Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD's Mantle Graphics API For Linux?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD's Mantle Graphics API For Linux?

    Phoronix: AMD's Mantle Graphics API For Linux?

    This week at AMD's Hawaii event where they announced their new high-end graphics processors, they also announced Mantle. AMD's Mantle is a new graphics API that looks to take on OpenGL and Microsoft's Direct3D as a new high-performance graphics rendering API...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ3MDU

  • #2
    Waiting for our resident API god elanthis to write a several-page post on Mantle.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by curaga View Post
      Waiting for our resident API god elanthis to write a several-page post on Mantle.
      Funny, I was thinking roughly the same:
      Wondering why he has not showed up so far.

      Really, I'd be interested in what he thinks about it.

      Comment


      • #4
        ... but there's no mention of GLSL compatibility for Linux fans
        What??? So GLSL is for Linux fans only now?

        Comment


        • #5
          Well said. We will have to wait till December to see how much improvements are with Mantle in BF4. If its a lot, then AMD can expect to sell more cards to BF4 players. If its not a huge performance increase, it will die in Windows land before they even consider using it in Linux.

          Comment


          • #6
            The world needs a good OpenGL competitor that provides vendor neutral, OS neutral, device neutral access to 3D graphics hardware.

            This doesn't sound like it's it:

            - Anandtech says this is derived from Microsoft's Xbox One APIs. That doesn't speak well for neutrality, ideal licensing, and rallying the non-MS world.
            - No mention of cooperation or collaboration with any of the other important players such as Apple, Google, Sony, even Mozilla, and the Linux guys. No mention of Linux support.

            I don't see an official website. The official slides headline "Uniting both worlds". If both worlds mean Microsoft Xbox consoles and Microsoft Windows PCs/tablets, this isn't what I want.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BreezeDM View Post
              Well said. We will have to wait till December to see how much improvements are with Mantle in BF4. If its a lot, then AMD can expect to sell more cards to BF4 players. If its not a huge performance increase, it will die in Windows land before they even consider using it in Linux.
              AMD has both the Wii U, Xbox One and PS4 graphics card, so if they offer Mantle on both of thows platforms as well then they have a winner in it self as games that wants to be on a console has to support it any way.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Waiting for our resident API god elanthis to write a several-page post on Mantle.

                I support this.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                  AMD has both the Wii U, Xbox One and PS4 graphics card, so if they offer Mantle on both of thows platforms as well then they have a winner in it self as games that wants to be on a console has to support it any way.
                  Nvidia currently has 52,38% share against 33,08% from AMD and 14,18% from intel (steam survey). Games developers can't simply ignore that. We also need to keep in mind if whether or not Nvidia and Intel will support Mantle.

                  At this point all I can say is wait and see. But I believe that yes, AMD has an angle on this new tech, I just hope it doesn't screw thing up for us in the end.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Nvidia and Intel couldn't support this if they wanted to, it's tied to AMD hardware. This is basically Glide 2013 Edition. I expect it to be just as long lived.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                      AMD has both the Wii U, Xbox One and PS4 graphics card, so if they offer Mantle on both of thows platforms as well then they have a winner in it self as games that wants to be on a console has to support it any way.
                      Even its 100% compatible with all of those, it still is a lot of work to support one more API in Windows. I don't see Game Developers bothering unless there is big performance increase.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BreezeDM View Post
                        Even its 100% compatible with all of those, it still is a lot of work to support one more API in Windows. I don't see Game Developers bothering unless there is big performance increase.
                        They already have to bother if they develop for the consoles. They need to write Mantle for PS4 & co, and they need GL or Direct3D for Windows.

                        This only allows them to take their uber-optimised console code and run it on windows with minimal effort.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          For the Steam Boxes, this could be something cool, specially if you want to squeeze out more performance as the hardware gets older and make it as long live as consoles.

                          I see a big war coming up, I don't think Nvidia also wants to lose a lot of the Steambox market.

                          Consoles will have 1 less advantage. I think SteamOS/Linux will probably get good support and benefit from the war.

                          However, yes this is like going back to the 3DFX Glide days (Voodoo! ).

                          Unless this becomes part of an open standard, I don't see why Nvidia or Intel will get on board. In fact if a more vendor neutral standard appears, it might soon kill the Ati solution.
                          Last edited by madjr; 09-27-2013, 11:08 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                            They already have to bother if they develop for the consoles. They need to write Mantle for PS4 & co, and they need GL or Direct3D for Windows.

                            This only allows them to take their uber-optimised console code and run it on windows with minimal effort.
                            Supporting Mantle on PS4/XB1 is different then supporting it on PC. For games that will benefit the most, games with high res textures and big game engines, they won't commit the resources for testing, bug fixes, compiling if only 33% of the market uses AMD/ATI cards and only 15% total use GCN cards unless there are some impressive performance gains. Without the PC they have to support 2 hardware configurations that specs wont change. Supporting Mantle on the PC would take additional resources, and if I were a game developer supporting Mantle would not be on my top 10 of things I would want to spend resources on for the game I am creating unless it was at least 20% frame rate improvement on a mid-range card or allowed much higher quality settings.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by madjr View Post
                              Unless this becomes part of an open standard, I don't see why Nvidia or Intel will get on board. In fact if a more vendor neutral standard appears, it might soon kill the Ati solution.
                              After the presentation AMD mentioned that it was open, just didn't mention which under which license.

                              http://www.techspot.com/news/54134-a...rformance.html

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X