Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD To Support Coreboot On All Future CPUs

Phoronix: AMD To Support Coreboot On All Future CPUs

Here's one non-UDS announcement hitting the web right now that's also very significant for open-source and Linux: Advanced Micro Devices has announced today they will support Coreboot on all future processors...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTQyMQ

Yay! No more boring featureless BIOSes!

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
      Yay! No more boring featureless BIOSes!
      yay instantboot into linux

Comment

can someone outline potential benefits to this????

i've read the wiki and the coreboot page and fail to see any benefits as a "typical" user

Comment

While great in general, I still doubt there will be support for consumer boards. Would love to be wrong on this.

@89c51

Much faster boot, as said above

Comment

Also in terms of consumers how is this better than uefi? After all is coreboot still a BIOS with all the inherent limitations like long hardware initialisation times and antiquated hardware support?

Comment

So in the not-so-distant future I might have a truly open system on my computer.
              Thanks AMD, I'll be sticking with your products!

Saying this with hopes to have this support for consumer parts as well.

Comment

Originally posted by _txf_ View Post
                Also in terms of consumers how is this better than uefi? After all is coreboot still a BIOS with all the inherent limitations like long hardware initialisation times and antiquated hardware support?
                EFI is in practise nothing more than a layer on top of the BIOS. Even Apple still uses a BIOS with some soft of EFI hooks. Ask MacOSx86 project if you don't believe me.

The problem with this BIOS crap is not that it is a BIOS but that it is encrypted (DRM) and it takes hella long before a modern mainboard even reaches the post screen >.<

Comment

Originally posted by _txf_ View Post
                  It's not a BIOS, and it only probes the minimum necessary needed to run linux. There's an old video of a three second boot from power to X using coreboot.

Comment

Coreboot is really interesting, maybe they should tell the board vendors not to solder the bios chip directly for better recovery. If somebody has a spare fusion board let me know...

Comment

Working...
                    X