Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Imagination Releases New PowerVR GPUs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Imagination Releases New PowerVR GPUs

    Phoronix: Imagination Releases New PowerVR GPUs

    While Imagination Technologies has yet to change their stance on allowing open-source Linux graphics drivers or improving the quality of their closed-source Linux driver IP, they released two new GPUs today in the PowerVR line-up...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEzNjA

  • #2
    And with that kind of computing prowess, we’re talking about reaching levels of performance that approach the HPC market.
    Then they should better realize that the HPC market is dominated by Linux and change their driver policies.

    Comment


    • #3
      Imagination Tech is even worse than VIA or Nvidia. I make sure not to buy any of this stuff unless they open up sepcs and drivers. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. And I don't want the latter.
      Shame also on TI for still using these things in their boards.

      Comment


      • #4
        with the limaproject and the freedreno I belive it was, there is now hope. The allwinner soc is being powerd by a mali 400GPU.

        I forsee that by years end, we might get a few raspberry pi-like boards around the same price point making people happy. Or so I hope. Then some media boxes with said boards or derivatives and with things like XBMC running on them in the next year pushing the opensource GPU soc's more. At that point, Broadcom/PowerVR either join or loose. Or so I hope anyway.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by oliver View Post
          with the limaproject and the freedreno I belive it was, there is now hope. The allwinner soc is being powerd by a mali 400GPU.

          I forsee that by years end, we might get a few raspberry pi-like boards around the same price point making people happy. Or so I hope. Then some media boxes with said boards or derivatives and with things like XBMC running on them in the next year pushing the opensource GPU soc's more. At that point, Broadcom/PowerVR either join or loose. Or so I hope anyway.
          The LIMA/MALI project is a nice thing indeed but won't help an single percent to the ImgTec chip situation. Moreover all these projects are driven by reverse engineering which is still a painful thing to do.
          Well, unless "deciders" on the "decider floors" decide to use mali chips instead of ImgTec because of the existance of a free as in freedom driver. But somehow I am not so sure about that.

          Comment


          • #6
            Fuck Imagination Technologies!

            Fuck Imagination Technologies!

            It's too bad Texas Instruments uses PowerVR in their OMAP system-on-a-chipset solutions.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Adarion View Post
              Well, unless "deciders" on the "decider floors" decide to use mali chips instead of ImgTec because of the existance of a free as in freedom driver. But somehow I am not so sure about that.
              Not unheard of. It's probably more a question of when someone (china) will do that.

              Comment


              • #8
                Well, indeed. A lot of Chinese users just use unlicensed copies of everything, but also a good bunch wants to be in charge and have control over their machines and not be influenced by closed "western" technology. (Though most is made at the end in China anyway...). Well, there is still hope that some people will choose a model with free drivers and express the why of their decision.
                Maybe one (hopefully not so distant) day it will be totally common to deliver hardware per default with a free driver and specs for interested devs.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  Phoronix: Imagination Releases New PowerVR GPUs

                  While Imagination Technologies has yet to change their stance on allowing open-source Linux graphics drivers or improving the quality of their closed-source Linux driver IP, they released two new GPUs today in the PowerVR line-up...

                  http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEzNjA
                  And with that, Nvidia is pushed a further two years behind. I really hope that Nvidia starts getting less design wins. Their SoC's are consistently crap.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    They lie about horsepower/watt. Vivante for example has almost 20Gflops/80mWatt@65nm or Tflop/Watt@28nm. And yes they need to change their driver policy, or else we wont bay their GPU, when we get rid of Android (for a standard Linux), from our Quad-Core Smartphones and Tablets.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I really do not understand why you are so furious about Imagination.

                      While I am all for open source drivers, Imagination does not write a linux driver for its chips neither releases any drivers to the public. Instead, it is their customers who release drivers for their SoCs.

                      Of course I would like it if they released an open source driver, or any kind of driver.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by pattakosn View Post
                        I really do not understand why you are so furious about Imagination.

                        While I am all for open source drivers, Imagination does not write a linux driver for its chips neither releases any drivers to the public. Instead, it is their customers who release drivers for their SoCs.

                        Of course I would like it if they released an open source driver, or any kind of driver.
                        Imagination is the company blocking release of any drivers. I assume they license their own internal drivers to their customers, and then allow those customers to make minor changes on top. If it's somehow different then that, they are still the company releasing all the docs under NDA and agreements to never open that information up.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Imagination sell intellectual property (ie their hardware designs) to customers like intel, apple, TI, etc. It is their customers who release drivers for their products. How do you know that it is not their customers who block drivers or spec releases ? Even if Intel and Imagination are willing to be more open, there may be agreements with other imagination's customers blocking it.

                          Given the fact that Imagination 's android driver is pretty good on a lot of devices (smartphones and tablets from so many vendors) and it is only the netbooks from Intel that the driver is crap, maybe this outcry against imagination is a little too harsh.

                          On the other hand the linux driver apparently is so bad that your comments (ie all of them) are fair!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            pattakosn, ask the developers that tried to get a driver written.
                            Word is that imgtec changes the chips even within a series from customer to customer. So e.g. you reverse engineered chip type, say, A-1 that is uses on a Vendor-X board. Now, you see that this chip is used on a Vendor-Y board. Wohoo? No. It likely won't work with chip A-1 on Vendor-Y board because something is different. Great, isn't it?
                            Furthermore, yes, there are surely NDAs all over the place. But since none of any of the firms hold a 100% of Imgtec they can't do much about it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                              pattakosn, ask the developers that tried to get a driver written.
                              Word is that imgtec changes the chips even within a series from customer to customer. So e.g. you reverse engineered chip type, say, A-1 that is uses on a Vendor-X board. Now, you see that this chip is used on a Vendor-Y board. Wohoo? No. It likely won't work with chip A-1 on Vendor-Y board because something is different. Great, isn't it?
                              I would expect this to be similar for all soc-based graphics - Imagination aren't selling a whole chip design, but the graphics is integrated into the whole system so have different display controllers, memory management, cache, CPUs etc.
                              I wouldn't then be surprised if, from the driver standpoint, there is a large difference between the 'same' graphics core on a TI OMAP compared to samsung exynos, although both claim to be an sgx540.

                              This may be different to ARM and their mali, as they effectively are selling the chip design as a whole.

                              I also wouldn't compare android drivers to their windows, there is a big difference between the cut-down Opengl-es (on android) compared to full-blown directx (Though it could be argued that, at the performance/power point imagination are aiming at, many of the features of directx10+ are a bit of a waste, and extra complexity for the driver)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X