Linux is a No-Go on My System :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lose usb bios support during ubuntu 6.06 install

ubuntu 6.06, everything was fine until attempted to install ubuntu, now i have no bios support for usb at all not even in windows, I've ever heard of a computer losing usb support. But the ubuntu install did just that when it hung. When the time changes like that you know its some type of bios hiccup. The time has been reset and holds but still no usb suupoort from the bios Pheonix 3 v6

Comment

Well, perhaps it is just dumb luck, but I recently installed ubuntu edgy 6.10 on my Asrock939Dual board with no problems. I am on the BIOS that came with the board (1.40) and I have no problems, including usb support.
      I have one pesky issue with edgy. Mplayer will not play mpeg videos for some reason. Everything else is tip-top. My BIOS has not changed after the install.
      Last edited by tommcd; 11-03-2006, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Also, the nvidia 7900GTX is listed as compatible with ubuntu:
        http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Nvidia
        So I doubt that is the problem. Wish I could figure out what the problem is.

Comment

Well, I'm replacing the motherboard with an EPOX 9NPA3 Ultra this coming week. If anyone wants them, both of my ASRock 939Dual SataII are for sale - $50 for the pair.

Comment

It took just 1 hr 45 minutes to tear the old system down, rebuild it ( with a new primary psu and a 8800GTX), and reinstall Win2K. I expect to attempt an install of Ubuntu 6.10 sometime Friday.

On a down note, before I started reinstalling Win2K, I tried the Ubuntu 6.01 (Drake) live CD, and it doesn't appear to like the 8800gtx at all. Hopefully, 6.10 won't be so fussy.

Comment

Well, Ubuntu 6.10 doesn't like my video card or my hard drives for some reason. However, Fedora Core 6 installed smooth as butter. I think Ubuntu is goin' backwards...

Comment

Working...
              X