Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon R9 290 Is Still A Wreck On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD Radeon R9 290 Is Still A Wreck On Linux

    Phoronix: AMD Radeon R9 290 Is Still A Wreck On Linux

    Several days ago I published my review of the AMD Radeon R9 290 on Linux. While the graphics card is hopeful and has received a fair amount of praise on the Windows side, I found the current Linux performance to be troubling and offered bad OpenGL performance. On Friday AMD released a new Catalyst 13.11 beta and there was hope the R9 290 series performance was corrected, but that is not the case: the performance still is ridiculous on Linux.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19371

  • #2
    Come on Michael !

    While the R290 ist not working at its best in Linux up to now, and even if an older card will work with similar peformance for a lower price, is this really what one would name a wreck ? I certainly remember the poulsbo and other hardware alike, which is really a wreck at best. Please choose your headlines a little more serious and a little less biased. I always get the opinion you are just angry like a kid because you got no review cards for free from amd, which just also won't happen in future when you act like this.

    Comment


    • #3
      Maybe this helps? Could someone try?
      http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTUxMDE

      Comment


      • #4
        It's sad but has been the way for a very long time, AMD do have people working on it but its not their main focus. Worringly due to the AMD chipsets in next gen consoles there focus may even further shift from Linux Desktops.


        Good luck servicing end users AMD with a cloud / terminal desktop windows 10 without any decent graphics hardware needed. Also according to the head of sony the last consoles are this generation after that its streaming .

        So if AMD lose windows and lose consoles in 8 - 10 years and have already declined to make any more enthusiast CPU's then what market do they have left? The market is fickle, apple could go intel only or nvidia or even Arm ?

        It baffles me how AMD have managed to stay alive so long

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by phill1978 View Post
          It's sad but has been the way for a very long time, AMD do have people working on it but its not their main focus. Worringly due to the AMD chipsets in next gen consoles there focus may even further shift from Linux Desktops.


          Good luck servicing end users AMD with a cloud / terminal desktop windows 10 without any decent graphics hardware needed. Also according to the head of sony the last consoles are this generation after that its streaming .

          So if AMD lose windows and lose consoles in 8 - 10 years and have already declined to make any more enthusiast CPU's then what market do they have left? The market is fickle, apple could go intel only or nvidia or even Arm ?

          It baffles me how AMD have managed to stay alive so long
          Your comment is very egocentric. The only reason they're supporting linux is probably for openCL based servers and to shut up users who say "I paid for this I demand this work blah blah blah." Otherwise they really don't care about linux until Valve decides its time to get them involved in a Steam Machine. Enthusiast CPUs don't bring in enough profits, it's the the mainstream CPUs that get them the money and that's what AMD sells best. AMD GPUs are pretty good on Windows. The consoles likely got AMD to hire a group of new developers, and those driver devs aren't going to be very busy because it's going to be the same chip for 5 or so years. It won't be AMD's job to micro-optimize the drivers because doing so could cause regressions in other games. It also isn't AMD's job to work on APIs. So they have it pretty easy.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
            Come on Michael !

            While the R290 ist not working at its best in Linux up to now, and even if an older card will work with similar peformance for a lower price, is this really what one would name a wreck
            If a new near top of the line card comes out from AMD, offers far less the performance it does in windows and gets beaten by a mid range card by Nvidia that costs substantially less and uses a lot less power, I would say a "wreck" is an accurate description. Right now the 290 runs with the GTX 760 when it should be beating the GTX 770 handily.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mike4 View Post
              Maybe this helps? Could someone try?
              http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTUxMDE
              I'd also like to see how R9 290 performs with latest Catalyst and 3.13 kernel.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Otherwise they really don't care about linux until Valve decides its time to get them involved in a Steam Machine.
                So, why should Valve even consider that, seeing that AMD doesn't care to deliver drivers for Linux that have at least somewhat the quality the competitors are able to deliver?
                I guess that AMD is making enough money that they don't have to care about something like that. Oh, wait ...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Harsh title.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    R9 290 vs gtx 680

                    At the moment the R9 290 sells at 350-400 in germany
                    Nvidia has no 7xx card at this price point. But it has the gtx 680 sold also at 350-400 .

                    The nvidia card is cooler, but has o 1GB RAM less, so it depends on what you prefer... a cool card, or a card that is a bit more future-proof in RAM.
                    While in the showed Benchmarks the GTX 680 is slightly ahead of the R9 290 most of the time, the R9 290 is better in OpenCL stuff.

                    So from this point of view the newer nvidia 7xx GTX wreck the R9 290, yes, but this comes with a higher price... if you go for the same price point its not that bad!
                    The problem for AMD is, that they are late. The R9 290 should have been out at the time the 680 GTX arrived. That would have been quite some competition!

                    Keep it going AMD! We nee a good nvidia competitioner!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                      At the moment the R9 290 sells at 350-400 in germany
                      Nvidia has no 7xx card at this price point. But it has the gtx 680 sold also at 350-400 .

                      The nvidia card is cooler, but has o 1GB RAM less, so it depends on what you prefer... a cool card, or a card that is a bit more future-proof in RAM.
                      While in the showed Benchmarks the GTX 680 is slightly ahead of the R9 290 most of the time, the R9 290 is better in OpenCL stuff.

                      So from this point of view the newer nvidia 7xx GTX wreck the R9 290, yes, but this comes with a higher price... if you go for the same price point its not that bad!
                      The problem for AMD is, that they are late. The R9 290 should have been out at the time the 680 GTX arrived. That would have been quite some competition!

                      Keep it going AMD! We nee a good nvidia competitioner!
                      sry. I did not see the 770 GTX with 4GB. So ignore the above and read the fixed comparison:

                      At the moment the R9 290 sells at 350-400 in germany
                      Nvidia has the 770 gtx with also 4GB RAM at the same price point.

                      The nvidia card is cooler, yes, but has the small disadvantage of directx 11 vs 11.2 and no MANTLE ord TrueAudio-competitor.
                      While in the showed Benchmarks the GTX 770 is slightly ahead of the R9 290 most but not all of the time, the R9 290 is better in OpenCL stuff.

                      So from this point of view the newer nvidia 7xx GTX wreck the R9 290 in gaming and temperature a bit, yes.
                      The problem for AMD is, that they are late. The R9 290 should have been out at the same time the 770 GTX arrived or better the 680 GTX. That would have been quite some competition!

                      Keep it going AMD! We nee a good nvidia competitioner!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        @tomtomme

                        What are you talking about?
                        7970 Ghz is winning against 680 more than loses.
                        290 wins against 780 more than loses preformance wise, costs less and power consumption under load isn't really much higher. The problem in Linux driver exist though and that is sad.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by sunweb View Post
                          290 wins against 780 more than loses preformance wise, costs less and power consumption under load isn't really much higher.
                          In windows only. In linux it is quite the opposite.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                            In windows only. In linux it is quite the opposite.
                            yeah, but when I look longer at those numbers - it also may be the benchmark-selection Michael is running. When you look at the unigine-heaven 4.0 results the 770 and the r290 are good contenders. Same for 2 GPU-test results and for 1 luxmark. But all those are no real world games. The only real game benchmark michael delivered here is OpenArena and Xonotic. Where are Prey and the other games he used to show? Source games would definitely show us much more meaningful results.... and yes michael, I know about the problems benchmarking those... however, a benchmark-selection with acually two games for 14-gaming-gpus is kind of wrecking phoronix... :/

                            see here
                            http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...gtx780ti&num=1
                            Last edited by tomtomme; 11-24-2013, 02:29 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I love how we measure penis size by frames per second in video games.

                              I've got engineering work to do using FEA/CFD and much more. OpenCL is a must. AMD Radeon 290 gives me that sweet spot of performance, price and longevity.

                              FreeBSD is the system powering the PS4. One could surmise the FreeBSD stack will eventually have some AMD Radeon love move over to FreeBSD proper.

                              Linux is getting more and more love every day from AMD with LLVM/Clang and company. Primary focus is OpenCL, at the present.

                              Anyway you slice it, 99.9999% of applications ARE NOT GAMES. Windows has that priority and AMD is doing very well.

                              Catalysis running optimized on Linux for applications I use to do work at the peak of performance works for me.

                              Steam driving OpenGL optimizations and more on Linux makes sense. They have a financial interest in it.

                              Inflammatory commentaries on how AMD hasn't resolved Linux to match Windows when the Linux community does very little for AMD's bottom line is illogical and irrational.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X