Open-Source Graphics Performance With Unvanquished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phill1978 View Post
    I know im being dumb but i can never get this to work on Linux Mint 15 or 16. I tried the deb's but no, I tried the wget's but no.. I tried various versions but no. Then i tried to compile but no. The PPA didnt work either.

This was a few weeks ago the last time I tried to be fair.

Can someone post how to install this and have it working on Linux Mint 16 with a 3.13.8 Kernal easily or its not worth the effort.
    Try the latest oibaf and see if it works. Oibaf drivers do work with Mint 16. Also which Mint? Cinnamon Mint UI sucks for 3D applications. It tends to freeze up. Try MATE, KDE, or XFCE versions of Mint.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
      Why does it feel like your benchmarks have serious issues? I have compositing enabled, and in any benchmark, with an equivalent card and driver, I get much higher FPS with always smooth games.
      Same situation here... Radeon HD 5850 1GB VRam, Kernel 3.13.7(3.14 cannot work with compositing effects don't know why!), KDE 4.12.4, whole X.org (Xserver 1.16 rc1) and Mesa stack from pontostroy repository daily git updates, latest ucode-amd and firmware packages 2014-03-19, opensuse 13.1 x64.
      At unigine tropics for example I get with compositing Kwin effects enabled almost double framerate than with compositing disabled with R600g driver. I also notice much higher framerate and smoother visuals than Catalyst 14.3 beta gives on Tropics demo with or without compositing enabled!
      But why does compositing raises almost at double the framerates at 3D graphics with r600g driver?

Michael can you run some benches with compositing on or off in various 3D tests for OSS drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
        You didn't mention the 290 in the tests, how is it working with the FOSS driver nowadays? I just placed an order for one, so I hope it at least starts
        Nope 290 does not work currently and accel is disabled by default

Comment

Michael, have you ever considered seeing if you can flash a 6970 BIOS to your 6950 to unlock the extra cores? Many 6950s can do this without an issue, so in effect there are more 6970s than there are 6950s out there, so it'd make for a better comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            Nope 290 does not work currently and accel is disabled by default
            Any news from the FOSS-team regarding when it will start working? They probably have a backlog item/release plan for it.
            Does it start at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
              Any news from the FOSS-team regarding when it will start working? They probably have a backlog item/release plan for it.
              Does it start at all?
              I don't have a hardware so not sure, but code is there for six months:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

3.13 kernel has support, but last month they disable accel for some reason... agd5f will know better why and when will be enabled again .

Comment

Working...
              X