Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asus P5Q

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Asus P5Q

    Hello,

    I'm trying to find a good motherboard to mount an core2duo, or a quad, with ddr2 memory.

    I run Debian gnu/linux Etch or lenny, and wanted to know if the Asus P5Q motherboard is a good choise for that. if all the chip onboard (Lan/sound...) are reconnized 'out of the box'.

    Thanks you for any clue on this board or advices for another board maybe.

    Best.

    and sorry for my awful english.

  • #2
    I just built my new system with an Asus P5Q Pro and it is stupid fast. Everything onboard works but you will need a very recent kernel I'm pretty sure. I don't believe the onboard ethernet driver was in the stable kernel until at least 2.6.26.

    As far as ease of installation and linux support goes I can highly recommend the board. This is my first Asus so only time will tell from a reliability viewpoint.

    Comment


    • #3
      hello,

      Thank psycho_driver.

      All i really need is the ata/sata work from the debian cd install (etch or lenny) once a small system is installed and bootable, i can manage to bring newer kernel sources and build an adapted one for this board. So i hope the usb work also 'out of the box' even with older kernel vanilla of debian, thus i need to plug my usb device to use the newer kernel sources.

      Can you describe your configuration please ? And also the distro you've installed on this board.

      Many thanks !

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by pingouin View Post
        hello,

        Thank psycho_driver.

        All i really need is the ata/sata work from the debian cd install (etch or lenny) once a small system is installed and bootable, i can manage to bring newer kernel sources and build an adapted one for this board. So i hope the usb work also 'out of the box' even with older kernel vanilla of debian, thus i need to plug my usb device to use the newer kernel sources.

        Can you describe your configuration please ? And also the distro you've installed on this board.

        Many thanks !
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131299

        That's the board I used. Everything is supported in the 2.6.28 kernel I'm usnig. Alsa works using snd-hda-intel (it thinks it's an alc883 instead of 1200, but it works). SATA support is provided by the Intel ICH10 support, which should be included in the kernel for a little while now. I think the at1le network device was the last piece of hardware to become supported. The USB hardware is pretty standard I believe. You shouldn't have any problems with older kernels there. EIDE is a marvell chipset, which works for me, but I'm not sure how long it's been supported.

        I installed gentoo on the system but I had to use a ubuntu 9.04 pre-release install disk to boot the system with network support (and for ext4), then manually installed gentoo from a stage1 tarball. I'm guessing a similar trick could be performed for most other distros if your distro's latest boot CD doesn't have a new enough kernel (like Gentoo 2008.0).

        The actual hardware in the system is an e5200 stable at 10.5 x 342 (3.59ghz) on stock cooling, 4gb geil ram, two wd 160gb sata drives in raid 1 (which was a chore to install too, but I'm assuming you won't be installing straight to a raid setup, otherwise I can give you some pointers), and a 250gb eide drive on the marvell pata ports. The only add-in I have in the system is a PNY Geforce 9800GT.

        I'm very, very happy with the performance and stability of the system, so far.

        Comment


        • #5
          Hello,

          Thank you very much for your informations, psycho_driver , and for your time.

          I've seen that an RC2 of debian Lenny is out since few days, it have the 2.6.26 kernel, hope it will make it right !

          Many thanks again.

          Comment


          • #6
            I have ubuntu 8.10 (kernel 2.6.27) and all work perfectly. Only temperature sensors are partially implement.

            I recommend this this motherboard.

            My system is a P5Q+E8400+2x2GB

            Comment


            • #7
              Asus P5q Pro - RAID1 - Please provide these pointers

              Originally posted by psycho_driver View Post
              two wd 160gb sata drives in raid 1 (which was a chore to install too, but I'm assuming you won't be installing straight to a raid setup, otherwise I can give you some pointers),
              Could you please provide these pointers, since I intend to install Debian Testing (11-May-2009) to a RAID1 setup.
              What are your reasons for not installing straight to a RAID setup?

              --
              Asus P5q Pro
              2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 (s-ata Ii/750gb/32mb)

              Comment


              • #8
                doesnt it also contain sata ports by some chip other than the ich10? do those work?

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm using the P5K for an Intel Core 2 Duo (E8500) and 4 GB DDR-2 RAM and it works well, so you may also want to look at that board as it's also a bit cheaper than the P5Q.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Debian Testing 11-may-2009 won't install on Asus P5Q (Attinsic LAN, ICH10R RAID1)

                    Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
                    doesnt it also contain sata ports by some chip other than the ich10? do those work?
                    The manual only mentions the Intel ICH10R chip for SATA.
                    I've tried to set SATA operation mode in BIOS to RAID and AHCI, but Debian Installer doesn't reconise RAID volumes as set by the Intel Matrix Storage, so I'm stuck while trying to install straight to RAID1 setup.
                    Also the onboard Attansic Technology Corp. L1 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter is not supported out-of-the-box.
                    I'm now trying the advanced install to load addional drivers from USB-storage.
                    Pointers more than welcome.

                    --
                    Asus P5q Pro
                    Corsair XMS2-8500 Dominator 2048MB DDR2 SDRAM | TWIN2048-8500C5D
                    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
                    2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 (s-ata Ii/750gb/32mb)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      RAID1 works in d-i using Asus XpertDrive BIOS util

                      Originally posted by rvdnberg View Post
                      I've tried to set SATA operation mode in BIOS to RAID and AHCI, but Debian Installer doesn't reconise RAID volumes as set by the Intel Matrix Storage, so I'm stuck while trying to install straight to RAID1 setup.
                      I've used the Asus' XpertDrive BIOS utility to enable hardware RAID1 instead of Intel Matrix Storage (= software RAID) and now d-i reconises the RAID of to physical disks as one volume, so I can install staight to RAID1.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        There was a problem with using the IDE ports on the marvell chip in AHCI mode that was fixed in kernel 2.6.26-12. I had to set the storage operation mode (in bios) back to default to be able to use my IDE cdrom to install in the first place.

                        Once I had a recent kernel going I switched to AHCI mode.

                        Btw I did stumble upon a link with a workaround for the pata_marvell/achi issue: http://duncanelliot.com/blog/?p=18 which does contain a second link to how to install debian from a usb flask disk.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X