Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

50% slower than AMD! Intel FAIL again with the HD4000 graphic hardware.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Dont you think that oss drivers are bit pointless when they do not provide h264 / vc1 accelleration? It does not matter much if via vdpau or vaapi, but it should be there.
    I can understand nvidia's stance: oss drivers are just like a bootstrap until you can install proper drivers. But ATI's approach is not so clear cut. They support people willing to bang their heads against the walls writing drivers that will never catch up with Catalyst anyway. To what end, I don't know...

Comment

Some of our customers wanted open source drivers; others want the performance and features that can only come from proprietary drivers, so we are doing both.

The only surprise was that the open source drivers turned out to be more attractive to embedded customers than we first expected, partly for ease of porting to other OSes/CPUs and partly because of the ability to support *extremely* long product lifetimes.

Comment

Do you remember the GREEN monster is Nvidia trying to Monopole the Graphic card market.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
          - it synced properly. if you give me special details, i can test on weekend where it does not sync. Had Linux mint 12 installed (I think it was gnome shell 3, unsure) and urt/openarena testings
          Thanks, but the bug is already reported and confirmed in the Intel Q&A thread. It's in the bugtracker since the initial driver release in 2011 and it's still here a year later.

It typically manifests as constant tearing in the top ~100 pixels of the desktop and affects all compositors (tested with Mutter, Kwin and Compiz 0.8 and 0.9). The only workaround is to force full screen redraws (there's an option in Compiz 0.9 and an environment variable in Mutter), suffering the corresponding increase in CPU/GPU load.

- fpsed 60 on 1600/900 maxed details on urt, at all time, on all maps. 9800 gt was equally fast. If you ask, id say hd3000 is very powerful igp.
          URT = Unreal Tournament or Urban Terror?

- I wouldnt take powervr/g500 chips as intel chips, very probably they outsourced and powervr refuses to release specs.
          It doesn't matter where the GPU comes from - Intel uses the chip in its CPU, so it's their responsibility to support it. They failed utterly with Poulsbo and they have also failed with the new Cedar Trail.

The sad fact is that people will buy the new Atoms and will flood the forums with posts "Linux doesn't work, it sucks", just like they did with Poulsbo.

about no 64bit driver for Atom - Atom is 32bit cpu..
          No, you didn't understand. I am talking about the new 64-bit Cedar Trail Atoms that will not have 64-bit drivers. The web is buzzing with the news, e.g. vr-zone: "Intel has decided not to develop any 64-bit drivers, nor will there be any DirectX 10.1 drivers".

Besides, you are mistaken. Atoms have supported amd64 since 2008 (the "Diamondville" variant).

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            The only surprise was that the open source drivers turned out to be more attractive to embedded customers than we first expected, partly for ease of porting to other OSes/CPUs and partly because of the ability to support *extremely* long product lifetimes.
            I like this part *Happy* YES!

for general you can translate "Open-Source" with: "*extremely* long product lifetime"

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
              I like this part *Happy* YES!

for general you can translate "Open-Source" with: "*extremely* long product lifetime"
              But unfortunately, there's next to none who use computers for *extremely* long time..

Comment

correction..

*I mean, almost no one use their computer for, say, 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
                  *I mean, almost no one use their computer for, say, 10 years.
                  i do? my oldes one right now in use : amd geode 300mhz(ipcop router) and pentium 3 -500mhz(music station for the PA)

i sell the 500mhz notebook on ebay right now and they buy it i do have several watchers.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/200702802161?...84.m1555.l2649

Comment

I'm still using my 11 years old Pentium IV 2.0GHz with 512MB Rambus memory and it's still pretty fast considering the age.
                    It already died one time ---> new mobo for 10$
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                      I'm still using my 11 years old Pentium IV 2.0GHz with 512MB Rambus memory and it's still pretty fast considering the age.
                      It already died one time ---> new mobo for 10$
                      and my 500mhz p3 is much older than that.

in fact a 10year and longer support range is the money worth!

Comment

and my 500mhz p3 is much older than that.

in fact a 10year and longer support range is the money worth!
                        Well, you are rarity.

Comment

Well, you are rarity.
                          is this good or bad?

Comment

is this good or bad?
                            For me and the world, it's good. But not for the companies that sell computer, it is a no..
                            Last edited by t.s.; 01-24-2012, 07:27 AM.

Comment

For me and the world, it's good. But not for the companies that sell computer, no?
                              not for the computer selling companies? i spend all my fucking money on computers and this is not good for computer selling companies?

why is amd supporting opensource drivers on windows for ultra long time support?

maybe its good for amd to sell hardware to people like me?

Comment

not for the computer selling companies? i spend all my fucking money on computers and this is not good for computer selling companies? ...
                                'Cause you and others (the geeks, they says) can reuse your computer/computer component then you won't buy something new that can be acommodated by that [computer/ component].

Comment

Working...
                                X