Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does The AMD Radeon R9 290X Work On Linux?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Does The AMD Radeon R9 290X Work On Linux?

    Phoronix: Does The AMD Radeon R9 290X Work On Linux?

    AMD today has officially launched the Radeon R9 290X "Hawaii" graphics card that currently serves as their top of the line Rx 200 series GPU...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ5Mzg

  • #2
    This is the first real new card out of the new R7 and R9 series, but it still isn't too far away from GCN 1.0/1.1, so that radeonsi should be able to get simply extended like with r600g and HD 4000 -> HD 5000 I would guess.

    Comment


    • #3
      The AMD Radeon R9 290X have a really shitty cooler on the reference design so it is very loud and noisy.
      All partner manufacturers who made AMD Radeon R9 290X so far use the reference design.

      The price for the AMD Radeon R9 290X is competitively priced and its a good price compared to other graphics cards.

      Pros: Price and performance.
      Cons: Noisy cooler.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        The AMD Radeon R9 290X have a really shitty cooler on the reference design so it is very loud and noisy.
        All partner manufacturers who made AMD Radeon R9 290X so far use the reference design.

        The price for the AMD Radeon R9 290X is competitively priced and its a good price compared to other graphics cards.

        Pros: Price and performance.
        Cons: Noisy cooler.
        ComputerBase says the card is not noisy with the default BIOS mode. Of course that changes when you enable that "Uber Mode".

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          The AMD Radeon R9 290X have a really shitty cooler on the reference design so it is very loud and noisy.
          All partner manufacturers who made AMD Radeon R9 290X so far use the reference design.

          The price for the AMD Radeon R9 290X is competitively priced and its a good price compared to other graphics cards.

          Pros: Price and performance.
          Cons: Noisy cooler.
          but does it blend ?.... I mean work on linux?

          Comment


          • #6
            German computer news heise.de (quite serious) said that it performed really well, even against the biggest NV Titan, for about half the price. But that was for DX11, OpenGL was more bumpy. So the usual: ATI blob folks just seem to have problems with opengl. Grrrr.
            Fans get noisy in the mentioned "Über Modus" and power consumption is not really a certain figure yet.

            Comment


            • #7
              Micheal, if you acted more like a journalist rather than a tabloid that posts articles that little more than summaries of git commits they might be willing to send you hardware. As long as you stick to your link bating sorry excuses for articles and benchmarks no one is going to take you seriously enough to send hardware other than to sucker up to you to get reviews. Making comments like "AMD's marketing/PR department has again found it not important to cater to any Linux enthusiasts" just makes you sound petty and does nothing to help your case.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jonimus View Post
                Micheal, if you acted more like a journalist rather than a tabloid that posts articles that little more than summaries of git commits they might be willing to send you hardware. As long as you stick to your link bating sorry excuses for articles and benchmarks no one is going to take you seriously enough to send hardware other than to sucker up to you to get reviews. Making comments like "AMD's marketing/PR department has again found it not important to cater to any Linux enthusiasts" just makes you sound petty and does nothing to help your case.
                It's a lot easier to act like a journalist when given products to review.

                Of course Michael should point out that AMD does not provide him with any material! They already get a lot of publicity from his reviews; he is the only person benchmarking graphics card on Linux, most Linux gamers wouldn't even consider getting one of their cards without his data that shows how decent they are. I strongly support AMD but I sure as heck am not going to blindly purchase a card with no idea whatsoever of how it performs against a similarly priced NVidia GPU.

                I can't think of any way he could be nicer to AMD, he buys their product retail even though they don't support him at all, offer them the only publicity Linux users get, and he isn't even really bashing them! He is offering them pure profit, sending him a sample of some graphic cards is nothing compared to what goes into the salary of the marketing department and even their Linux drivers developers, yet they are pretty much wasting those salaries by not giving Linux users any incentive to purchase their cards.
                You on the other hand just sound like an unappreciative jerk. The content Michael creates for this website is very valuable and informative to myself and many others, and I couldn't thank him enough for all the efforts he puts into it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  This kind of bullcrap is why you can't like either gpu vendor. Nvidia hates open source and likes not letting you know how your grand graphics card actually works, and AMD are effectively throwing crumbs at the problem.

                  I guess our pocketbooks just aren't big enough to matter to them yet. It is too bad that Valve is suckering up to Nvidia, and that AMD are missing the steambox train entirely.

                  Oh well, I'll be gaming on Intel for a while. WTB Crystalwell desktop parts, and opengl 4.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    As far as I remember they sent stuff before but after some, well, internal structural changes some contact persons were probably not in the same place. At least that might be a good guess.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Has he tried to contact someone at AMD for this and got rejected? Maybe he was accidentally dropped from an spreadsheet...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by trougnouf View Post
                        It's a lot easier to act like a journalist when given products to review.

                        Of course Michael should point out that AMD does not provide him with any material! They already get a lot of publicity from his reviews; he is the only person benchmarking graphics card on Linux, most Linux gamers wouldn't even consider getting one of their cards without his data that shows how decent they are. I strongly support AMD but I sure as heck am not going to blindly purchase a card with no idea whatsoever of how it performs against a similarly priced NVidia GPU.

                        I can't think of any way he could be nicer to AMD, he buys their product retail even though they don't support him at all, offer them the only publicity Linux users get, and he isn't even really bashing them! He is offering them pure profit, sending him a sample of some graphic cards is nothing compared to what goes into the salary of the marketing department and even their Linux drivers developers, yet they are pretty much wasting those salaries by not giving Linux users any incentive to purchase their cards.
                        You on the other hand just sound like an unappreciative jerk. The content Michael creates for this website is very valuable and informative to myself and many others, and I couldn't thank him enough for all the efforts he puts into it.
                        First off I appologize for misspelling his name I have multiple Michael's in my family and the ea/ae dlops back and forth on a whim from relative to relative.

                        Sure AMD gets publicity from his reviews, but they would get a lot more if he actually bothered to even scratch the surface of why or how things preform the way they do in comparison to other cards. Instead he only posts graphs and single sentence blurbs because its quick and easy. If four out of five articles posted here weren't just link bate or link spam to past articles Michael may actually grab some credibility so AMD would trust to give him cards to review. Articles that do nothing but link to other articles or sites controlled by Michael, which of course are filled to the brim with ads, do nothing to make him look good.

                        He could be nicer to AMD by taking advantage of the automated regression testing he claims to have added to PTS. He could be nicer by not whining every time he doesn't get a review unit of a new product. He could also in general put more effort into his articles rather than posting 5 a day of link spam, he'd most likely get more hits himself and thus ad revenue too.

                        The linux market AMD and Nvidia Care about is the enterprise market, people who buy Quadro, Tesla, and FireGL/FirePro cards. Consumer desktop linux support is just a nice side effect of supporting Compute workloads and software like Seimans NX, Real3d, Maya and others. Gaming and fancy Compiz effects are nice side effects but they aren't where the money is to be made. That said the SteamOS stuff may change that but until then I don't expect AMD to spend a cent to support linux desktop users, I'm glad they do and will continue to buy their hardware because they do, but I know its a drop in the bucket.

                        Now I'm glad there is at least somewhere that takes the time to post these benchmarks and test the hardware but I would be an idiot to not demand more. Michael does nothing but half ass his articles and then complain when he isn't taken seriously. If he wants to be taken seriously by the Linux community and companies like AMD and Nvidia he needs actually put some effort into his articles and take pride in them, not just post 5 links to past articles and his anzwix crap. The ratio of links to sentances approaches one in far to many of the articles here and it makes it damn clear all Michael cares about is page rank and ad revenue, not the content of the post itself. Compare his posts to articles posted on lwn or tomshardware and see how many you can find that have more 7 out of 8 sentances linking to other articles on the site.

                        That said who wants to place bets this is Michael or someone paid by Michael to post this?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Jonimus View Post
                          First off I appologize for misspelling his name I have multiple Michael's in my family and the ea/ae dlops back and forth on a whim from relative to relative.

                          Sure AMD gets publicity from his reviews, but they would get a lot more if he actually bothered to even scratch the surface of why or how things preform the way they do in comparison to other cards. Instead he only posts graphs and single sentence blurbs because its quick and easy. If four out of five articles posted here weren't just link bate or link spam to past articles Michael may actually grab some credibility so AMD would trust to give him cards to review. Articles that do nothing but link to other articles or sites controlled by Michael, which of course are filled to the brim with ads, do nothing to make him look good.

                          He could be nicer to AMD by taking advantage of the automated regression testing he claims to have added to PTS. He could be nicer by not whining every time he doesn't get a review unit of a new product. He could also in general put more effort into his articles rather than posting 5 a day of link spam, he'd most likely get more hits himself and thus ad revenue too.

                          The linux market AMD and Nvidia Care about is the enterprise market, people who buy Quadro, Tesla, and FireGL/FirePro cards. Consumer desktop linux support is just a nice side effect of supporting Compute workloads and software like Seimans NX, Real3d, Maya and others. Gaming and fancy Compiz effects are nice side effects but they aren't where the money is to be made. That said the SteamOS stuff may change that but until then I don't expect AMD to spend a cent to support linux desktop users, I'm glad they do and will continue to buy their hardware because they do, but I know its a drop in the bucket.

                          Now I'm glad there is at least somewhere that takes the time to post these benchmarks and test the hardware but I would be an idiot to not demand more. Michael does nothing but half ass his articles and then complain when he isn't taken seriously. If he wants to be taken seriously by the Linux community and companies like AMD and Nvidia he needs actually put some effort into his articles and take pride in them, not just post 5 links to past articles and his anzwix crap. The ratio of links to sentances approaches one in far to many of the articles here and it makes it damn clear all Michael cares about is page rank and ad revenue, not the content of the post itself. Compare his posts to articles posted on lwn or tomshardware and see how many you can find that have more 7 out of 8 sentances linking to other articles on the site.

                          That said who wants to place bets this is Michael or someone paid by Michael to post this?
                          It's already been covered numerous times why I need to write more articles than less, if you want the site to still be around. You can look at H-Online, Linux Devices, Kernel Trap, and numerous other Linux sites, and now TuxMachines is the most recent collapse I've heard of, why the Linux market is different and that I'm doing the best I can with my resources.
                          Michael Larabel
                          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            FFS guys don't turn this into a bash Mike thread. If you don't like his site stop reading it. Is it really that hard to read headline -> skip articles you aren't interested in -> move along, and still get someone covering Linux hardware in depth like this?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Jonimus View Post
                              First off I appologize for misspelling his name I have multiple Michael's in my family and the ea/ae dlops back and forth on a whim from relative to relative.

                              Sure AMD gets publicity from his reviews, but they would get a lot more if he actually bothered to even scratch the surface of why or how things preform the way they do in comparison to other cards. Instead he only posts graphs and single sentence blurbs because its quick and easy. If four out of five articles posted here weren't just link bate or link spam to past articles Michael may actually grab some credibility so AMD would trust to give him cards to review. Articles that do nothing but link to other articles or sites controlled by Michael, which of course are filled to the brim with ads, do nothing to make him look good.

                              He could be nicer to AMD by taking advantage of the automated regression testing he claims to have added to PTS. He could be nicer by not whining every time he doesn't get a review unit of a new product. He could also in general put more effort into his articles rather than posting 5 a day of link spam, he'd most likely get more hits himself and thus ad revenue too.

                              The linux market AMD and Nvidia Care about is the enterprise market, people who buy Quadro, Tesla, and FireGL/FirePro cards. Consumer desktop linux support is just a nice side effect of supporting Compute workloads and software like Seimans NX, Real3d, Maya and others. Gaming and fancy Compiz effects are nice side effects but they aren't where the money is to be made. That said the SteamOS stuff may change that but until then I don't expect AMD to spend a cent to support linux desktop users, I'm glad they do and will continue to buy their hardware because they do, but I know its a drop in the bucket.

                              Now I'm glad there is at least somewhere that takes the time to post these benchmarks and test the hardware but I would be an idiot to not demand more. Michael does nothing but half ass his articles and then complain when he isn't taken seriously. If he wants to be taken seriously by the Linux community and companies like AMD and Nvidia he needs actually put some effort into his articles and take pride in them, not just post 5 links to past articles and his anzwix crap. The ratio of links to sentances approaches one in far to many of the articles here and it makes it damn clear all Michael cares about is page rank and ad revenue, not the content of the post itself. Compare his posts to articles posted on lwn or tomshardware and see how many you can find that have more 7 out of 8 sentances linking to other articles on the site.

                              That said who wants to place bets this is Michael or someone paid by Michael to post this?
                              I guess we just have different expectations, I was really impressed when I realized that Michael was pretty much the only source of content on this website. I wouldn't compare Phoronix to something as huge as Tomshardware (I haven't been on that website much but even the smaller french website pcinpact has a whole bunch of authors) but it still fills all my need for Linux/PC/gaming news.

                              This isn't a throwaway account (you can google me), if this was someone paid by Michael I would either be friend with him/post here often or post a bunch of biased crap all over the internet.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X