Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 313.26 Driver Supports The GeForce GTX TITAN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NVIDIA 313.26 Driver Supports The GeForce GTX TITAN

    Phoronix: NVIDIA 313.26 Driver Supports The GeForce GTX TITAN

    NVIDIA released the 313.26 proprietary Linux graphics driver on Tuesday...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMxOTQ

  • #2
    That's what I call driver support. There aren't that much games for Linux, yet they support their newest 1300 USD graphics card on Linux right from the beginning.
    Last edited by blackout23; 03-06-2013, 11:02 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Well, in that case Intel is even better because they are making the driver even before there is hardware for it (Haswell)

      Comment


      • #4
        Another driver which doesn't work with Steam, 32-bit support broken

        Comment


        • #5
          Don't know, what your problem is.

          Code:
          Operating System Version:
              Debian GNU/Linux 7.0 (wheezy) (64 bit)
              Kernel Name:  Linux
              Kernel Version:  3.9.0-rc1.towo.1
              X Server Vendor:  The X.Org Foundation
              X Server Release:  11400000
              X Window Manager:  Xfwm4
              Steam Runtime Version:  steam-runtime-release-i386_2013-02-27
              
          Video Card:
              Driver:  NVIDIA Corporation GeForce GTX 650 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
          
              Driver Version:  4.3.0 NVIDIA 313.26
              Desktop Color Depth: 24 bits per pixel
              Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
              VendorID:  0x10de
              DeviceID:  0x11c6
              Number of Monitors:  1
              Number of Logical Video Cards:  1
              Primary Display Resolution:  1920 x 1080
              Desktop Resolution: 1920 x 1080
              Primary Display Size: 20,04" x 11,26"  (22,95" diag)
                                                      50,9cm x 28,6cm  (58,3cm diag)
              Primary Bus: PCI Express 16x
              Primary VRAM: 2048 MB
              Supported MSAA Modes:  2x 4x 8x 16x

          Comment


          • #6
            Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit, i7-3930K, 64 GB RAM, GTX 680 4GB.

            I really want to get off the 304 branch, it has two annoying bugs: occasional "red screens" and compiz redraw issues (a single window becomes white until I resize it to force redraw).

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by efikkan View Post
              Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit, i7-3930K, 64 GB RAM, GTX 680 4GB.

              I really want to get off the 304 branch, it has two annoying bugs: occasional "red screens" and compiz redraw issues (a single window becomes white until I resize it to force redraw).
              I don't get it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Yeah. I'm using 313.18 since forever on Arch with 3.8.2 Kernel now without issues.

                Well Intel might support hardware before it is released but NVIDIA drivers simply work.
                I have heard that even with HD4000 glitches are not uncommon.

                Let's just agree that AMD drivers suck.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                  yet they support their newest 1300 USD graphics card on Linux right from the beginning.
                  Just like AMD does with their proprietary drivers, and Intel does with their OSS ones.

                  NVidia drivers are currently the best available on linux, but it's not because they support their hardware faster than their competition.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    Just like AMD does with their proprietary drivers,
                    AMD has a bit of a reputation to be sluggish on releasing blobs when a new family comes out.

                    BTW, all the 313 series actually supported Titan. 313.26 were just the first ones where they listed as such.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by efikkan View Post
                      compiz redraw issues (a single window becomes white until I resize it to force redraw).
                      Sounds like a compiz bug rather than a card bug, unless it happens in other compositors. Compiz, due to its low community engagement, has had a pretty stagnant codebase that would accumulate cruft.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by zanny View Post
                        Sounds like a compiz bug rather than a card bug, unless it happens in other compositors. Compiz, due to its low community engagement, has had a pretty stagnant codebase that would accumulate cruft.
                        Yes probably, Compiz is sadly a rather poorly maintained project considering it's importance.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by efikkan View Post
                          Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit, i7-3930K, 64 GB RAM, GTX 680 4GB.

                          I really want to get off the 304 branch, it has two annoying bugs: occasional "red screens" and compiz redraw issues (a single window becomes white until I resize it to force redraw).
                          It's not exactly an nvidia bug and switching to a different (nvidia) driver series will likely not get rid of them (white windows). nvidia driver behaves slightly differently to radeon, intel, etc, so nvidia driver exhibits the problem, but the bug is in Compiz (and i would know because i was involved in the (primary) bug report for it.)

                          the 'white windows nvidia bug' is very well-known / documented on lp:compiz (and has existed for a long time). That being said - it no longer exists / has been fixed in the latest/current compiz code-base. (but obviously doesn't appear to have been backported to older Ubuntu releases).

                          The simple way to workaround windows from turning white (if you can't use the latest compiz) is to disable 'minimize/unminimize' animations. (set them to 'none' in CCSM). After that, you shouldn't get white-windows at all, unless you are experiencing a different bug, entirely (which it doesn't sound like).

                          cheerz

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ninez View Post
                            It's not exactly an nvidia bug and switching to a different (nvidia) driver series will likely not get rid of them (white windows). nvidia driver behaves slightly differently to radeon, intel, etc, so nvidia driver exhibits the problem, but the bug is in Compiz (and i would know because i was involved in the (primary) bug report for it.)

                            the 'white windows nvidia bug' is very well-known / documented on lp:compiz (and has existed for a long time). That being said - it no longer exists / has been fixed in the latest/current compiz code-base. (but obviously doesn't appear to have been backported to older Ubuntu releases).

                            The simple way to workaround windows from turning white (if you can't use the latest compiz) is to disable 'minimize/unminimize' animations. (set them to 'none' in CCSM). After that, you shouldn't get white-windows at all, unless you are experiencing a different bug, entirely (which it doesn't sound like).
                            Thank you, I've disabled it and hope the problems will be gone. I work a lot with OpenGL, so these problems are very annoying. I'm still curious about the red screen, but that problem is more rare.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by efikkan View Post
                              Thank you, I've disabled it and hope the problems will be gone. I work a lot with OpenGL, so these problems are very annoying. I'm still curious about the red screen, but that problem is more rare.
                              It should be easy to test whether the 'white windows' are gone.

                              1. minimize a window

                              2. use scale, but select a different window.

                              3. unminimize the window from step 1 (from the dock, not using scale!)

                              ...if it appears normally, then you shouldn't be affected by that bug. (if minimize/unminimize animations is set to 'none'.

                              I assume you are using Unity, but if not (and you are just using compiz / not interested in Unity) you could probably use Compiz from bzr (or a PPA that packages it). Compiz has improved in a lot of areas over the last few months, and i am not really sure what has actually been backported (or what can be, since i know some changes can't be ported to older branches of compiz due to architectural changes). It might be worth looking into if you are doing a lot with OpenGL - since there _should_ be some decent performance improvements, among other things...

                              I myself do not use Ubuntu, but i was participating for quite some time in compiz development. ~ mostly bug-testing/reporting ~ which worked out well, since every bug i was involved with is gone - i even helped get a cmake bug fixed that affected compiz, before the problem hit ubuntu (I'm on Arch so most of the time am using a new software stack than Ubuntu).

                              the red screen, i have no idea about - but if you want to have it fixed, i would recommend trying to determine the cause. ie:

                              - does it only happen in Unity? (a possibility)
                              - does it happen in 'vanilla compiz'?
                              - does any (nvidia) driver version make a noticable difference?

                              you may find this gives a nice 'hint' for where the problem may be, you could then go on lp:compiz (launchpad) report the bug and give the devs something to start with.

                              ..and you are very welcome

                              cheerz
                              Last edited by ninez; 03-07-2013, 10:24 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X