Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planned Features For X.Org 7.4, 7.5

Phoronix: Planned Features For X.Org 7.4, 7.5

Last month at the X Developer Summit in Cambridge, Eric Anholt, Adam Jackson, and Daniel Stone had talked about the future of X.Org releases for the next year. Over the weekend, Daniel Stone had updated the XDS 2007 Notes at X.org with the latest plans for X.Org 7.5.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Glx 1.4?

So that would be server-side support for pbuffers, would it? If so, then that would be very welcome! My R200 graphics card supports GLX 1.4 on the client side, but since the server currently only supports GLX 1.2 then that is all that Wine allows itself to use.

Comment

How about just buying new hw when you need more features - your card is DX8 only...

Comment

How about just buying new hw when you need more features - your card is DX8 only...
        it would be better to have drivers that provide all features of what i already have. otherwise it's just a waste of money.

Comment

Probably something to do with the drivers...

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          The R200 is still the best-supported graphics hardware with Free drivers. The radeonhd driver and r300_dri might just change that in time, but not yet...

Besides, my point is that with the Xorg server stuck at GLX 1.2, not even the GLX 1.4 features of my existing card are being used properly.

Comment

I guess you could get a cheap used R300 card more easy...

Comment

Actually, I already have two...

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              I guess you could get a cheap used R300 card more easy...
              A Radeon 9550 and a Radeon 9800, but the r300_dri.so isn't yet as capable as the r200_dri.so so I'm sticking with my Radeon 9200 for now .

Comment

But you could use fglrx if needed too. r200 only works with fglrx until Xorg 7.1 (like Debian Etch). There are 3d apps that really require GLSL shaders and other things to work properly and these things are currently not working with the free drivers. Or just go for NV

Comment

I am using Fedora and Xorg 7.2

fglrx is simply not an option for R200 any more. And besides, fglrx also taints the kernel which is unacceptable on this machine.

Comment

That's the ideological approach to the problem, not the one which would give you a working result in short time. Really funny those ppl who restrict himself to get into GPL heaven

Comment

Working...
                    X