ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@d2kx

The test shows todays Linux performance and the AMD GPUs have lost Of course you can boot Win to get different results, that's not the point.

Comment

Why 4.0 Ghz?

Hi

There's something I don't understand - why was the CPU overclocked in ALL the tests? I would like to know the usage of a normal CPU (something between 2 and 3 GHz?) while playing HD videos, not that of a 4 GHz beast.

Comment

Originally posted by urfe View Post
        Hi

There's something I don't understand - why was the CPU overclocked in ALL the tests? I would like to know the usage of a normal CPU (something between 2 and 3 GHz?) while playing HD videos, not that of a 4 GHz beast.
        The CPU is overclocked to make the GPU the bottle neck in tests.

Comment

I also take issue with the CPU overclocking, but since all tests were done with the same speeds it's not such a big deal.
          Last edited by Melcar; 26 June 2008, 07:22 PM.

Comment

These cards are great cards, I think within the next 3 months it should be the card to get since the drivers will mature. Although when crossfire comes out soon and say its nearly as effective as Windows, it might be a great solution. Although my expectations of crossfire performance on Linux isn't very high at the moment but we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
              The CPU is overclocked to make the GPU the bottle neck in tests.
              Yes, for games, but HD content playback should show something else - high usage on a normal CPU because there's no GPU support enabled in the drivers, yet. The overclocked CPU, in this case, invalidates the test, as there is no logic in using so much (unrealistic) computational power just to show that 'There is no UVD2 (Unified Video Decoder 2) support on Linux at this time'. They should have used something at 1.8 - 2 Ghz. and say 'look, the CPU usage jumps to 50 - 60% while playing this movie (average CPU) because there's not hardware acceleration'.

Comment

Originally posted by Josko View Post
                I didn't say that it isn't OpenGL, but ATI have/had problems with Wine games especialy Direct3D games(ATI is not supporting full OpenGL specification that are requied for wine to emulate Direct3D), but also OpenGL games like WoW have/had problems (not only crashes but also poor performance) so I want to know if it is working now or not...
                you will probably be quite disappointed if you attempt to look at wine on nvidia vs ati...

Comment

Originally posted by urfe View Post
                  Yes, for games, but HD content playback should show something else - high usage on a normal CPU because there's no GPU support enabled in the drivers, yet. The overclocked CPU, in this case, invalidates the test, as there is no logic in using so much (unrealistic) computational power just to show that 'There is no UVD2 (Unified Video Decoder 2) support on Linux at this time'. They should have used something at 1.8 - 2 Ghz. and say 'look, the CPU usage jumps to 50 - 60% while playing this movie (average CPU) because there's not hardware acceleration'.
                  im not really sure what you expect catalyst drivers to do about h264 either.. its not like they can magically speed up H264 decoding, you would need support for it in ffmpeg, or another h264 decoder.

and theres no way in hell the ffmpeg project will include support for that stuff unless it were to be open...

Comment

Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
                    im not really sure what you expect catalyst drivers to do about h264 either.. its not like they can magically speed up H264 decoding, you would need support for it in ffmpeg, or another h264 decoder.

and theres no way in hell the ffmpeg project will include support for that stuff unless it were to be open...
                    Yes, you are right, I should have said something like 'there are no open specifications on how to use UVD'. Also, yes, that would be a ffmpeg job.

Comment

Is there a phoronix test suite profile I can use to compare against my system? I've seen past articles where you provide the profile parameter that needs to be entered for comparison.

Comment

Working...
                      X