Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Linux Gaming Performance Mostly On Par With Windows 8.1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    In my experience Windows tends to have better performance consistency. On Linux I'll be getting 170fps one day and the next day I come back and I can barely hold 40fps. It's like, "What just happened here? Did a setting get flipped somewhere?"

    Comment


    • #42
      Originally posted by johnc View Post
      In my experience Windows tends to have better performance consistency. On Linux I'll be getting 170fps one day and the next day I come back and I can barely hold 40fps. It's like, "What just happened here? Did a setting get flipped somewhere?"
      If your distro's performance is that inconsistent I would consider a switch.

      Comment


      • #43
        Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
        There are only two markets where microsoft is usually better than Linux: desktop and office.
        And pretty much everything else, music, video etc.

        In any other market Linux just owns it
        Servers (LAMP), supercomputers.

        Comment


        • #44
          In the end, the best driver for video games are the binary of nVidia?
          Would you recommend buying a GeForce 770 then?
          AMD binaries seems not optimized for GNU/Linux...
          Thx

          Comment


          • #45
            Originally posted by psychok9 View Post
            AMD binaries seems not optimized for GNU/Linux...
            The latest Catalyst beta (V6) improves OpenGL performance quite massively. I'm playing Team Fortress 2 on Xubuntu 13.10 x86_64 with the latest beta on an HD6450 1GB DDR3 and my performance is pretty much same as was on Windows.

            Comment


            • #46
              Originally posted by psychok9 View Post
              In the end, the best driver for video games are the binary of nVidia?
              Would you recommend buying a GeForce 770 then?
              AMD binaries seems not optimized for GNU/Linux...
              Thx
              Since a month or two ago, Serious Same 3 runs as good on Linux as on Windows.
              Maybe even a bit better.

              W7 vs openSUSE 12.3 HD5750

              Comment


              • #47
                Originally posted by synaptix View Post
                The latest Catalyst beta (V6) improves OpenGL performance quite massively. I'm playing Team Fortress 2 on Xubuntu 13.10 x86_64 with the latest beta on an HD6450 1GB DDR3 and my performance is pretty much same as was on Windows.
                You mean 13.11 Beta (10/25/2013) ?

                Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
                Since a month or two ago, Serious Same 3 runs as good on Linux as on Windows.
                Maybe even a bit better.

                W7 vs openSUSE 12.3 HD5750
                have you tried other games like the ones on Steam?

                Comment


                • #48
                  Originally posted by psychok9 View Post

                  have you tried other games like the ones on Steam?
                  Yes, and they work fine, but not LFD2.

                  Half life, half life 2, portal. TF2

                  And doom 3 ( which I had to compile myself )

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X