Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA GeForce 700 Series On Linux Run Excellent

Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce 700 Series On Linux Run Excellent

For the past week now I have been running Linux benchmarks on a lot of new NVIDIA GPUs, including the GeForce GTX 760, GTX 770, GTX 780 Ti, and GTX TITAN. These graphics cards with their Linux reviews coming out soon have been running top-notch with the binary Linux driver and running a heck of a lot faster than the slow-performing Radeon R9 290 with the current Catalyst Linux driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUyMTI

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    While I had high hopes for this AMD "Hawaii" GPU at $399, the Linux performance with the current Catalyst Linux driver is utter garbage.
    Isn't that a little harsh? It way not be as fast as under windows, but it was still the fastest or tied for fastest GPU in most of the tests in your review.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      Isn't that a little harsh? It way not be as fast as under windows, but it was still the fastest or tied for fastest GPU in most of the tests in your review.
      The GTX 680 which is from the previous generation beat it on most tests. Now imagine a GTX 780 which is the same/slightly less price....

Comment

I'm so getting one of these GPU's for my steambox

Compared with Valve's design for the steambox case, I feel it's going to be a really nice experience.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          I wouldn't say it was harsh at all. The 290 is getting beaten to hell in the above tests by a GK104 card let alone the GK110.

Unigine Valley

290 = 57.87 fps
          GTX 770 = 66.6 fps
          GTX 780Ti = 89.26 fps

Xonotic

290 = 135.95 fps
          GTX 770 = 177.16 fps
          GTX 780Ti = 207.39 fps

Now considering the GTX 770 retails for $70 less then the 290, consumes a lot less power and runs quieter and cooler that is just a plain old pimp slap beatdown.

Comment

A bit early to judge

As someone and Michael himself have pointed out in R9 290 review, the current Catalyst driver for Hawaii clearly has issue with OpenGL.

Giving that SteamOS and Steam Machines won't be public available until next year, AMD has quite a few months to make thing right.
            They would be silly to miss this big PC gaming booster.

Comment

Originally posted by lovenemesis View Post
              As someone and Michael himself have pointed out in R9 290 review, the current Catalyst driver for Hawaii clearly has issue with OpenGL.

Giving that SteamOS and Steam Machines won't be public available until next year, AMD has quite a few months to make thing right.
              They would be silly to miss this big PC gaming booster.
              I would say that AMD (and Valve) knew about this for a while and is why Valve chose to send out their demo machines exclusively with nVidia graphics. Also SteamOS will make it's debut fairly soon in a public manner so they don't have that long to wait. I would expect a ton of SteamBox configs are going to be home brewed affairs. Also openGL doesn't seem effected in Windows.

Comment

Awesome results

Those are awesome results and looking at it optimistically, they show how far my R9-290X can go sometime next year when AMD fixes their Linux driver.

Comment

Reminds me of this

Metro Last Light on Linux announcement
                  Nvidia owners should experience no problems with the game. 4A Games and AMD are working together on improving performance on Linux and are waiting for updated drivers from the graphics card manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
                    Reminds me of this

Metro Last Light on Linux announcement
                    Hopefully it comes sooner rather than later! I'd play Metro LL again if they improve it enough to match DX11; its an awesome game.

Also hopefully before Rome II Total War comes out!

Comment

I don't suppose you have a non-Ti 780 sitting around?

It's a little different card from the 780 Ti, cause it's got a couple of parts of the GPU disabled.

Comment

Now imagine what happens, when NVIDIA starts optimizing their Linux drivers for certain games like they do on Windows. They managed to get out +50% more performance in Metro:LL with the latest Windows driver that was just released a few days ago.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...px/70184/en-us

Performance Boost Increases performance by up to 50% for GeForce 400/500/600/700 series GPUs in several PC games vs. GeForce 331.65 WHQL-certified drivers. Results will vary depending on your GPU and system configuration. Here is one example of measured gains:

GeForce GTX 770/780/TITAN/780Ti:
                        Up to 50% in Metro: Last Light
                        Up to 26% in Crysis 3
                        Up to 18% in Battlefield 4

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                          Now imagine what happens, when NVIDIA starts optimizing their Linux drivers for certain games like they do on Windows. They managed to get out +50% more performance in Metro:LL with the latest Windows driver that was just released a few days ago.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...px/70184/en-us
                          It is marketing... NVIDIA-provided numbers... you should actually try it out and see the performance improvement by yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                            It is marketing... NVIDIA-provided numbers... you should actually try it out and see the performance improvement by yourself.
                            I think it was sli profile updates and 4k resolution, there was very poor sli scaling i.e. metro LL:
                            When running at 4K resolutions, SLI performance increases by as much as 50% in key titles like Metro: Last Light, Crysis 3, and Battlefield 4.

Comment

I want to use AMD cards for the open source drivers but when cheaper Nvidia cards offer better performance then I find it really hard to justify. At what point do you guys I think I can buy an AMD card and see acceptable performance with the open source drivers?

Comment

Working...
                              X