AMD Catalyst Beats NVIDIA To Linux 3.12 Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grogan View Post
    My good guess is (but I don't have time to try it yet) because I have "supported processor vendors" selected, and have only Intel enabled. When I enable AMD processor support (or disable the supported processor vendors option), the GART IOMMU config option is available and set, and then the #ifdef in kcl_iommu.c would include the amd_iommu.h. I am probably expected to have that set. It has not been a problem until this though (I've been configuring my kernels that way for a long time). I don't actually NEED that, I have no hardware that needs that 32 bit DMA access.
    That didn't solve the problem. There was a time when the iommu was actually needed for fglrx, but it hasn't been in some time. The reason I don't like it is, it wastes 64 Mb of RAM for the bounce buffer (iommu emulated by software on Intel) and I don't need otherwise it.

My toolchain is otherwise OK. I compile a lot of stuff (everything I use) so I doubt my system is broken. Catalyst 13.4 with kernel 3.8.11 (laziness... I liked that kernel so I stuck with it a long time) builds without issue.

Using gcc 4.8.1

My system is Slackware(ish) and I'm using the slackware packaging script in the catalyst archive (--buildpkg Slackware). Perhaps there's something wrong with the build environment with that path.

Strange that it's working for others. I guess I'll just have to figure out a workaround.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
      It works fine in Ubuntu with 3.12-rc7.
      Not working in openSUSE with Kernel 3.12rc7!

Comment

work perfectly with Ubuntu 13.10 and kernel 3.12 rc7

Comment

This just isn't well enough tested if it doesn't work against perfectly valid system configurations. I even went through and reconfigured my whole kernel from scratch, in case there was something not getting defined when migrating an old config. I don't have trouble compiling other third party modules against that kernel source tree either.

I couldn't figure it out, so I just made the "ATI_API_CALL KCL_IOMMU_CheckInfo" function in kcl_iommu.c return 0, which is what it would be doing for me anyway with no iommu support.

The driver is happy with that.

Comment

OK, I'm bad. I figured out the iommu thing. What it was looking for was HARDWARE iommu support (and Intel processors don't actually have that "hardware"). So the Intel IOMMU is a software one that uses DMA remapping (DMAR). I had to redo the kernel today (3.12 released) so I enabled that, and sure enough, the module build doesn't barf on kcl_iommu.c. Silly, for I've never used that, but it made the fglrx build happy having the right defines.

(I still had to #include <linux/seq_file.h> *shrug*. But I'll bet that's some other kernel config option that I don't care about that's caused that)

I dislike having kernel config options forced on me.

Comment

Working...
            X