Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Will Release Steam Machines With Radeon GPUs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
    I do... we want more half working features from AMD... quantity above quality all the way!

    (Just kidding, point taken)
    The open drivers work exceptionally well for older cards. Doesn't help the 7XXX owners, but if you had told someone five years ago that you'd today be able to watch full screen hardware accelerated flash HD videos and play Valve's Source Games via native Steam on an integrated AMD graphics card with open source drivers today, most users wouldn't have believed.

    The situation is not perfect, but the improvements are definitely there.
    Last edited by Laser; 10-10-2013, 12:51 PM.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Laser View Post
      The open drivers work exceptionally well for older cards. Doesn't help the 7XXX owners, but if you had told someone five years ago that you'd today be able to watch full screen hardware accelerated flash HD videos and play Valve's Source Games via native Steam on an integrated AMD graphics card with open source drivers today, most users wouldn't have believed.

      The situation is not perfect, but the improvements are definitely there.
      Post of the day!
      2013 was a great year for Linux.

      Comment


      • #18
        Well basically a SteamBox is just like a system without os or Linux preinstalled. I guess 99% will install Win on such a box, then it would be an OriginBox as well - for the 1 or 2 who like to play BF4

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Well basically a SteamBox is just like a system without os or Linux preinstalled. I guess 99% will install Win on such a box, then it would be an OriginBox as well - for the 1 or 2 who like to play BF4
          Don't count the number of people knowing what an OS is too high...

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by log0 View Post
            Looks like there will be no need for Mantle (on Non-Windows platforms): http://www.dsogaming.com/news/amd-ai...he-bottleneck/
            There will be a need for Mantle on Linux if Mantle actually catches on. People really don't want to port their engines to two different APIs. Mantle for Linux would make everyone's life easier. And besides, adding vendor extensions to your GL implementation isn't really a solution for anything.

            Comment


            • #21
              Oh YEAH !!!
              Can't wait to build my 1st mini-ITX with a Kaveri APU !!!
              ....and AsRock have already the right board with very nice specs !!!


              I'm sure Valve will use the blob and not OSS driver....AMD have a bunch of months to get their s++t together...i bet that there's been also a good cooperation between AMD and Valve as for video drivers, the thing is that was "to far" behind Nvidia and so, these 300 prototypes are Nvidia-only.


              This is also very good news to who want to buy/build (sub-)500 USD SteamBoxes with a very decent performance.

              Comment


              • #22
                Hopefully they'll take advantage of their Mantle API and HSA.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by log0 View Post
                  Looks like there will be no need for Mantle (on Non-Windows platforms): http://www.dsogaming.com/news/amd-ai...he-bottleneck/
                  If they expose Mantle-like shortcuts as OpenGL extensions, probability is high it will be only available in Catalyst. Damn.

                  Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                  I'm sure Valve will use the blob and not OSS driver....AMD have a bunch of months to get their s++t together...i bet that there's been also a good cooperation between AMD and Valve as for video drivers, the thing is that was "to far" behind Nvidia and so, these 300 prototypes are Nvidia-only.
                  You already have a blobicious fest with nvidia. Why happiness? They will more likely to put their s++t in opendriver within "bunch of months" than with catalyst.
                  Last edited by brosis; 10-10-2013, 02:50 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by brosis View Post
                    If they expose Mantle-like shortcuts as OpenGL extensions, probability is high it will be only available in Catalyst. Damn.


                    You already have a blobicious fest with nvidia. Why happiness? They will more likely to put their s++t in opendriver within "bunch of months" than with catalyst.
                    My happiness is not because of blob use...but because of confirmation of Steamboxes with AMD hardware is a target....i really like AMD hardware (at least APUs...never owned a video card from ATI) both for gaming performance, overall less power drain and affordable price solution.

                    My point about the use blobs is that they simply have to use (and improve) them.
                    There is simply no time to fully improve OSS drivers (even if we assume that there is not patents in way to do so ) till SB launch.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      There will be a need for Mantle on Linux if Mantle actually catches on. People really don't want to port their engines to two different APIs. Mantle for Linux would make everyone's life easier. And besides, adding vendor extensions to your GL implementation isn't really a solution for anything.
                      Mantle has absolutely no advantage. It's an invention for the consoles (where AMD has the monopol atm) which is added with some Marketing bullshit (support from Battlefield Devs) to find a reason to use it on the desktop too. I really hope that no other company support the "open" Mantle API, because it's just another standard that nobody needs, especially on the Desktop side, where we have OpenGL as cross-plattform API already.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Pass the Mantle on down the line

                        Until you try to load Ubuntu 14.04 or perhaps, just perhaps 16.04 and then you're stuck with the opensource driver which will quickly enlighten you that you can't play your Steam games anymore.

                        "Sorry your hardware isn't supported by the latest Catalyst"

                        ) tootz

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by theghost View Post
                          Mantle has absolutely no advantage. It's an invention for the consoles (where AMD has the monopol atm) which is added with some Marketing bullshit (support from Battlefield Devs) to find a reason to use it on the desktop too. I really hope that no other company support the "open" Mantle API, because it's just another standard that nobody needs, especially on the Desktop side, where we have OpenGL as cross-plattform API already.
                          Have you seen OpenGL lately? Most convoluted standard I've ever seen.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                            There will be a need for Mantle on Linux if Mantle actually catches on. People really don't want to port their engines to two different APIs. Mantle for Linux would make everyone's life easier. And besides, adding vendor extensions to your GL implementation isn't really a solution for anything.
                            Hmm, just in case you didn't know, Mantle is vendor specific and gpu architecture specific... so you will have to do the extra work anyways.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by squirrl View Post
                              Until you try to load Ubuntu 14.04 or perhaps, just perhaps 16.04 and then you're stuck with the opensource driver which will quickly enlighten you that you can't play your Steam games anymore.

                              "Sorry your hardware isn't supported by the latest Catalyst"

                              ) tootz
                              You do realize they have what they call Legacy driver? My radeon 3200, which is not supported by the new Catalyst drivers runs great on that.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
                                Yes! and its a well know fact you can speedup a pregnancy by using more women :S

                                (would be nice though).



                                ... What he said.
                                I laffed. I lose?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X