Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 12.8 Driver For Linux: Not Exciting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by Agross View Post
    I tried it last night on a Trinity laptop ( A10 + discrete 7670M ) and there is no noticeable difference in power consumption. The laptop is still very warm in basic usage ( compared to windows ).
    Have you tried disabling the discrete chip? Your A10 is no higher wattage than my A8-3500 (35 watt), and mine sits most of the time with the CPU fan OFF. Fan goes on only when ambient is extra warm or when I start working it.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
      All I want is working suspend and resume on AMD Fusion
      Didn't try 12.8 yet, but it always worked on my AMD Fusion E-350 based notebook.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        Works 100% on my Llano....

        Oh wait, that's because I'm using the superior free radeon driver and not some crappy blob.
        '''Beware the dog'''

        I'm sure you get a ban because of your hate speech LOL

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          wine is a hack, not *expected* to work... ever.
          That is because you are using an ATI card. I have a geforce on my desktop that 'just works'. I can play TF2, SupCom, Civ4 at 1080p full details ( well, minus a few shaders and such ) , online multi-player without any kind of problems.

          On the other hand, the Trinity laptop can barely play TF2 with inferior image quality, SupCom has horrible artefacts and Civ4 crashes randomly.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
            Have you tried disabling the discrete chip? Your A10 is no higher wattage than my A8-3500 (35 watt), and mine sits most of the time with the CPU fan OFF. Fan goes on only when ambient is extra warm or when I start working it.
            Yes, I did select 'use only APU' from Catalyst ( or something like that ) and the temperature does drop significantly, but it is a far cry from windows where, after hours of browsing and 1080p movies, heat is barely noticeable. I don't think the all the APU thermal throttling and power-saving features are used in the 2.6 and 3.2 kernels that I used.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
              So?
              So, if all the devs working on the Linux frontend of the blob were to switch to development of the OSS drivers,
              the OSS team would gain little workforce while we would be left with no decently performing make-shift solution at all.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                So, if all the devs working on the Linux frontend of the blob were to switch to development of the OSS drivers,
                the OSS team would gain little workforce while we would be left with no decently performing make-shift solution at all.
                Not that I'm advocating such a move, but an increase of 100%-1000% does not amount to "gaining little workforce".

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by Agross View Post
                  That is because you are using an ATI card. I have a geforce on my desktop that 'just works'. I can play TF2, SupCom, Civ4 at 1080p full details ( well, minus a few shaders and such ) , online multi-player without any kind of problems.

                  On the other hand, the Trinity laptop can barely play TF2 with inferior image quality, SupCom has horrible artefacts and Civ4 crashes randomly.
                  To be fair, from what I have heard this is mostly due to the fact that for the longest time the Wine developers themselves ignored other vendors and implemented a lot of Nvidia specific hacks. Which is biting them in the long run...

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                    Not that I'm advocating such a move, but an increase of 100%-1000% does not amount to "gaining little workforce".
                    I doubth more people work on porting Catalyst to linux then there are working on the redeon driver. If I was to dream though they would port the radeon driver to Mac and Win and things would start to help. But that woun't happen before it reaches paraity and all parts of the specs are opened up.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      It's not exciting perhaps but it does work quite well for me (unlike earlier versions). Suspend/resume works now, the "Unsupported hardware" watermark that I briefly encountered with 12.6 is gone again and the performance problems with vblank seems to be fixed.

                      I've had two segfaults since updating (colord and compiz) but I'm not sure if that's related to fglrx.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X