Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GeForce 9800GTX 512MB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NVIDIA GeForce 9800GTX 512MB

    Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce 9800GTX 512MB

    We've been meaning to deliver benchmarks of the NVIDIA GeForce 9800GTX under Linux for some time, but with the recent rollout of the GeForce GTX 200 series, the competition presented by the ATI Radeon HD 4850, and the introduction of the GeForce 9800GTX+, the GeForce 9800GTX is dropping in price and captivating the interest of a different segment of users. Finally we are delivering these benchmarks of the GeForce 9800GTX with Ubuntu Linux and using the most recent NVIDIA driver release, which has a number of improvements since the G92 chipset was introduced back in April. The graphics card we're using is the EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=12524

  • #2
    Why are you comparing the 9800GTX to a previous gen card? You have a 4850 and the 9800GTX is a direct competitor to that card. Why not run a head to head against the same class card?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Why are you comparing the 9800GTX to a previous gen card? You have a 4850 and the 9800GTX is a direct competitor to that card. Why not run a head to head against the same class card?
      It will be with the 4850 review. The testing had started before the 4850 was ready for testing due to a BIOS bug.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        Can't wait for wednesday (with the official 4850/4870 launch + reviews only one of the many reasons for that)

        Comment


        • #5
          Well, I can see why people are complaining about 2D performance on Nvidia's M$ DX10 cards. My crappy ye olde laptop with a single core Dothan and a 6600 128mb card is faster Also, it's a shame about the lack of power management with Nvidia. With the progress ATI is making now, I can't see myself buying another NV card Now if ATI would just hurry up

          Comment


          • #6
            Current state of powermizer

            Are the power saving functions working with current drivers? I'm planning on buing a second hand 9800 gtx+ card, but only if it idles nicely. Also, how is the 2D acceleration nowadays?

            Comment


            • #7
              Are you picking up a thread which is two years old?

              Also 9800 series can't down clock on idle because they were not designed with that in mind. Go get a GTX 200 or GTX 400 series cards, they down clock like crazy on idle and all works well in Linux.

              I am able to even get 10 more watt saving running Linux than Win 7. I'm using a GTX 260 and it idles at 300/600/100. The powermizer state can be viewed and set on Linux driver.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
                Are you picking up a thread which is two years old?
                Yes, there was this time aspect, drivers now and then.

                Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
                Also 9800 series can't down clock on idle because they were not designed with that in mind. Go get a GTX 200 or GTX 400 series cards, they down clock like crazy on idle and all works well in Linux.
                Yeah, it seem that 9800 gtx+ can't down clock, although gts 250 which is basically same technology can. Go figure.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ffaarao View Post
                  Yes, there was this time aspect, drivers now and then.
                  "Graphics Cards Discuss the latest and greatest in graphics cards, as well as the Linux compatibility and performance."

                  Oops, sorry.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X