Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 313.26 Driver Supports The GeForce GTX TITAN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by efikkan View Post
    compiz redraw issues (a single window becomes white until I resize it to force redraw).
    Sounds like a compiz bug rather than a card bug, unless it happens in other compositors. Compiz, due to its low community engagement, has had a pretty stagnant codebase that would accumulate cruft.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by zanny View Post
      Sounds like a compiz bug rather than a card bug, unless it happens in other compositors. Compiz, due to its low community engagement, has had a pretty stagnant codebase that would accumulate cruft.
      Yes probably, Compiz is sadly a rather poorly maintained project considering it's importance.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by efikkan View Post
        Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit, i7-3930K, 64 GB RAM, GTX 680 4GB.

        I really want to get off the 304 branch, it has two annoying bugs: occasional "red screens" and compiz redraw issues (a single window becomes white until I resize it to force redraw).
        It's not exactly an nvidia bug and switching to a different (nvidia) driver series will likely not get rid of them (white windows). nvidia driver behaves slightly differently to radeon, intel, etc, so nvidia driver exhibits the problem, but the bug is in Compiz (and i would know because i was involved in the (primary) bug report for it.)

        the 'white windows nvidia bug' is very well-known / documented on lp:compiz (and has existed for a long time). That being said - it no longer exists / has been fixed in the latest/current compiz code-base. (but obviously doesn't appear to have been backported to older Ubuntu releases).

        The simple way to workaround windows from turning white (if you can't use the latest compiz) is to disable 'minimize/unminimize' animations. (set them to 'none' in CCSM). After that, you shouldn't get white-windows at all, unless you are experiencing a different bug, entirely (which it doesn't sound like).

        cheerz

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by ninez View Post
          It's not exactly an nvidia bug and switching to a different (nvidia) driver series will likely not get rid of them (white windows). nvidia driver behaves slightly differently to radeon, intel, etc, so nvidia driver exhibits the problem, but the bug is in Compiz (and i would know because i was involved in the (primary) bug report for it.)

          the 'white windows nvidia bug' is very well-known / documented on lp:compiz (and has existed for a long time). That being said - it no longer exists / has been fixed in the latest/current compiz code-base. (but obviously doesn't appear to have been backported to older Ubuntu releases).

          The simple way to workaround windows from turning white (if you can't use the latest compiz) is to disable 'minimize/unminimize' animations. (set them to 'none' in CCSM). After that, you shouldn't get white-windows at all, unless you are experiencing a different bug, entirely (which it doesn't sound like).
          Thank you, I've disabled it and hope the problems will be gone. I work a lot with OpenGL, so these problems are very annoying. I'm still curious about the red screen, but that problem is more rare.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by efikkan View Post
            Thank you, I've disabled it and hope the problems will be gone. I work a lot with OpenGL, so these problems are very annoying. I'm still curious about the red screen, but that problem is more rare.
            It should be easy to test whether the 'white windows' are gone.

            1. minimize a window

            2. use scale, but select a different window.

            3. unminimize the window from step 1 (from the dock, not using scale!)

            ...if it appears normally, then you shouldn't be affected by that bug. (if minimize/unminimize animations is set to 'none'.

            I assume you are using Unity, but if not (and you are just using compiz / not interested in Unity) you could probably use Compiz from bzr (or a PPA that packages it). Compiz has improved in a lot of areas over the last few months, and i am not really sure what has actually been backported (or what can be, since i know some changes can't be ported to older branches of compiz due to architectural changes). It might be worth looking into if you are doing a lot with OpenGL - since there _should_ be some decent performance improvements, among other things...

            I myself do not use Ubuntu, but i was participating for quite some time in compiz development. ~ mostly bug-testing/reporting ~ which worked out well, since every bug i was involved with is gone - i even helped get a cmake bug fixed that affected compiz, before the problem hit ubuntu (I'm on Arch so most of the time am using a new software stack than Ubuntu).

            the red screen, i have no idea about - but if you want to have it fixed, i would recommend trying to determine the cause. ie:

            - does it only happen in Unity? (a possibility)
            - does it happen in 'vanilla compiz'?
            - does any (nvidia) driver version make a noticable difference?

            you may find this gives a nice 'hint' for where the problem may be, you could then go on lp:compiz (launchpad) report the bug and give the devs something to start with.

            ..and you are very welcome

            cheerz
            Last edited by ninez; 03-07-2013, 10:24 AM.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by ninez View Post
              It should be easy to test whether the 'white windows' are gone.

              1. minimize a window

              2. use scale, but select a different window.

              3. unminimize the window from step 1 (from the dock, not using scale!)

              ...if it appears normally, then you shouldn't be affected by that bug. (if minimize/unminimize animations is set to 'none'.
              It appears to be a different problem, enabling or disabling animations in ccsm does not appear to affect my problems.
              Originally posted by ninez View Post
              I assume you are using Unity, but if not (and you are just using compiz / not interested in Unity) you could probably use Compiz from bzr (or a PPA that packages it). Compiz has improved in a lot of areas over the last few months, and i am not really sure what has actually been backported (or what can be, since i know some changes can't be ported to older branches of compiz due to architectural changes). It might be worth looking into if you are doing a lot with OpenGL - since there _should_ be some decent performance improvements, among other things...

              I myself do not use Ubuntu, but i was participating for quite some time in compiz development. ~ mostly bug-testing/reporting ~ which worked out well, since every bug i was involved with is gone - i even helped get a cmake bug fixed that affected compiz, before the problem hit ubuntu (I'm on Arch so most of the time am using a new software stack than Ubuntu).

              the red screen, i have no idea about - but if you want to have it fixed, i would recommend trying to determine the cause. ie:

              - does it only happen in Unity? (a possibility)
              - does it happen in 'vanilla compiz'?
              - does any (nvidia) driver version make a noticable difference?

              you may find this gives a nice 'hint' for where the problem may be, you could then go on lp:compiz (launchpad) report the bug and give the devs something to start with.

              ..and you are very welcome

              cheerz
              I'm using old gnome-panel, not Unity, so that might explain why few people experience it. I have yet to discover it on computers running with Fglrx.

              When white windows occur, it generally occur for the next ten or so windows I switch to or open, and then it disappears and might not occur for the next days or hours. I tried to take some screenshots of the problem, and while editing the pictures it actually occurred again (see picture 3):


              Firefox (with dual screen setup, notice the windows shadow is white on the second screen):


              Image Viewer:


              GIMP Export:

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by efikkan View Post
                It appears to be a different problem, enabling or disabling animations in ccsm does not appear to affect my problems.
                I'm using old gnome-panel, not Unity, so that might explain why few people experience it. I have yet to discover it on computers running with Fglrx.

                When white windows occur, it generally occur for the next ten or so windows I switch to or open, and then it disappears and might not occur for the next days or hours. I tried to take some screenshots of the problem, and while editing the pictures it actually occurred again
                it does look to be similar. but yes it is probably/may not be the same bug. ~ however, you are correct, you wouldn't see it on fglrx, since it is only on nVidia H/W where white (or black) blank windows appear.

                since you are not using Unity, have you thought about building compiz from source? ~ ie: you could see if the latest code has this issue or not. I am thinking that the master branch doesn't have this issue, so you may want to check;

                https://code.launchpad.net/~compiz-team/compiz/0.9.9

                that is what i would do, in your shoes anyway.

                if it is a different bug, you could report it - but you need to figure out a very predictable / reproducible way to expose the bug + provide logs, etc.

                Comment


                • #18
                  I would kill for this card. I don't play any games but have fun working wtih CUDA in my spare time. The only reason I hold off is that I'm not yet CUDA profficient enough to make full use of my 2x GTX 465s.

                  One day....

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by ninez View Post
                    it does look to be similar. but yes it is probably/may not be the same bug. ~ however, you are correct, you wouldn't see it on fglrx, since it is only on nVidia H/W where white (or black) blank windows appear.

                    since you are not using Unity, have you thought about building compiz from source? ~ ie: you could see if the latest code has this issue or not. I am thinking that the master branch doesn't have this issue, so you may want to check;

                    https://code.launchpad.net/~compiz-team/compiz/0.9.9

                    that is what i would do, in your shoes anyway.

                    if it is a different bug, you could report it - but you need to figure out a very predictable / reproducible way to expose the bug + provide logs, etc.
                    I might find some time to test it, since it annoys me so much. But I've not been able to reproduce it at will, not even by stressing the computer. But when it happens it happens for the next windows as well, across any application, even OpenGL windows. Sometimes it happens for the whole window including decoration and shadow, sometimes only for the menu, and sometimes just for the OpenGL frame buffer.

                    Are there any kind of logging you recommend enabling?

                    I prefer to stick with the LTS branch of Ubuntu, since new releases generally introduce new OpenGL issues in some way, and it always annoys me.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by Tgui View Post
                      I would kill for this card. I don't play any games but have fun working wtih CUDA in my spare time. The only reason I hold off is that I'm not yet CUDA profficient enough to make full use of my 2x GTX 465s.

                      One day....
                      If you at some point need more CUDA performance, you should consider multiple GTX 670 cards, which offers much more performance per $. Kepler GPUs offers greater improvements in terms of CUDA performance than overall graphics performance.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X