Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

27-Way NVIDIA & AMD Graphics Card Benchmarks On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 27-Way NVIDIA & AMD Graphics Card Benchmarks On Linux

    Phoronix: 27-Way NVIDIA & AMD Graphics Card Benchmarks On Linux

    After last week delivering a 21-way graphics card comparison on Linux using the open-source Intel, Radeon, and NVIDIA (Nouveau) graphics drivers, this week at Phoronix we have a 27-way graphics card. This time around all of the graphics cards were tested using the closed-source/proprietary AMD Catalyst and NVIDIA graphics drivers.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19429

  • #2
    Have you tried this for fglrx-legacy: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...23425#poststop ?

    Comment


    • #3
      tl;dr
      $320 gtx 770 performing 20-30%+ better than $410 r9 290
      $240 gtx 760 performing +/- 5% of 290

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by peppercats View Post
        tl;dr
        $320 gtx 770 performing 20-30%+ better than $410 r9 290
        $240 gtx 760 performing +/- 5% of 290
        did you compare the 4GB RAM versions of both cards?

        Comment


        • #5
          Ok, so the 770 looks like the best buy right now for a higher end card on Linux.

          Comment


          • #6
            opencl benchmark

            Nice work Michael!

            It would be nice to see luxmark benchmark in the list too.
            It's a very important opencl benchmark to show the gpu power.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
              did you compare the 4GB RAM versions of both cards?
              Does it seem to make a difference in performance?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by extraymond View Post
                It would be nice to see luxmark benchmark in the list too.
                It's a very important opencl benchmark to show the gpu power.
                That would be one benchmark running a fairly static function. All you would have is an indicator of it's "gpu power" for luxmark and nothing more. That's just a little better then using glxgears to show openGL performance.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  That would be one benchmark running a fairly static function. All you would have is an indicator of it's "gpu power" for luxmark and nothing more. That's just a little better then using glxgears to show openGL performance.
                  As long as we can have luxmark result, I really don't mind the form to display it <3
                  I'm thinking luxmark cos that is one remarkable benchmark people can have to imagine performance like bitcoin or opencl rendering and so on.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks Michael for this great testing. Hopefully next time we can the Performance-per-Watt comparison, too.

                    For a owner of R9 270X as me, I'm not very concern about Catalyst gaming performance now.

                    As benchmarks show, Catalyst clearly either hits a cap or has a huge gap behind GeForce.
                    But as long as it's still sits above 60FPS, it won't affect real world game experience much.

                    Surely it also sits behind in all Unigine powered benchmark AND below 60FPS.
                    Well, I can easily low GFX setting a bit in Oil Rush to reach 60FPS, which is the only Unigine powered native Linux game I have.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by extraymond View Post
                      As long as we can have luxmark result, I really don't mind the form to display it <3
                      I'm thinking luxmark cos that is one remarkable benchmark people can have to imagine performance like bitcoin or opencl rendering and so on.
                      The operations in each application differ and play to the strengths or weaknesses of each architecture. Just because Solution A beats Solution B in one openCL benchmark, it does not mean that you can expect the same results across all openCL application implementation.

                      (as far as bitcoin goes, you would be nuts to mine with any of the GPU's now that they have dedicated cheap ASICs that slaughter GPGPU mining.)

                      Something like Rodinia and/or SHOC will give you a better overall computing performance.

                      https://www.cs.virginia.edu/~skadron...h_Accelerators

                      http://keeneland.gatech.edu/software/keeneland/shoc

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                        The operations in each application differ and play to the strengths or weaknesses of each architecture. Just because Solution A beats Solution B in one openCL benchmark, it does not mean that you can expect the same results across all openCL application implementation.

                        (as far as bitcoin goes, you would be nuts to mine with any of the GPU's now that they have dedicated cheap ASICs that slaughter GPGPU mining.)

                        Something like Rodinia and/or SHOC will give you a better overall computing performance.

                        https://www.cs.virginia.edu/~skadron...h_Accelerators

                        http://keeneland.gatech.edu/software/keeneland/shoc


                        Sorry for draging bitcoin in... That's a bad explanation.
                        People have been saying gpgpu for a long time. So it would be nice to have it in the benchmark.
                        Maybe in a more real world use cases I think.

                        Like
                        1.darktable with opencl on(and off)
                        2.luxmark(I love luxrender!!!)
                        3.There will be more softwares introducing opencl I think, not sure if amd's hsa is talking about the same thing.

                        Just pointing these out, because seeing game benchmark is nice, but it would be nice to know the strengh of its opencl power.
                        Anyone can think of any other applicaions that might be benifit by opencl?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by extraymond View Post
                          Just pointing these out, because seeing game benchmark is nice, but it would be nice to know the strengh of its opencl power.
                          Anyone can think of any other applicaions that might be benifit by opencl?
                          It would be nice to know the openCL computing power, however the limited scope applications of what you are benching will not give a good overall picture (or what openCL is primarily used for).

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                            It would be nice to know the openCL computing power, however the limited scope applications of what you are benching will not give a good overall picture (or what openCL is primarily used for).
                            True!
                            Hope opencl can go faster than opengl in mesa (which is difficult I think...)
                            Opencl is really benefiting small budget pc's.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I don't think most of these results are relevant, because all they say is that at ludicrous framerates well beyond even 120hz monitors, the nvidia driver has more headroom.

                              I'd like to see Metro Last Light or something at like 1440p or 4k that could push these gpus below the refresh rates, so we get real world impact data.

                              I get that the trend is "catalyst is a slow POS" but I'm of the opinion that the combined fps of the radeon + fglrx drivers beats the singular nvidia one, so I'd still buy AMD parts just because they at least have a few people working on the FOSS drivers. Also, they don't brutalize the gpgpu capabilities of their cards.

                              These stats at least show if you want to game on Linux, pretty much any mid range gpu is already overkill.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X