Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would A Kickstarter Open-Source GPU Work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by timothyja View Post
    Um, you realise you need to start somewhere right? If an open gpu is successfull a cpu could surely follow. GNU\Linux started of as the GNU open source tools in the 80's followed up with the Linux kernel in the 90's.
    You do know that developing the CPU first would be a much better idea, has then you can develop a system-on-a-chip, from which you can start working on specialist solution for if prove popular enough to warrant further development then the SOC itself.

    Comment


    • #22
      A fully open source FPGA video card which can be used to do some real world tasks? That would be amazing, unfortunately I fear you will not reach the funding you need.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

      Comment


      • #23
        It's _open_ hardware.

        I'm really surprised that you guys don't feel like supporting an open hardware project. Open hardware, in general, is in it's infancy; it needs support. Good things can come out of it, just like with (free) open-source software.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by iniudan View Post
          You do know that developing the CPU first would be a much better idea, has then you can develop a system-on-a-chip, from which you can start working on specialist solution for if prove popular enough to warrant further development then the SOC itself.
          Maybe if you are starting from scratch but again it apears the company already has a product on which they want to expand.

          Comment


          • #25
            If I worked at a bank, and a team of seasoned computer hardware engineers and software developers, all came by to ask for a loan to make a discrete GPU, even willing to stake their houses on the projects, I'd say flat out "No".
            It's a saturated and stagnated market. Maybe even shrinking... Besides, there's massive cpu parallelism just around the corner, no?

            Comment


            • #26
              Anything that might upset the duopoly sounds gr8 to me

              The performance increments in graphics cards have pretty much been at a standstill IMHO for the last several years.

              AMD and NVIDIA also seem to be colluding to set prices, too; at least that what the charts over at Tom's hardware seem to be saying to me.

              So anything that might make the graphics market work like an actual market -- sounds awesome.

              Given a decent OSS solution; I'll take it over proprietary stuff every time.

              Color me sick of....
              - constant "up-selling"
              - price fixing
              - teensy-tiny performance increments year-over-year
              - no real innovation since the years of 3DFx, matrox, etc... i.e. back when 3d graphics was an actual market

              Comment


              • #27
                i will buy it as a educational tool (kernel module development, linux graphics stack, graphic hardware)

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by c117152 View Post
                  If I worked at a bank, and a team of seasoned computer hardware engineers and software developers, all came by to ask for a loan to make a discrete GPU, even willing to stake their houses on the projects, I'd say flat out "No".
                  It's a saturated and stagnated market. Maybe even shrinking... Besides, there's massive cpu parallelism just around the corner, no?
                  Well thats exactly why crowdfunding has become so successful. Banks, Game Publishers, etc have no interest in development of ideas or outside the box thinking to the point of ignoring anything other than what fits their preconcived notion of what will make them money. The success of Kickstarter is a testament to the idea that people are willing to support ideas traditional financers are not. So I guess you are saying they are taking the right approach by considering Kickstarter.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    I don't know if Kickstarter is popular enough to get the amount of money needed to develop a top end GPU. Not to mention that they would need an awesome team. I'm thinking at least several dozen million.

                    Can kickstarter scale that high?

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      I don't know if Kickstarter is popular enough to get the amount of money needed to develop a top end GPU. Not to mention that they would need an awesome team.
                      Well we really need more details on what they are aiming to do to make any worthwhile comments. However I would assume they would definatly not be aiming for a top end GPU.

                      Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      I'm thinking at least several dozen million. Can kickstarter scale that high?
                      Sure it can take a look at the most successful projects page: http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/most-funded

                      Many projects have gone into the millions with some notable ones:
                      OUYA Console - $8,596,474
                      Pebble ewatch - $10,266,845

                      I wouldnt expect this project to reach such high numbers but I guess it depends on what they are going to offer. Probably the closest project I can think of to this one is the Parallella: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...r-for-everyone and that reached $898,921

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X