No announcement yet.

AMD Announces The Rx 300 Series, Fiji-Based Fury X, R9 Nano, Project Quantum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Announces The Rx 300 Series, Fiji-Based Fury X, R9 Nano, Project Quantum

Phoronix: AMD Launches The Rx 300 Series, Fiji-Based Fury X, R9 Nano, Project Quantum

AMD announced their Radeon Rx 300 series line-up just now via an event in Los Angeles that was live-streamed on Twitch...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fury (liquid) XT $649
    Fury (air) $549
    Fury nano ?

Torn between nano and full fury, any word on drivers from our AMD teamers?

Comment

I know that some of the new AMD cards are actually shipping with Linux drivers on the CD this time, and it is the 15.200 branch. Should appear online very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        I know that some of the new AMD cards are actually shipping with Linux drivers on the CD this time, and it is the 15.200 branch. Should appear online very soon.
        But without the amdgpu support it seems very unlikely that a linux driver on a factory cd would be usable in the future. Say 2 years from now some noob tries installing that driver on the then latest kernel and it doesn't work or the then latest xorg and it doesn't work....

I just don't see it making sense.

Comment

The R9 Nano if priced aggressively would steal a big chunk of Green's marketshare.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
            Fury (liquid) XT $649
            Fury (air) $549
            Fury nano ?

Torn between nano and full fury, any word on drivers from our AMD teamers?
            I'm not an AMD dev but in my experience, if you're looking for linux support and especially open source support, you might want to either wait or go for one of the GCN 1.1 (or older) GPUs. This isn't an attack on AMD - Linux usually isn't ideal for cutting-edge hardware unless it's used in servers. Nvidia has good linux support because their GPUs are used in servers.

If you wait for the 4.2 kernel, or, if you do a lot of openCL stuff (with catalyst) I'm sure you'll get some decent support with the Fury GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              But without the amdgpu support it seems very unlikely that a linux driver on a factory cd would be usable in the future. Say 2 years from now some noob tries installing that driver on the then latest kernel and it doesn't work or the then latest xorg and it doesn't work....

I just don't see it making sense.
              We are adding Fiji support to the amdgpu kernel driver as well. Not sure of exact timing yet but sooner rather than later.

What don't you see making sense ? Nobody uses the factory CD for anything other than initial install anyways, at least nobody I know.
              Test signature

Comment

How does the watercooling work? I want to make a small PC (with an intel cpu, sorry, AMD, not waiting for Zen) that I can take with me in a bag or backpack or so. Is this possible with the water cooling or should I wait for the air cooled GPU? (Can anyone predict how loud this thing will be anyway?)

DirectX 12 was mentioned extensively during the hour-long presentation -- including DX12 demos -- while Vulkan received a few mentions. Linux (and anything open-source related) received no mentions.

Sad. AMD is opening up so nicely, yet keeps clinging to and excessively promoting this one proprietary microsoft exclusive API.

Just imagine what would happen if all these companies and tech journalists would simply ignore directx12 and only advertise vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
                  How does the watercooling work?
                  Usually what they mean with water cooling is that it uses copper pipes which are sealed and fill with water. In any case most water cooling systems are sealed so you shouldn't have any issues carrying it around.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
                    How does the watercooling work? I want to make a small PC (with an intel cpu, sorry, AMD, not waiting for Zen) that I can take with me in a bag or backpack or so. Is this possible with the water cooling or should I wait for the air cooled GPU? (Can anyone predict how loud this thing will be anyway?)

Sad. AMD is opening up so nicely, yet keeps clinging to and excessively promoting this one proprietary microsoft exclusive API.

Just imagine what would happen if all these companies and tech journalists would simply ignore directx12 and only advertise vulkan.

Here i guess is not AMD or nVidia's fault but khronos, i specially suspect fiji will not play at full potential with DX11 due the massive bus but with Mantle like APIs it could be a monster when optimized, so they are taking the chance and showing future proof performance but probably they cannot show off Vulkan since the spec is not released officially yet.

The main issue here is khronos is taking too long to release the spec and probably microsoft chopped some portions of the API into a future release (12.1) to be sure to hit the market first. I expect vulkan will be faster than dx12 for a while but microsoft got all the WOW effect launching first

Comment

Working...
                    X