No announcement yet.

NVIDIA vs. AMD 2D Performance Benchmarks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm glad 2D is going away. These benchmarks just show how AMD probably invested quite a bit of effort into 2d over 3d and that doesn't really matter anymore.

Once we are all on Wayland anyway, and all the GPU drivers are using GLAMOR in the xwayland DDX for just backwards compatibility (at least for the sane foss drivers, heres hoping Catalyst is just left behind entirely and Nvidia can suffer a bit providing their own xwayland driver layer) and egl / opengl for everything in the native desktops, there won't even be any 2D anymore.

Comment

Do the Nvidia results improve at all if you change the performance governor from adaptive to max?

Comment

Originally posted by md1032 View Post
        Do the Nvidia results improve at all if you change the performance governor from adaptive to max?
        Those are power states, but i can be wrong for nvidia . I see radeon driver also have those changible, so maybe there are also some difference between balanced and performance but those differences should be seen only on laptops i think .

http://www.botchco.com/agd5f/?p=57

Comment

Firefox SMOOTH scrolling performance is butter with Gallium and MUCH slower using Catalyst 14.4. That's weird given these benchmarks. I wonder if it's a problem particular to Firefox. Anyone else seeing this?

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
            Firefox SMOOTH scrolling performance is butter with Gallium and MUCH slower using Catalyst 14.4. That's weird given these benchmarks. I wonder if it's a problem particular to Firefox. Anyone else seeing this?
            Do you run a compositor?
            From my experience 2d performance significantly drops for Catalyst + Compositor.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
              Do you run a compositor?
              From my experience 2d performance significantly drops for Catalyst + Compositor.
              Yeah, KWin. I just noticed that after suspending compositing scrolling is indeed smoother. Not sure if it's still as smooth as Gallium, but these subjective things are hard to judge.

Comment

Qt4 using the raster graphicssystem (default in 4.8) or native (default <4.8)?

The raster system is software rendering, which is expecially faster on nvidia, since the using native and relying on 2D acceleration was hopelessly slow.

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
                  Yeah, KWin. I just noticed that after suspending compositing scrolling is indeed smoother. Not sure if it's still as smooth as Gallium, but these subjective things are hard to judge.
                  I count four people here on forums which use kwin and have some issues with fglrx, so i think it is best to investigate what is main "slowness" culprit with using kwin - is it composite or not, etc. .

Comment

Working...
                  X