + 750Gb 3 Gb/s). I also obtained a Sentey mATX case that turned out to be a disaster as the power supply radiated so much electrical noise that it interfered with the doorbell and other devices. It was also useless as a desktop as there was insufficient heat extraction and the front LCD panel did not work completely. The Sentey case was returned.

          I could not find a mATX desktop case locally, so I swapped the guts around of a few old computers and ended up with a reworked HP DC5000 case that has one external 5.25 bay, one external 3.5 bay plus an internal 3.5 bay. Ive used a 3.5 converter to two 2.5 bays for the internal 750G drive and a StarTech trayless hot swap mobile rack for the SSD drive. I replaced the existing power supply with a 1U Athena FlexATX 300W unit and ordered two 60mm x 25mm fans and two 40mm x 25mm fans, both from SilenX, to replace the existing fans I added, or in place, that are rather noisy.

          After several attempts, I installed XP on a 17Gb partition and Kubuntu 11.04 on a 30Gb partition of the 750Gb drive; when everything is loaded, Ill transfer these OSs to the 64Gb SSD.

          Installing these OSs proved to be something of a challenge as I was unfamiliar with the BIOS settings required. After numerous attempts I discovered that I had to have the BIOS PCI/ROM priority set to EFI. When running the Kubuntu install CD, select UEFI [DVD_drive] to install it in GPT mode. For XP, I set the SATA mode to [AHCI] and when booting with the XP CD, select AHCI [DVD_drive] to install it in MBR mode. If these setting are changed after installation, XP will not boot.

          The XP install CD does not contain the necessary drivers for this SATA mode, and I had to temporally plug in a 3.5 floppy drive and create a SATA/ SATAII/ SATA3 driver diskette. This is done using the ASRock DVD that is packaged with the motherboard. During POST at boot-up, press F11 and select DVD/CD device. Press Y> when prompted if you want to generate a Serial ATA driver diskette. When the XP installation CD starts, it loads a range of drivers with the comment to press F6 to add additional drivers. Pressing F6 allows the SATA driver to be loaded after loading its own drivers. There seems to be no option but to use a floppy diskette for this purpose unless you can slipstream an XP install CD.

          Loading XP after I had installed Kubuntu meant I had no dual boot or Grub loader. I loaded a Parted Magic CD, selected the Extras Menu and ran the Grub2 bootloader. I then selected Find OSs so that I could boot into Kubuntu. Once up and running I re-installed Grub2 and installed a Grub bootmanager/configuration utility, chose XP as the default Boot OS, and rebooted.

          Comment


          • #20
            Why not switch to Windows 7? When I installed XP Pro, I always used a slipstreamed CD to avoid the very issues you speak of.

            One thing to know about Asrock 1155 SB boards is that they all use the etron chip for the USB 3.0. It's still not supporting Linux yet but apparently there are now patches for it. Unfortunately, the support will only effect installs using kernel 3.0. Something like that, anyway.

            Comment


            • #21
              SATA controllers not supporting IDE mode (Intel, for example) can often be problematic with Win XP. I'd rather use a motherboard with AMD chipset - those chipsets sometimes offer a BIOS option for good old IDE mode to get SATA working with XP without needing to fiddle with drivers or floppy's.

              Comment


              • #22
                use nlite to integrate the needed driver, piece of cake.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  use nlite to integrate the needed driver, piece of cake.
                  Presto!

                  nlite's great.... for XP users, it's essential.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Panix View Post
                    Why not switch to Windows 7? When I installed XP Pro, I always used a slipstreamed CD to avoid the very issues you speak of.

                    One thing to know about Asrock 1155 SB boards is that they all use the etron chip for the USB 3.0. It's still not supporting Linux yet but apparently there are now patches for it. Unfortunately, the support will only effect installs using kernel 3.0. Something like that, anyway.
                    The reason I'm using XP & Kubuntu is that I intensely dislike the way Microsoft is heading--relying on simple user groups to develop their products. This is generally frustrating for me and many others. Personally, I'd rather spend my money on decent hardware than waste it on overpriced MS software.

                    It was easier at the time to pop the top of the case off and add a temporary floppy drive. If I was going to do this often, I would slipstream the CD. I assume that if one booted from a USB floppy with DOS 6.22 & a CD driver, that would work if the floppy was designated Drive A:

                    Thanks for the tip about Kernel 3.0, Kubuntu 11.04 does not seem to use it, so I guess I'll have to wait. I can always use an eSata port if I have large local data transfers, or use XP.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Loaded4th View Post
                      Thanks for the tip about Kernel 3.0, Kubuntu 11.04 does not seem to use it, so I guess I'll have to wait. I can always use an eSata port if I have large local data transfers, or use XP.
                      I was reading about it because I'm considering an Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 1155 mobo in case I upgrade. Even if it's a bit more $$ than I'd like, it looks interesting. The Pro3 is another alternative. They all use the etron chip so I read up a bit on it. Apparently, there's an upstream fix or patches that can be applied for a 2.6.38 kernel. I only skimmed over it since I have no idea yet if I'm upgrading or to what brand/board.

                      I probably would still be using usb 2.0 anyway so it will likely be solved by then. Also, there's a lot of usb 2.0 ports anyway. It was mostly FYI in case you tried to use it.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Panix View Post
                        I was reading about it because I'm considering an Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 1155 mobo in case I upgrade. Even if it's a bit more $$ than I'd like, it looks interesting. The Pro3 is another alternative. They all use the etron chip so I read up a bit on it. Apparently, there's an upstream fix or patches that can be applied for a 2.6.38 kernel. I only skimmed over it since I have no idea yet if I'm upgrading or to what brand/board.

                        I probably would still be using usb 2.0 anyway so it will likely be solved by then. Also, there's a lot of usb 2.0 ports anyway. It was mostly FYI in case you tried to use it.
                        I only paid $35 at MicroCenter for the Asrock Z68 Pro3, but the core i7 + cooler was 8 times that! Still, it's been a while since I spent any real money on a system, and this should last for maybe a decade with all the software I'm ever likely to use. I actually spent about $500 on the whole system as a friend kicked in a bit as I'd spent a considerable amount of time on upgrading his system. I would have preferred an AMD processor, but this was a special deal plus the low power.

                        I'm a bit of a newbe on Kubuntu, although I have managed to work my way through a few challenges in the past, even compiling an intel driver for an old HP DC5100 a few revisions ago by following instructions!

                        Even though some of the points I mentioned have been listed elsewhere in this forum, I just wanted to share the major hurdles I faced in a single post. You seem to be taking a more cautious approach to your investment, I guess I was a bit more impulsive, as I hadn't really researched the Linux side, although XP was my main focus.

                        Thanks again...

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Panix View Post
                          One thing to know about Asrock 1155 SB boards is that they all use the etron chip for the USB 3.0. It's still not supporting Linux yet but apparently there are now patches for it. Unfortunately, the support will only effect installs using kernel 3.0. Something like that, anyway.
                          Good to know.
                          I'm about to buy a Z68M-ITX, which has an ASMedia ASM1042. Is that chip better supported by Linux?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            The Etron and ASM1042 both use the xHCI standard, which isn't yet bug-free in Ubuntu 11.04/Linux 2.6.38. There has been some upstream work so perhaps it'll be working better with 11.10/3.0.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by puntarenas View Post
                              Unfortunately this mainboard has problems with dual boot setups using Linux besides Windows 7-x64, warmstarts result in networking problems. Whenever I boot into Windows, the NIC goes nuts in an "em1: link up" loop after rebooting into Linux, which makes it unusable. You always have to completely shutdown the system after using Windows, otherwise you will end up without reliable networking under Linux:

                              http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...89#post1492789
                              Just for the record, kernel 3.1 fixed this problem (3.1.0-0.rc8.git0.0.fc16.x86_64).
                              Last edited by puntarenas; 10-04-2011, 01:19 AM.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                unable to unstall k/ubuntu 11.10

                                I'm having no luck installing Kubuntu 11.10 64-bit.. also tried and failed with Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit (32 bit is downloading now for the next try).

                                Have upgraded the BIOS to 1.60 (latest on the Asrock site)...

                                Attempting to install via USB stick.

                                Under Ubuntu, I use F11 to select the USB stick for boot... see the Ubuntu installer menu, hit Enter to boot.. see some of the boot log scroll by.. last thing I see is
                                Code:
                                saned disabled: edit /etc/default/saned
                                then the screen goes black, and a short time later I see what looks like a QVGA garbage image, scaled up to 1080p.. ie. a very blocky garbage image, mostly white, with some blue & red mixed in.. I don't seem to get anywhere past that.

                                I've run memtest and all looks good there.

                                Just to be sure.. this is the board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157251

                                EDIT: Kubuntu from burned DVD also fails.. funky screen right after trying to start CUPS.
                                Last edited by zim2dive; 10-23-2011, 07:28 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X