Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15-Way Open-Source Intel/AMD/NVIDIA GPU Comparison

Phoronix: 15-Way Open-Source Intel/AMD/NVIDIA GPU Comparison

When running Fedora 19 with its updated open-source Linux graphics drivers, 15 different Intel, AMD Radeon, and NVIDIA GeForce GPUs were compared when looking at the open-source Linux OpenGL performance. The tested graphics processors span from the Intel HD Graphics 4600 "Haswell" integrated graphics to the AMD Radeon HD 7950 "Southern Islands" graphics card to the vintage Radeon X1800XL.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Which hardware and driver combination have the least amount of quirks, glitches, crashes and other stability issues?

Comment

Originally posted by boog View Post
      Which hardware and driver combination have the least amount of quirks, glitches, crashes and other stability issues?
      Likely intel. Radeon at this point is pretty close but still has room for improvement. Haha I remember the days when AMD/ATI was the worst brand to go for, to the point that something like compiz would just give you a white screen. Today the radeon drivers are almost good enough to replace Catalyst.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Likely intel. Radeon at this point is pretty close but still has room for improvement. Haha I remember the days when AMD/ATI was the worst brand to go for, to the point that something like compiz would just give you a white screen.
        I've been running a 5850 for over a year without a single stability problem. Personally I feel my 2500k graphics colours look slightly washed out compared to that, but stability wise both of them equally "just work". If UVD works on the 6870 then it's probably the best card for a desktop pc, assuming you want to do some gaming.

Today the radeon drivers are almost good enough to replace Catalyst.
        I'd like to see the 6870s catalyst FPS because the numbers it's pushing seems to be fairly high.
        Last edited by ownagefool; 01 July 2013, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Likely intel. Radeon at this point is pretty close but still has room for improvement. Haha I remember the days when AMD/ATI was the worst brand to go for, to the point that something like compiz would just give you a white screen. Today the radeon drivers are almost good enough to replace Catalyst.
          Except for HD 7xxx cards, apparently. Which kinda shows how difficult it is to right drivers i think. If the architecture is so different from one card to the next that your existing drivers barely function it's no wonder the open-source Nvidia drivers (with now help from Nvidia themselves) are so much worse than the others.

I really can't wait till the open AMD/Intel drivers are beating the proprietary ones on almost all fronts... hopefully then other corporations will start viewing open-source as a better catalyst (pun intended) to more stable and cross-platform drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
            Except for HD 7xxx cards, apparently. Which kinda shows how difficult it is to right drivers i think. If the architecture is so different from one card to the next that your existing drivers barely function it's no wonder the open-source Nvidia drivers (with now help from Nvidia themselves) are so much worse than the others.

I really can't wait till the open AMD/Intel drivers are beating the proprietary ones on almost all fronts... hopefully then other corporations will start viewing open-source as a better catalyst (pun intended) to more stable and cross-platform drivers.
            Nouveau drivers do not get ANY help from Nvidia. Its FLOSS driver for Tegra that get some support (limited to 2D/power up).

Comment

Intel is very stable if you stick to the versions Intel recommends (eg, use Ubuntu). If you deviate, intel starts to be far more unstable than radeon.

I can only guess that radeon gets testing from a wider base, whereas everyone at the Intel OSTC is forced to upgrade in lockstep :P

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Intel is very stable if you stick to the versions Intel recommends (eg, use Ubuntu). If you deviate, intel starts to be far more unstable than radeon.

I can only guess that radeon gets testing from a wider base, whereas everyone at the Intel OSTC is forced to upgrade in lockstep :P
                Using Intel on arch right now and it's fine.

Comment

How suprising, I thought intel was on the top as they embraced free software. By these benchmarks it seems to be more beneficial to purchase an AMD CPU and use its internal graphic processor rather than an Intel CPU, or am I mistaken?

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                    Nouveau drivers do not get ANY help from Nvidia. Its FLOSS driver for Tegra that get some support (limited to 2D/power up).
                    My bad, that was a typo. It should have said "(with no help from nvidia)"... not "(with now help...)".
                    I've heard about Nvidia supporting FOSS drivers for Tegra... though idk how long that will last, since they seem to be more and more interested in ARM.

Comment

Working...
                    X