Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Announces The Radeon R9 290X

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Just curious, why did you think there was going to be a Linux announcement ?
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7366/a...s-gpu-showcase

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Just curious, why did you think there was going to be a Linux announcement ?
      because apparently it was said http://www.anandtech.com/show/7366/a...s-gpu-showcase

      Comment


      • #13
        We’re told that tomorrow’s announcement will make Linux users/developers especially excited
        Huh... interesting. I'll see if I can find out whether that's something we said or "just some random guy in the crowd"

        Thanks !

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Huh... interesting. I'll see if I can find out whether that's something we said or "just some random guy in the crowd"

          Thanks !
          HotHardware also said the same: http://hothardware.com/News/AMD-Hint...ort-In-Hawaii/

          It was apparently announced by Raja Koduri who returned to AMD few months ago from Apple and is a high level person at AMD.

          Comment


          • #15
            Wow. AMD struck a huge blow against Valve.

            "A low level high performance console style graphics API for PCs. It's being built by AMD. It's cross platform, but Windows initially. Battlefield 4 is the pilot project & first user of Mantle." (AnandTech)


            Yup... Windows initially. And I'm sure "initially" means the first five years. Already implemented in BF4. Good luck finding any performance gains in SteamOS.

            And once again an entire press conference where AMD is completely immune to anything even tangentially related to Linux.

            I keep telling you guys... these people are not on our side. I don't care how many docs they throw over the wall.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by johnc View Post
              Wow. AMD struck a huge blow against Valve.

              "A low level high performance console style graphics API for PCs. It's being built by AMD. It's cross platform, but Windows initially. Battlefield 4 is the pilot project & first user of Mantle." (AnandTech)


              Yup... Windows initially. And I'm sure "initially" means the first five years. Already implemented in BF4. Good luck finding any performance gains in SteamOS.

              And once again an entire press conference where AMD is completely immune to anything even tangentially related to Linux.

              I keep telling you guys... these people are not on our side. I don't care how many docs they throw over the wall.
              Probably gonna announce an origin/amd/windows powered console where the extra savings from the amd hardware will be eaten up by the cost of windows. Every game will have windows live DLC. Xbox controller is the only option. Its gonna have 80 cores at 10,000ghz but perform like an i5. And all of the "origyboxz" consoles will eventually become a giant malware botnet but dont worry itll feature EA games exclusives, so youll always get the latest dude bro shooterz.

              Comment


              • #17
                Radeon R9 290X
                I really hope that's just a codename and not the final model name/number. Is that supposed to be like RadeonHD 9000 with another arbitrary number tacked on the end?

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  I really hope that's just a codename and not the final model name/number. Is that supposed to be like RadeonHD 9000 with another arbitrary number tacked on the end?
                  Look back at old naming standards and you will sadly notice that this "we just randomly make up new naming systems every now and then" has tradition. This is one of the symptoms you have if your company feeds to many marketing bullshitters.

                  I have mixed feelings about Mantel. Its like AMD, after trying to play nice and push standards for so long, now wants its own "CUDA" like monopole. Even if it makes a lot of sense for the consoles where programming closer to the hardware has the best effort/performance ratio.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Mantle is open though, so it isn't a proprietary standard like CUDA. Actually, look up the definition of mantle and you'll be able to put 1 and 1 together to understand what exactly mantle is. You can think of Mantle as a mantle to graphics APIs like OpenGL, like DirectX which is sort of a mantle to Direct3D and all the other Microsoft Direct technologies. Although Mantle will only support GCN hardware initially, nothing is stopping NVIDIA from adding their graphics card to support Mantle as well.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                      Mantle is open though, so it isn't a proprietary standard like CUDA. Actually, look up the definition of mantle and you'll be able to put 1 and 1 together to understand what exactly mantle is. You can think of Mantle as a mantle to graphics APIs like OpenGL, like DirectX which is sort of a mantle to Direct3D and all the other Microsoft Direct technologies. Although Mantle will only support GCN hardware initially, nothing is stopping NVIDIA from adding their graphics card to support Mantle as well.
                      Source...?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X