Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Linux OpenGL Driver Remains Slower Than Windows

Phoronix: Intel Linux OpenGL Driver Remains Slower Than Windows

Recently there was the NVIDIA graphics comparison under Windows 7 and Linux providing new data at how the cross-platform NVIDIA driver is comparing between Ubuntu 12.10, Kubuntu 12.10, and Windows 7 Pro. Aside from Ubuntu's Unity desktop with Compiz impairing the performance, the results were competitive. Next up now is a look at Intel Sandy Bridge and Intel Ivy Bridge graphics when comparing the performance of the three operating systems.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The nexuiz result is quite surprising. Are you using S3TC with mesa driver?

Comment

You should upgrade the test

For Unigine Heaven there is just the Windows 7 numbers since the Intel Linux support for this more demanding game engine isn't in great shape on Mesa.
      I'm running UH3.0 without significant problems on 9.0 branch (last week) and mesa master. Yes, I need to run on medium shaders and no tesselation because of missing features, but it's far from unusable.

Comment

Nice to hear, however it is not really surprising that linux is often slower than win - the driver does not share code between the os. That's differnt to fglrx/nvidia binary drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by orome View Post
          I'm running UH3.0 without significant problems on 9.0 branch (last week) and mesa master. Yes, I need to run on medium shaders and no tesselation because of missing features, but it's far from unusable.
          I'm also curious what the issue is. I run Unigine Heaven rather frequently and it works for me. Note that you need to install the drirc that comes with Mesa: cp src/mesa/drivers/dri/common/drirc /etc/drirc # or ~/.drirc. (The intent is that distributions should do this for you...) This tells Mesa to work around a number of bugs in the Unigine demos: their use of extensions without asking for them, and their broken use of the GL_ARB_blend_func_extended extension. Without it, I believe you get cloudy grey rendering.

There were a few Mesa bugs relating to Heaven as well, but those should have already been fixed in the version that Michael tested.
          Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
          Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by enrico.tagliavini View Post
            The nexuiz result is quite surprising. Are you using S3TC with mesa driver?
            From http://openbenchmarking.org/system/1...012.10/glxinfo
            OpenGL extensions:
            <snip>
            GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine,

Comment

The latest Windows driver for Intel is 15.​28.​0.​2792. Is there any reason You are not using this one?

Comment

I really wish they would work more on performance than features for Ubuntu.

Liam of www.gamingonlinux.com and www.linux4today.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
                  This tells Mesa to work around a number of bugs in the Unigine demos: their use of extensions without asking for them, and their broken use of the GL_ARB_blend_func_extended extension. Without it, I believe you get cloudy grey rendering.

There were a few Mesa bugs relating to Heaven as well, but those should have already been fixed in the version that Michael tested.
                  Didn't they fix the bugs in Heaven? Or only some?

Certainly app workarounds in the gl lib are just wrong.

Comment

Nice progress Intel Looks like the performance gap between Windows and Linux is closing for these drivers.

Comment

Working...
                    X