Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Core i7 and X58 experience?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel Core i7 and X58 experience?

    Now that they are out, please post your experience with Intel Core i7 CPU and X58 chipset. I am wondering if anyone has installed Linux(any distro, in general) on this new platform.

    Of course, a thorough review from Phoronix would be ideal.

    A bit OT: In the kernel config, there is an option to choose "Core 2" for Core 2 Duo processors. Anyone knows of any new options regarding Core i7?

  • #2
    I'm also very interested in Linux compatability on X58 platform. Recently making the decision to move to 100% Linux, I was very dissapointed to find that my board (Foxconn 590) is a royal pain in the arse to install Linux on. (Not to mention lack of ethernet.)

    I've been looking at this Gigabyte board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128362 but can't find a single iota of compatability info on the net.

    Comment


    • #3
      We hope to have some Core i7 / motherboard reviews out soon...
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Michael View Post
        We hope to have some Core i7 / motherboard reviews out soon...
        If possible, can we get some heads-up on which boards the reviews will be on? I am particularly interested in EVGA's X58 board.

        Comment


        • #5
          The news is out. The I7 chips have a bug. It's the same bug that cost AMD reputation and trust loss with their K10 chips.

          http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...earch&aq=f&oq=

          I'm glad I didn't buy one yet

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            The news is out. The I7 chips have a bug. It's the same bug that cost AMD reputation and trust loss with their K10 chips.

            http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...earch&aq=f&oq=

            I'm glad I didn't buy one yet
            Do you guys think that this bug can be easily circumvented at the BIOS/kernel level?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mahuyar View Post
              Do you guys think that this bug can be easily circumvented at the BIOS/kernel level?
              Sure, the same way it was worked around with the original Phenoms. The question being how bad is the performance hit by doing so.

              Comment


              • #8
                The first link on the above google search says:
                Furthermore, a quick search on Google will show you this errata is not only in the Core i7 processor but in various other Intel chips, including Core 2, Atom, Celeron, Pentium Dual-Core and Xeon series processors. We'll keep you updated about this issue but IMO this is nothing more than crying wolf.
                I've never heard of TLB before now, but why is everyone going crazy over it if it's been on Intel's processors for years? Every processor has bugs...

                Here's an interesting post http://forums.vr-zone.com/showpost.p...40&postcount=6 about the problems which Core 2 suffered. With a quote from linus!

                EDIT: And it turns out it has already been fixed, before the release. It seems this only became a problem because Intel kept it secret.
                Last edited by Xanikseo; 12-01-2008, 06:22 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  The news is out. The I7 chips have a bug. It's the same bug that cost AMD reputation and trust loss with their K10 chips.

                  http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...earch&aq=f&oq=

                  I'm glad I didn't buy one yet
                  Pure bullshit from Fudzilla again. Never trust anything from that site 100%. If there's a news drought Fuad will go and find something and call it news, nevermind that it's proven to be crap later.

                  Firstly, all chips have erratas. Bugs that don't show up in actual use. These are documented by the chip makers.

                  Secondly, this one was even fixed in an old revision long before release.

                  http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15979

                  I think it's awestriking that people still take anything from that guy seriously.

                  On another note, I have an i7 here, might try a liveCD or something.. It's my gaming PC so it has Windows on it. Linux is for my laptop.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by joffe View Post
                    Pure bullshit from Fudzilla again. Never trust anything from that site 100%. If there's a news drought Fuad will go and find something and call it news, nevermind that it's proven to be crap later.

                    Firstly, all chips have erratas. Bugs that don't show up in actual use. These are documented by the chip makers.

                    Secondly, this one was even fixed in an old revision long before release.

                    http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15979

                    I think it's awestriking that people still take anything from that guy seriously.

                    On another note, I have an i7 here, might try a liveCD or something.. It's my gaming PC so it has Windows on it. Linux is for my laptop.
                    Which motherboard are you using? If you could give Linux a whirl on it, that would be awesome.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Starclopsofish View Post
                      Which motherboard are you using? If you could give Linux a whirl on it, that would be awesome.
                      I have the ASUS P6T Deluxe - I'll try installing Ubuntu on a spare hard drive tomorrow, it's night here now.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by joffe View Post
                        I have the ASUS P6T Deluxe - I'll try installing Ubuntu on a spare hard drive tomorrow, it's night here now.
                        I would be most appreciative! I found some encouraging tidbits on that Gigabyte board I was eyeing today...

                        http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=460345

                        apparently it's better supported in Linux than it is in Windows. Your days may be numbered, XP..... I suppose I'll never have the priviledge of experiencing DirextX 10, but all of my retro and modern C&C games work in Wine so I think I can manage.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm posting from that machine now and it works. Unlike Windows Vista which required the bundled driver CD to function at all this works out of the box. Maybe there are some X58 drivers for Linux around as well.. I might poke a little.

                          Anything you want me to try to run?

                          Also, I just realised that in my infinite cleverness I installed the x86 version, given that my disc was originally made for my Pentium M laptop.. So the 6GB of RAM are actually 3, and I suppose general performance will suffer as well.
                          Last edited by joffe; 12-03-2008, 10:33 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by joffe View Post
                            I suppose general performance will suffer as well.
                            Probably not so much unless you really do actively commit that much memory to applications.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by joffe View Post
                              I'm posting from that machine now and it works. Unlike Windows Vista which required the bundled driver CD to function at all this works out of the box. Maybe there are some X58 drivers for Linux around as well.. I might poke a little.

                              Anything you want me to try to run?

                              Also, I just realised that in my infinite cleverness I installed the x86 version, given that my disc was originally made for my Pentium M laptop.. So the 6GB of RAM are actually 3, and I suppose general performance will suffer as well.
                              Well I was really just wanting to make sure ethernet was working and there were no "show-stopper" bugs. Thanks a lot! I suppose its down to that board and the Gigabyte. The Gigabyte one is STACKED. I mean just look at the panel and the pci slots... I was originally leaning toward the ASUS for it's eSATA, but I was absolutely tickled to find out that the GB comes with an expansion slot with two :P

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X