Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

30-Way Graphics Card Comparison On Ubuntu Linux 14.04 LTS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 30-Way Graphics Card Comparison On Ubuntu Linux 14.04 LTS

    Phoronix: 30-Way Graphics Card Comparison On Ubuntu Linux 14.04 LTS

    After this week already seeing how the open-source graphics drivers supplied by Ubuntu 14.04 LTS allow Radeon Gallium3D to run at ~80% of the Catalyst Linux driver and how open-source graphics still struggle with older hardware, our latest testing of the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS development version that will be released next month leads us to benchmarking 30 different AMD Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards under this popular desktop Linux distribution.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19960

  • #2
    Thanks for this. Was just gonna get a GTX 750, seems like the perfect gpu for work / casual gaming.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by jukkan View Post
      Thanks for this. Was just gonna get a GTX 750, seems like the perfect gpu for work / casual gaming.
      For work, you usually don't need any dedicated GPU.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Calinou View Post
        For work, you usually don't need any dedicated GPU.
        But if you game with the same machine, it obviously would come handy to have a GPU that is energy efficient & not very noisy at idle.

        Comment


        • #5
          Redundant to test 8800GT with 9800GT

          Michael, FYI: 8800GT = 9800GT = GTS250 You only need to test one of them.
          They use either the G92a or G92b gpus. Difference was just going from 65nm to 55nm, and that useless hybrid feature.

          You can actually crossflash the things around and they id themselves as any of these models. Ie the 9800gt firmware enables phys support to the 8800gt.
          The only reason you get different results is memory size, and speed (some such as "green" models came underclocked).

          I know nvidia has reused their gpus in other models but thats the one i know the most.

          The 8800GTS was a different beast, much more worth testing IMO.

          The 8800GT was infamous because of their badly configured firmware fan settings, the card would happily reach 90c with factory firmware.
          With a few firmware tweaks on mine, it never got past 70c. Some people lost their cards for trusting their manufacturer supplied firmware settings, but some brands did issue firmware updates. Oh and the single slot reference model was very noisy when pushed to max.

          Compared to the quiet and power efficient 750ti, its incredible how much progress nvidia has done. I'll probably replace my 460 with the 750ti or a newer maxwell based gpu.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post
            Michael, FYI: 8800GT = 9800GT = GTS250 You only need to test one of them.
            ...
            Not quite so, 8800gt and 9800gt are same core config 112 cuda cores(though Michael's cards have different memory configs), but gts250 is rebranded 9800gtx/8800gts512 with full g92 128 cuda cores.

            Comment


            • #7
              Please stop writing "binary driver"

              Please stop writing "binary driver" . You can only employ drivers in their binary form . Either write "binary-only driver", since their souce code is what is not provided by their authors and missing to the end-user, or write "propietary driver". Thanks.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by toka View Post
                Please stop writing "binary driver" . You can only employ drivers in their binary form . Either write "binary-only driver", since their souce code is what is not provided by their authors and missing to the end-user, or write "propietary driver". Thanks.
                You mean end-user-binary-only driver, maybe non-NVidia-guys-binary-only driver?

                If you want to be perfectionist, be a true perfectionist.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by toka View Post
                  Please stop writing "binary driver" . You can only employ drivers in their binary form . Either write "binary-only driver", since their souce code is what is not provided by their authors and missing to the end-user, or write "propietary driver". Thanks.
                  um... seriously?

                  "Binary Driver" is a well known and accepted term for drivers that are only obtainable in their binary form, as opposed to "open source drivers" you are the first and probably the only person I'll ever seen complain about this across the various linux news sites.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti and Ubuntu 13.10

                    Is it safe to say that I must install Ubuntu 14.04 in order for the NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti to work?
                    I am trying to install Ubuntu 13.10 and right where the install goes into graphics mode
                    my install stops. All I have is a flashing cursor.

                    In the process right now of downloading Ubuntu 14.04. If that does not work not sure
                    what to do next.

                    Thanks
                    Peter

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                      "Binary Driver" is a well known and accepted term for drivers that are only obtainable in their binary form,
                      As presiding head chair of the committee for the ratification of well known and accepted terms, I believe you may wish to check the ledger for validation.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by russofris View Post
                        As presiding head chair of the committee for the ratification of well known and accepted terms, I believe you may wish to check the ledger for validation.
                        Ah, but you see the ISO committee for ratification of well known and accepted terms does not have jurisdiction here, the ECMA Committee of Advancing Terms, particularly the subcommittee on Deliberation on Overused and Generalized Statements demands jurisdiction as they think they have a much cooler name than the ISO committee, they also have pizza fridays and wear fedoras.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by peterd View Post
                          Is it safe to say that I must install Ubuntu 14.04 in order for the NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti to work?
                          I am trying to install Ubuntu 13.10 and right where the install goes into graphics mode
                          my install stops. All I have is a flashing cursor.

                          In the process right now of downloading Ubuntu 14.04. If that does not work not sure
                          what to do next.

                          Thanks
                          Peter
                          It should work with 13.10, the thing is you have to boot it with nomodeset and use generic vesa driver for X. I don't know what is the nouveau status for gtx750, but I presume that you have to install newest nvidia binary drivers(version 334.16 or 334.21) for working desktop.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
                            It should work with 13.10, the thing is you have to boot it with nomodeset and use generic vesa driver for X. I don't know what is the nouveau status for gtx750, but I presume that you have to install newest nvidia binary drivers(version 334.16 or 334.21) for working desktop.
                            There is no Nouveau support at all for Maxwell yet and thus don't need to worry about passing nomodeset yet.

                            I forget if it even worked right on xf86-video-vesa as I had SSH'ed in and installed the drivers.
                            Michael Larabel
                            http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              There is no Nouveau support at all for Maxwell yet and thus don't need to worry about passing nomodeset yet.

                              I forget if it even worked right on xf86-video-vesa as I had SSH'ed in and installed the drivers.
                              I'm a bit confused about this... I've just installed Ubuntu 14.04 in a computer with a GTX 750 card and everything went ok, I could boot without any special parameter and the desktop was running with nouveau drivers (those bundled with distro's default 3.13 kernel) even though maxwell architecture is not supported. How's this? Maybe it's a fake GeForce card or something?

                              Code:
                              01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107 [GeForce GTX 750] (rev a2)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X