Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Will Release Steam Machines With Radeon GPUs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Valve Will Release Steam Machines With Radeon GPUs

    Phoronix: Valve Will Release Steam Machines With Radeon GPUs

    While the Steam Machines prototype consoles are running with Intel CPUs and NVIDIA GPUs, Valve has said in 2014 they will release some Steam Machines that are powered by AMD Radeon graphics...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ4Mjc

  • #2
    Would be a boon to Linux gaming if AMD was interested. If AMD improved their drivers to parity with Windows, added Mantle, and Mantle was really close to as "bare metal" as we all are hoping. Kaveri would be a good fit. Kaveri + a similarly powered graphics card in AMD Dual Graphics mode would be even more so. I am very pessimistic of any of that happening, unless the Steam boxes have proven to the market they have a place, I don't think AMD will risk resources until then.

    Comment


    • #3
      AMD will be forced now to improve their drivers.

      Comment


      • #4
        AMD needs to hire 30 more people for their Linux driver development THIS FUCKING DAY!
        Last edited by blackout23; 10-10-2013, 10:39 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BreezeDM View Post
          Would be a boon to Linux gaming if AMD was interested. If AMD improved their drivers to parity with Windows, added Mantle, and Mantle was really close to as "bare metal" as we all are hoping. Kaveri would be a good fit. Kaveri + a similarly powered graphics card in AMD Dual Graphics mode would be even more so. I am very pessimistic of any of that happening, unless the Steam boxes have proven to the market they have a place, I don't think AMD will risk resources until then.
          Looks like there will be no need for Mantle (on Non-Windows platforms): http://www.dsogaming.com/news/amd-ai...he-bottleneck/

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by BreezeDM View Post
            Would be a boon to Linux gaming if AMD was interested. If AMD improved their drivers to parity with Windows, added Mantle, and Mantle was really close to as "bare metal" as we all are hoping. Kaveri would be a good fit. Kaveri + a similarly powered graphics card in AMD Dual Graphics mode would be even more so. I am very pessimistic of any of that happening, unless the Steam boxes have proven to the market they have a place, I don't think AMD will risk resources until then.
            I think the biggest boon for AMD would be Wayland. Some of the most irritating bugs seams to more related to X than anything else.

            It already has been mentioned that Valve has worked with all vendors. Otherwise it would not be an open platform

            Comment


            • #7
              What will be interesting though is whether Valve ends up shipping the AMD Catalyst or open-source Radeon Gallium3D driver stack by default.
              nice joke...as if the Open source drivers will catch up with the closed source fglrx/Catalyst in the next 2 years...maybe if AMD threw all of their driver people at it and abandon their closed source driver, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

              Comment


              • #8
                Unfortunate. But then again if AMD manages to provide decent drivers, there's no reason to exclude them ...
                Having bought a 7870, I wouldn't recommend buying one though, even on Win 8 the card is not very stable doing "2D" desktop (3D games are fine though). So they suck.

                On the "low" end for the streaming only boxes, I would prefer using Haswell over the AMD APUs. Same reason, basically.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by log0 View Post
                  Looks like there will be no need for Mantle (on Non-Windows platforms): http://www.dsogaming.com/news/amd-ai...he-bottleneck/
                  Good link, from the tweets looks like they have someone good working, or at the very least motivated.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I too, hope that this will lead to Catalyst being fixed.

                    But I won't be touching these Steamboxes without very very very very favorable reviews. Been burned with AMD graphics (once at work and once on my personal PC), not going to fall for it again.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                      AMD needs to hire 30 more people for their Linux driver development THIS FUCKING DAY!
                      Yes! and its a well know fact you can speedup a pregnancy by using more women :S

                      (would be nice though).

                      Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
                      I too, hope that this will lead to Catalyst being fixed.

                      But I won't be touching these Steamboxes without very very very very favorable reviews. Been burned with AMD graphics (once at work and once on my personal PC), not going to fall for it again.
                      ... What he said.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If AMD improves their drivers for Linux, I could buy a graphics card from them. Meanwhile, I'll stick with NVIDIA.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I love Valve for this... I know that Stallman will never consider SteamBox to be open, but this makes it a dream of openness compared to other consoles. Plus it means that maybe AMD's linux drivers will not fall behind, considering 2 of my 3 PC have AMD inside I'm happy about it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            AMD has the chance here to become more important. Valve always said they prefer the open drivers by Intel, and AMD has good ones.

                            Yes! and its a well know fact you can speedup a pregnancy by using more women :S
                            If you aim for many children, more women are the way to go. See my point? Truth lies somewhere inbetween.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Laser View Post
                              AMD has the chance here to become more important. Valve always said they prefer the open drivers by Intel, and AMD has good ones.

                              If you aim for many children, more women are the way to go. See my point? Truth lies somewhere inbetween.
                              I do... we want more half working features from AMD... quantity above quality all the way!

                              (Just kidding, point taken)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X